Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The car you most regret selling

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-17, 10:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right off-hand, I don't have hard numbers on this to back it up, but the majority of F-Body owners, at the time, especially with the 5.7L V8, probably had manuals instead of the 4L60. The 5.7L, of course, had an iron reputation..that's why I remarked on the drivetrain-durability. When Ford went to the DOHC 4.6L around that time, it was responsive at higher RPMs, but simply couldn't match the 5.7L's low-RPM torque.

Yep.....backs and legs don't stay young forever LOL.

What do you think of the new Camaros? Outside of the peep-hole-sized windows, seems to be quite a nice product for a pony car. I did a review of an 6-speed SS a few years ago.
Actually most 4th gen Fbodies with the V8 option had the automatic. I don't know the exact number breakdown, but I'd say only about 1/3rd to 1/4 of them had the 6 speed manual. I missed my 1999 Z28 enough after I sold it that I bought another one. 1998 Z28 convertible with the 6 speed manual. Loved the convertible part, a lot more than the t-top car. There was a certain cool factor with the top down and the rumbley V8.

After owning both transmissions, I actually liked the automatic better. It was easier to put the power to the ground, the 6 speed, you either bogged the engine or just lit the tires up if you were trying to get a fast, clean launch. Heavy clutch sucked, shift action was kind of vauge. Plus the automatics weren't measurably slower, maybe 1 or 2 tenths through the quarter mile, the automatic could bang shifts off faster than I could with the manual. If you bracket race down the quarter mile, you lose with a manual, its way easier to be consistent with an automatic. Only good thing with the manual was highway fuel economy, it did 30mpg. At 70mph you were turning 1600-1700rpm.

I know everybody thinks muscle car=manual transmission. A lot of the fast cars back in the 1960's had some great automatic transmissions hooked up to the big block engines. Not only that, but all that torque from a V8 engine pairs real well with an automatic, there is a certain sense of satisfaction of just burying the throttle and holding on while the car whips you back in the seat and bangs off perfect shifts.

As for the new Camaro, both the 5th and 6th gen, HATE THOSE CARS. I never did like the styling on the 5th gen, the visibility is horrid, the interior still sucks(6th gen is better, but 5th gen had bad gauges, a weird steering wheel, ugly dash layout, meh plastics/quality). Main thing is I never could warm up to the styling, then when I saw the new 6th gen, it looks just like the 5th gen, which has been out since 2007(I'm counting the prototype and its apperance in 2007 Transformers movie). I mean WTF GM??? Coupes are purchased on style, everybody wants the latest styling, yet here we go, our new Camaro looks like the same damn thing we gave you 10 years ago.

Anyways, back on topic. Here's a pic of the 1998 Z28 rag top. I regret driving that car into the ditch, good life lesson on that one(don't drive drunk/buzzed).

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-22-17 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 12:04 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I regret trading-in in this magnificent Mazda 929 V6 with Quad Cams and 24 Valves.
It was so slinky and sexy in style.
The engine had enormous bottom end punch and a rear drive chassis with power oversteer on a massive wheelbase with such a comfortable ride - three features not found on the 2nd gen short wheelbase ES.
The styling, engine, chassis and ride were stunning.

I didn't mind the tight interior or trunk space, though the odd interstate or overseas trip for the family found the trunk wanting, because the fuel tank was placed directly behind the rear seat backrests, rather than below the rear seat base as in today's cars.

I had a silver one of these, and this was the last of my three Mazda 929's; thereafter, I moved to Mercedes and then Lexus.
Mazda went broke, and I haven't been back to them because they axed their midsize luxury rear drive sedan...

Old 10-25-17, 08:05 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,258 Likes on 999 Posts

Still wish I had this: 1993 Acura Legend GS Coupe 6 Speed Black w/ Black interior. . The Legend was ahead of its time. Pic is one just like it, but not mine.
Attached Thumbnails The car you most regret selling-legend-gs.jpg  
Old 10-25-17, 09:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Still wish I had this: 1993 Acura Legend GS Coupe 6 Speed Black w/ Black interior. . The Legend was ahead of its time. Pic is one just like it, but not mine.
That's a cool car, long live The Legend!!!