Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The car you most regret selling

Old 10-16-17, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't necessarily make you an average LS driver, any more than I am an average Buick driver. In fact, when I was a young man, age-wise, I was anything BUT an average Buick driver....yet owned two of them.
Doesn't negate anything I said. I'm certainly not an average LS driver, I'm 36 years old. However, I would say I have significant experience and insight into the different generations of the Lexus LS. The skidpad figure you mention is indicative of a generation of the LS that existed for 5 years out of the 27 the LS has existed, to say thats what "most LS drivers want" is a stretch, since the vast majority of LS buyers bought a vehicle that wasn't that way. Your characterization of the car as an archetype isn't accurate. You describe a Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac Fleetwood or Deville when you describe a Lexus LS and thats not what the car really is.

Skidpad figures:

LS400: 0.81G ~ 62.6 MPH Slalom
LS430: 0.73G ~ 61.0 MPH Slalom
LS460: 0.82G ~ 63.0 MPH Slalom

Point is, the LS430 is a significantly sloppier handling car than the LS400 or LS460 without being a significantly harder riding car, which all in all is why I feel its the least satisfying LS to drive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-16-17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Your characterization of the car as an archetype isn't accurate. You describe a Lincoln Town Car or Cadillac Fleetwood or Deville when you describe a Lexus LS and thats not what the car really is.
Not really. Several times, I've commented on the poor build quality (compared to the excellent build quality of the LS) that we saw in older Cadillacs and Lincolns of that vintage.

Skidpad figures:

LS400: 0.81G ~ 62.6 MPH Slalom
LS430: 0.73G ~ 61.0 MPH Slalom
LS460: 0.82G ~ 63.0 MPH Slalom

Point is, the LS430 is a significantly sloppier handling car than the LS400 or LS460 without being a significantly harder riding car, which all in all is why I feel its the least satisfying LS to drive.
Gets back to what I said earlier......most LS drivers probably won't care about skidpad figures. Also, the type and brand of tires used in the tests can make a difference. Later LS models, of course, handling-wise, also have the advantage of the AWD and F-Sport suspension options. Of course, some LS owners DO like some added sportiness. You remember Mike (LexFather), don't you? He had a nice LS F-Sport model a few years ago.....with Vossen wheels. That was some car.
Old 10-16-17, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. Several times, I've commented on the poor build quality (compared to the excellent build quality of the LS) that we saw in older Cadillacs and Lincolns of that vintage.
Not talking about build quality, talking about ride. My point is the LS was never a "ride before everything else" car. They made it that way with the 430, but they came back from that in the 460 and now in the 500. The 400 is the original LS, and the archetype for what the LS is meant to be.

Gets back to what I said earlier......most LS drivers probably won't care about skidpad figures. Also, the type and brand of tires used in the tests can make a difference. Later LS models, of course, handling-wise, also have the advantage of the AWD and F-Sport suspension options.
Its not about the skidpad number, its about what it represents. Its not just an arbitrary number somebody brags about, its a result of the suspension tuning of the car. While LS drivers don't care about the skidpad number, they DO care about the way the car feels and drives...which is impacted by the same suspension tuning that causes the skidpad result.

And tires don't make a .8G difference unless one car has snow tires.

The skidpad and slalom numbers I posted above are a RWD non F Sport LS460. The point is to illustrate the similarity of the LS400 (the original LS) and the LS460 in those tests, and the significant departure with the LS430.

But we are off topic here. So, while I miss the LS400 at times, I don't regret getting rid of it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-16-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not talking about build quality, talking about ride. My point is the LS was never a "ride before everything else" car. They made it that way with the 430, but they came back from that in the 460 and now in the 500. The 400 is the original LS, and the archetype for what the LS is meant to be.

Its not about the skidpad number, its about what it represents. Its not just an arbitrary number somebody brags about, its a result of the suspension tuning of the car. While LS drivers don't care about the skidpad number, they DO care about the way the car feels and drives...which is impacted by the same suspension tuning that causes the skidpad result.

And tires don't make a .8G difference unless one car has snow tires.

The skidpad and slalom numbers I posted above are a RWD non F Sport LS460. The point is to illustrate the similarity of the LS400 (the original LS) and the LS460 in those tests, and the significant departure with the LS430.

OK...as far as I'm concerned, let's drop it. No sense going on and on. Let some other posters get a word in the thread, on the cars they miss the most. I suppose, for at least some of us, in ten or fifteen years, we'll be looking back on cars we actually drove ourselves LOL.
Old 10-16-17, 07:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

W208 Mercedes I had was perfect. Sold it at 100k miles on the dot. Traded in at 99,999 for an IS300. Told the salesman it was under 100k and he had to value it as such.
Old 10-16-17, 08:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

My silver, supercharged 02 corvette z06 was sold about 8 months ago and ive never fully gotten over it yet.

I sold my first corvette about 2 years ago, a black 2000 FRC and felt nothing but relief and joy when it was gone, I figired id feel the same after the second one but I don't
Old 10-17-17, 12:06 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I also kind of regret selling my 1999 Z28 Camaro. I mean it looked the business in very dark navy blue. It was also stupid fast, lots of torque, if you were an inexperienced driver, mashing the throttle at the wrong time would send you into a spin. The LS1 V8, with a couple of bolt ons, automatic transmission, it made 305 rwhp/340 lb-ft rwtq. Car was rated at 305hp at the crank, so you know that factory hp rating was nonsense.

Old 10-17-17, 12:36 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I also kind of regret selling my 1999 Z28 Camaro. I mean it looked the business in very dark navy blue. It was also stupid fast, lots of torque, if you were an inexperienced driver, mashing the throttle at the wrong time would send you into a spin. The LS1 V8, with a couple of bolt ons, automatic transmission, it made 305 rwhp/340 lb-ft rwtq. Car was rated at 305hp at the crank, so you know that factory hp rating was nonsense.

Nice, Ive taken a liking to the newer model Camaros, the supercharged ZL1's in particular

Corvette drivetrain , bigger body , updated looks, I think they are a good buy
Old 10-17-17, 12:40 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a few shots of my Z, was making 641 hp to the crank with a magnacharger
Old 10-17-17, 06:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Here's a few shots of my Z, was making 641 hp to the crank with a magnacharger
ooo another vette fan!

2008 Pace Car, #325/500
Old 10-17-17, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I also kind of regret selling my 1999 Z28 Camaro.
Did you have any problems with it? With the exception of the durable drive-train, much of what was on those cars had a reputation for poor quality and cheapness.
Old 10-17-17, 08:07 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
It also reflects the average age of CL's Car Chat participants. Lexus, Buick folks are in their "Golden Age".

But we often find ourselves selling cars because maybe that car became "difficult" and we didn't want to deal with its issues. Then, years later we found out that it was a great car.

My personal guilt list, which will also age me to a certain extent. No original pics so these are web pics.

1970's era big block Pontiac Gran Prix. Yikes, what a beast! Yep, also a problematic car but a fun car too. 400 big block smogged up motor, but a heck of a lot of get up and go. Nice personality, brutish. I had the beautiful olive green.

I had a similar looking 1969 Gran Prix but it was white with the black top. Mine was the SJ model with a Super Duty 421 with 400 hp. Traded for a 1971 Corvette which was slower and a piece of junk as far as reliability. This was actually the same platform as the GTO/Tempest with the front wheels moved forward about a foot. View over that long hood was incredible.
Steve
Old 10-18-17, 06:21 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had two that I regret selling. One was a 1979 Corvette that I owned until until 1986 (I got married and didn't need the bait anymore). Installed a headphone jack and enjoyed tooling down the interstate with T tops off and headphones on.

Also, before that I owned a 1972 Grand Prix like pictured above. Mine was the equivalent color to british racing green with a tan interior. As stated above, the car would flat move, and back then the speed limit was 75 so everybody drove 80-90 mph on the interstate. Ordered it with a factory installed 8 Track that was mounted facing the front on hump in back floor.
Old 10-18-17, 04:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

None, I tend to drive the wheels off of my cars. By the time I get a new car, its such a big upgrade from the previous that I don't miss the old car whatsoever.
Old 10-18-17, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
None, I tend to drive the wheels off of my cars. By the time I get a new car, its such a big upgrade from the previous that I don't miss the old car whatsoever.
Do you miss the car that you first got behind the wheel of........that day you took your first driving lesson, or the first time you drove alone? That's a life-long memory for a lot of people. For me, it was a 60s vintage Plymouth Valiant. The only comparable event for me was probably the day I first soloed an airplane around the airport.....without my instructor sitting in the seat next to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The car you most regret selling