Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would the Toyota Century Sell in the States?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-17, 11:38 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Would the Toyota Century Sell in the States?

For a car that's the crème de la crème for Toyota, we thought it would fit just fine in the line up as a Lexus. I mean, why should Toyota of Japan have all the luxurious fun?

By Thomas Mabson - October 6, 2017

Old 10-06-17, 11:56 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Doubtful IMO. I don't see many people wanting to drop $100k on a Toyota here in the States (exceptions would be the Land Cruiser of course which I'm surprised they keep around when the LX outsells it). They'd probably have to rebrand it as a Lexus, and then that would take away from the LS. It would be neat though.

Now the new Crown concept would be nice to have over here.
Old 10-06-17, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No, it's not chic enough to be trendy (ex. Genesis G80). And Crossovers have too much of a foothold now. The Century would be a niche product here in the States.
Old 10-06-17, 12:31 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Give it bigger wheels, lift the suspension and voila you got Century suv.
Old 10-06-17, 02:39 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non-leather interior in a luxury car = LOL
Old 10-06-17, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't believe there are two current threads about the Crown.

It would not sell. It would be worse the Volkswagen Phaeton disaster.
Old 10-06-17, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, it would, for two reasons. First, it would appeal to those who think that a sedan should actually LOOK like one......not a four-door coupe. With that, of course, goes space-efficiency, easy entry/exit, and outward visibility. Sedans like that are almost extinct in the American market today, so there is virtually no competition. Second, not everyone is sold on the need for leather....cloth (or, in this case, wool) has a number of advantages, particularly in resistance to heat or cold, though today's heated/cooled seats have helped make leather more tolerable.

I don't agree with the LOL part, for reasons I have just explained.

Of course, however, one cannot deny the fact that this sedan would probably have just as hard a time against SUVs as any other one.......buyers in the American market have simply become addicted to today's SUV's features.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-06-17 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-06-17, 03:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't believe there are two current threads about the Crown.

It would not sell. It would be worse the Volkswagen Phaeton disaster.
Phaeton was heavy so it felt under powered and was one of the most unreliable cars on the market which led to its lack of interest and failure.

I think the Crown would find a small market, buyers who want something above a LS, possibly the only reliable 12 cylinder sedan(before they are getting rid of it). For someone looking for a Bentley or Rolls Royce type experience for 100K that is reliable and holds its value better it could find a market. It would have to be sold as a Lexus and the interior likely upgraded for American tastes.
Old 10-06-17, 04:26 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Phaeton was heavy so it felt under powered and was one of the most unreliable cars on the market which led to its lack of interest and failure.

I think the Crown would find a small market, buyers who want something above a LS, possibly the only reliable 12 cylinder sedan(before they are getting rid of it). For someone looking for a Bentley or Rolls Royce type experience for 100K that is reliable and holds its value better it could find a market. It would have to be sold as a Lexus and the interior likely upgraded for American tastes.
Agreed it would be a very unique market that it appeals to. I like it for what it is even though the V12 is underpowered but I bet it's very smooth and matches the chassis very well, too bad it's being discontinued.
Old 10-06-17, 06:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Century won’t, but Crown will, but the recent Crown models are becoming bizarre as well.
Old 10-06-17, 07:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think it could work, albeit in limited numbers and for a price around $50k. It's appearance is proper, old-fashioned, and non-offending, in the way a the old Lincoln Conti was. This could make for a perfect stretch limo too. Name it "Crown-something" and a few old money men living in Brentwood or Bell Air would probably go for it.
Old 10-06-17, 11:43 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I hate leather seats. I would take alcantara seats any day over leather.
Old 10-07-17, 12:22 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

no.

it's too plain. It would sell 100 per year.

Originally Posted by gengar
I hate leather seats. I would take alcantara seats any day over leather.
i remember reading that alcantara is actually a cheaper material, cheaper to produce, with an exorbitant price compared to leather. Isn't that like putting crap in your car?
Old 10-07-17, 12:42 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alcantara is nice to touch, but if used in seats, it would look ‘dirty’, as any touch will change the ‘wave’ in that area. I have full alcantara headliner, the uneven looks drives me crazy sometimes.
Old 10-07-17, 03:14 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
i remember reading that alcantara is actually a cheaper material, cheaper to produce, with an exorbitant price compared to leather. Isn't that like putting crap in your car?
Why, just because it's cheaper than leather? I care about functionality, not price. Cheap leather (like that found in most cars, and even stuff like sofas into the midrange price levels) is actually a horrifically lousy seating material. Leather may look better, but I'm also not looking at my seats when I'm driving.

Try it before you dismiss it.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Alcantara is nice to touch, but if used in seats, it would look ‘dirty’, as any touch will change the ‘wave’ in that area. I have full alcantara headliner, the uneven looks drives me crazy sometimes.
Alcantara can be brushed out easily. Believe me when I say the stains and wear on my '08 IS-F white leather seat bolsters bothered me a lot more than random fiber patterns in the alcantara middle portion of the seat, and I've documented on this forum how much I cleaned/detailed/treated that leather.

Quick Reply: Would the Toyota Century Sell in the States?