Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's new Century flagship loses V12 in favor of hybrid V8 with an exception

Old 10-05-17, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota's new Century flagship loses V12 in favor of hybrid V8 with an exception

As luxury cars come, the Toyota Century has occupied its own very special niche. There haven't been that many generations of the Century built since the first version was unveiled 50 years ago: The initial car survived with relatively minor changes until 1997, and the second generation was at a glance nearly identical, except for one noteworthy thing — the V12 engine. Unlike the first, V8-engined Centuries, the 1997-2016 car was powered by a five-liter 12-cylinder, which produced 280 horsepower (of course it did). That engine was Toyota's first V12, and it made the Century the sole Japanese V12 production car. And now it is no more, as the new Century for the new century again makes do with a V8 engine, albeit with hybrid tech. The change is in favor of improved fuel consumption.

The new 2018 Century will be formally introduced in the Tokyo Motor Show. And very formal it is, with the lines drawn in conservative fashion, the design treading somewhere near recent Rolls-Royces and classic Lincoln Continentals. You couldn't mistake it for anything else, and the cloth interior in the sumptuously equipped car is worth noting: no noisy leather for the discerning customer. There's plenty of legroom available thanks to the wheelbase of over 10 feet, and audio and air conditioning can be controlled from the rear seat via the prominent touchscreen. The car will be made available to customers in mid-2018; traditionally, Japanese politicians and industry leaders have been seen traveling in a Toyota Century. There is also a custom-made royal edition, which still uses the V12 engine.

One other significant nameplate used by Toyota since forever is the Crown, and it too is reborn for the next decade. The Crown Concept has Toyota combining connected tech with driver involvement, as the carmaker says the Crown has benefitted from Nürburgring testing as well as the implementation of shared traffic information technology it calls ITS Connect.
Source
Old 10-05-17, 02:10 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll actually be going this year. Looking forward to seeing the new crown especially. It will mean the Lexus gs will be right around the corner as well, hopefully. Also rumors of the supra but not keeping my hopes up
Old 10-05-17, 02:59 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I've always liked the Crown, wouldn't mind a Century either
Old 10-05-17, 03:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Anyone remember the cloth used in the original LS400? The fabric shown in the Century above reminds me of that material. I remember really liking it when it came out.

Old 10-05-17, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Anyone remember the cloth used in the original LS400? The fabric shown in the Century above reminds me of that material. I remember really liking it when it came out.

Couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan of velvet/velour cloth. That's something that has been lost to the designers of today's luxury vehicles......everything is either full-leather or Leatherette.

Here was Buick's version....in the Electra Park Avenue

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 04:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, I feel stupid b/c I never knew they were still making the Century.

Coincidentally, Buick also had a "Century".
Old 10-05-17, 04:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan of velvet/velour cloth. That's something that has been lost to the designers of today's luxury vehicles......everything is either full-leather or Leatherette.

Here was Buick's version....in the Electra Park Avenue

With normal use and maintenance the old velour would look soiled and funky pretty quick.
Old 10-05-17, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
With normal use and maintenance the old velour would look soiled and funky pretty quick.

That's why you bought it in dark colors LOL.

I'm also very careful in how I treat my seats.
Old 10-05-17, 05:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cloth bench seats and love stains could also have been a big contributor to soiled interiors back then lol
Old 10-05-17, 06:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I never had a problem with stains in my velour/cloth seats in all the cars I owned. They've always held up better than leather IMO. My old Buick with the maroon velour, 12 years old, interior looked brand new. My suggestion is to not be a slob and do not eat MickeyD's drive-thru in your car.

Anyways, glad to see Toyota putting out a new Century. This new one does look a bit more like a current Rolls, but then again you could say Rolls ripped off the boxy look of the Century when they did the Phantom about 12-13 years ago. This is seriously one of my favorite cars Toyota makes, so traditional Japanese. I thought about buying one a couple years ago(get it shipped from Japan), but the difficulty of finding parts in this part of the world kind of scared me off(especially air suspension parts)
Old 10-05-17, 06:56 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cloth bench seats and love stains could also have been a big contributor to soiled interiors back then lol
That's delicate way to put it.
Old 10-05-17, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I never had a problem with stains in my velour/cloth seats in all the cars I owned. They've always held up better than leather IMO. My old Buick with the maroon velour, 12 years old, interior looked brand new. My suggestion is to not be a slob and do not eat MickeyD's drive-thru in your car.
That's easy to enforce with adults....a lot harder with kids.

Anyways, glad to see Toyota putting out a new Century. This new one does look a bit more like a current Rolls, but then again you could say Rolls ripped off the boxy look of the Century when they did the Phantom about 12-13 years ago. This is seriously one of my favorite cars Toyota makes, so traditional Japanese. I thought about buying one a couple years ago(get it shipped from Japan), but the difficulty of finding parts in this part of the world kind of scared me off(especially air suspension parts)
What's really nice is that it actually LOOKS like a sedan....not a take-off of that (IMO) silly Mercedes CLS or VW CC stuff.
Old 10-05-17, 07:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

That's why you bought it in dark colors LOL.

I'm also very careful in how I treat my seats.
There's a reason that this miracle fabric isn't used any more.
Old 10-05-17, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There's a reason that this miracle fabric isn't used any more.

I wouldn't call it a miracle fabric....but, along with soft cushioning, it was certainly comfortable.
Old 10-05-17, 07:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That's easy to enforce with adults....a lot harder with kids.
No. My son is not allowed to eat in the car. He is allowed to drink but the cup / bottle must be covered and cannot be full. I have never had a problem with any of my cars looking like a fast-food restaurant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota's new Century flagship loses V12 in favor of hybrid V8 with an exception