Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin’s limited edition submarine is totally my next car

Old 09-28-17, 02:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Aston Martin’s limited edition submarine is totally my next car

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/28/as...-car/?ncid=rss

Aston Martin has a new concept submarine designed in partnership with submarine maker Triton Submarines. The project is codenamed “Neptune,” and the concept designs envision a sleek underwater craft with aggressive pointy-ended pontoons and a central passenger bubble cockpit with an unobstructed, all-around view.

The Neptune submersible combines Aston Martin’s design skills with Triton’s ability to produce functional submersibles for researchers, explores and the super-rich. Triton’s expertise lies in making sure that submarines can actually submerge safely, which is what gives me hope that this concept will indeed proceed to the limited edition production phase, as Aston Martin says it will.

Project Neptune is based on an existing three-person submarine platform from Triton’s lineup, so that’s another win in terms of production viability. And even when it does get made, it’s going to be an “exclusive, strictly limited edition vehicle” so you probably won’t see these dotting the local harbor regardless.

Still, I would like one, and I’ll move to an ocean-bound city to make it happen.
Old 09-28-17, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Before I trust a submarine with British electronics , I'd rather get the AM37 speedboat Aston that debuted at the Monaco Boat Show earlier this month

The 37-footer (hence the name) has been in R&D for two years. Designed by Aston Chief Creative Officer Marek Reichman working with with naval architect Mulder Design and Dutch shipbuilder Quitessence Yachts, it promises bespoke design with state-of-the-art marine technology.

It's designed to carry six passengers and two crew members, and each interior is custom outfitted.

Reichman used the same "golden ratio" employed in all kinds of art and architecture — and in the design of Aston Martin cars. A single piece of curved glass wraps around the cockpit, and the decks are natural teak. The boat on display in Monaco was outfitted with cream-colored leather. The electrically controlled cockpit cover can be deployed from the lucky owner's Apple Watch. Aston plans to build just 10 of these per year. The AM37 costs $1.6 million.

Source

Old 09-28-17, 03:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

And I might pick up this new Honda...

While not quite light enough to be considered a very light jet (VLJ), because its max takeoff weight just barely exceeds five tons, the HondaJet is similar in principle, with low(ish) operating costs, but it is still a jet and commands a jet-age price. The twin-engine HondaJet starts at $4,900,000, and keeping it in the air is an investment, too. Operating costs have tons of variables, but most estimates put the HondaJet’s operation at just over $1000 per hour (this includes maintenance, fuel, depreciation, and other factors).
Its five screens, including three 14.1-inch main displays and two smaller 5.7-inch touchscreens for management, give the pilot all the information one needs and, in general, clean up the layout. There are so few buttons and *****—the engine-start buttons look as if they were lifted out of an S2000 and given an aluminum plating—that it seems as if a novice could figure it out. But we know that isn’t the case. Most insurers prefer that pilots new to such planes spend 25 hours in the cockpit with an instructor alongside, too.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-flight-review
Old 09-28-17, 03:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
And I might pick up this new Honda...
Well played.

If you got some spare change after the Honda purchase, get yourself a Porsche too

Porsche GTT 115 Superyacht

Perhaps as much as sports cars, Porsche also stands for design. Formerly known as Porsche Design Studio and now trading under the name Studio F.A. Porsche, the company's industrial design and product design arm pens everything from watches to external hard drives, from eyewear to cutlery — and cars aren't the only mode of transport with a Porsche stamp on them. Some cities have Porsche-designed trains, and it is only logical that there should be a Porsche yacht.

Created together with the Monégasque shipbuilder Dynamiq, the GTT 115 Superyacht comes heavily laden with references to the four-wheeled Porsche products. In its press release, the design studio compares the yacht's lines and proportions to the 911 and the interior fittings to the Mission E Brown concept. Naturally the yacht can be customized according to the customer's taste — as long as the customer is as tasteful as the shipbuilder. "Sophisticated customers can choose from different colour schemes with perfectly coordinated colour combinations, as you would expect from vehicle configurators."

The 115-foot yacht is powered by two 1,650 horsepower MAN V12 diesel engines paired to Fortjes pod-drives, giving it a top speed of 21 knots and a maximum range of 3,400 nautical miles. It is priced at $16.7 million, and so far seven examples have been built.

Source

Old 09-28-17, 04:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Austin Martin customer service. How can I help you Mr. Bond?"
"Well my engine seems to have had a malfunction?"
"We can certainly help you with roadside assistance. Where exactly are you?"
"About a quarter of the way down the Mariana trench. Do you have AAA underwater?" ...