Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worlds greatest drag race 7- with LC500

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 06:41 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Worlds greatest drag race 7- with LC500

Lexus NEEDS to step up with their performance line..

If i had 160k to blow, P100D in a heart beat
Old 09-23-17, 07:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Impressive for the Tesla, but If I had 160K to spend, It wouldn't make my short list. So many other cars in that line up that stir up more emotion and grandeur than the Model S. Looks too pedestrian.
Old 09-23-17, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the problem with tesla is if you have a fully charged one it is insane, but after 2-3 runs i am not sure where it will be anymore. and same with RXSF, tesla won't be on my list when i am spending 160k.

lc500 is not the fastest lexus but it already has the most powerful lexus engine in production right now. they definitely need something better soon. but to be fair not sure if it's a fair fight for them to be in this race either
Old 09-23-17, 10:30 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Always love 'The world's greatest drag races"! They do an excellent job IMO.
But to be fair, the LC500 is NOT lexus' performance line vehicle....the 'F' lines are their performance variants (ISF, GSF, RCF, and LFA). All the "F" vehicles are faster than the LC500, but sadly, all but the LFA would have ended last in this race. Some pretty stout vehicles in this race though.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 09-24-17 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-24-17, 07:57 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
the problem with tesla is if you have a fully charged one it is insane, but after 2-3 runs i am not sure where it will be anymore. and same with RXSF, tesla won't be on my list when i am spending 160k.

lc500 is not the fastest lexus but it already has the most powerful lexus engine in production right now. they definitely need something better soon. but to be fair not sure if it's a fair fight for them to be in this race either
search for "the tesla racing channel" on youtube. This guy is drag racing the tesla back to back with consistent results.

The LC500 engine is derived from the original ISF. At least back in the days, the ISF was competitive in its segment. Now the RCF/GSF (same engine as LC500), are a tier behind its peers in every category. The sales number and heavy discounts shows..

I concluded Lexus is flat out scared to create something new, exciting and competitive in fear of losing the "reliability" status. Here is the kicker.. I had to take in my brand new RCF for warranty repairs 4 times within 17 month of ownership.
Honestly though, thats not the top priority for a performance vehicle buyer. Most get rid of it in 3-4 years or lease end.
Old 09-24-17, 09:55 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question to those who know. Do car mfg have various prototype engines running around in "used" (their own obviously) cars to test them? JUST the engine where they don't really care about the shell of the car to test it's reliability, longevity and work out the kinks etc?
On the other hand with computers and the tons of engines already made such do they already know the outcomes of various engine designs?
Thanks.
Old 09-24-17, 10:42 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if Lexus has the capability to deliver this but possibly Hyundai and Kia will beat them to it and probably sooner than one might imagine.
Old 09-24-17, 04:30 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Not sure if Lexus has the capability to deliver this but possibly Hyundai and Kia will beat them to it and probably sooner than one might imagine.
I don't know about that. Considering most of Lexus cars are due for a redesign when they debut Hyundai/kia cars might not be able to keep up.
Old 09-24-17, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
search for "the tesla racing channel" on youtube. This guy is drag racing the tesla back to back with consistent results.
a while back, i believe it was the lightning lap testing, people questioned why they didn't include the tesla p90d. editors reported that they would love to, however after the first lap of great results, they car quickly ran out of juice on the second lap.

bottom line, unless things have drastically changed (which i highly doubt), model s simply doesn't carry enough capability for me to call it consistent on the track over and over.
Old 09-24-17, 10:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Jaw dropping performance from Tesla, just wow. And remember the electric drivetrain is only into its modern infancy. Props to Tesla's software engineers the way the car uses all available grip is unbelievable.
Old 09-25-17, 05:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

I test drove a Model S with ludicrous mode software prior to buying my LS460. The feeling of acceleration you get in a Tesla is unlike anything I've ever experienced. Highly recommend folks take one for a test drive- it is mind boggling.
Old 09-25-17, 08:02 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

a while back, i believe it was the lightning lap testing, people questioned why they didn't include the tesla p90d. editors reported that they would love to, however after the first lap of great results, they car quickly ran out of juice on the second lap.

bottom line, unless things have drastically changed (which i highly doubt), model s simply doesn't carry enough capability for me to call it consistent on the track over and over.
I doubt a fully charged p100d with 300 mile range will run out of juice after running a 2 mile course full power.
Glitches can be said for a lot of high performance cars. First example comes to mind is the performance oriented Z06 over heating just after a lap or two. Does that mean the z06 is an inferior sports car? They fixed the issue right away, nothing is perfect...especially in the hp catagory

Last edited by ssmoked; 09-25-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 09:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That Tesla was insane. I see quite a few of those Teslas in my area and had no idea they were so fast.
Old 09-25-17, 10:34 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Always love 'The world's greatest drag races"! They do an excellent job IMO.
But to be fair, the LC500 is NOT lexus' performance line vehicle....the 'F' lines are their performance variants (ISF, GSF, RCF, and LFA). All the "F" vehicles are faster than the LC500, but sadly, all but the LFA would have ended last in this race. Some pretty stout vehicles in this race though.

V.
Tell that to Lexus, many of the latest print ads I see tout the "Lexus Performance Line" with the LC, along with the RC F and GS F.
Old 09-25-17, 10:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Question to those who know. Do car mfg have various prototype engines running around in "used" (their own obviously) cars to test them? JUST the engine where they don't really care about the shell of the car to test it's reliability, longevity and work out the kinks etc?
On the other hand with computers and the tons of engines already made such do they already know the outcomes of various engine designs?
Thanks.
There are many such cases where mules are built up utilizing existing bodies and run the new engine/transmission/etc. This is after and in coordination with the simulation iterations that you mentioned.

Quick Reply: Worlds greatest drag race 7- with LC500