Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Addition to the Garage - 2018 Odyssey Elite

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 06:04 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I give Allen 3 months before the Oddysey is dropped 3" on coilovers with concave wheels, tinted windows, clear bra, HID's and oh wait no that would be if I owned it.
Old 09-21-17, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
BTW...don't update to iOS 11 yet. 2/3rds of my apps don't work yet as the developers haven't adjusted them for 11 yet. Seems stable but things like this pop up everywhere.
Too late on ios11 (ipad) and no issues, and love it, esp. the new keyboard!
Old 09-21-17, 06:24 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I need the ground clearance for the snow and the headlights and fog lights are LEDs My first and only mod:

Old 09-21-17, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Too late on ios11 (ipad) and no issues, and love it, esp. the new keyboard!
Oh I love it, especially on the iPad. They'll get the bugs ironed out. All my issues are with apps.
Old 09-21-17, 10:08 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No minivans hold their value very well.
True. Wife put our Toyota Sienna with 330k up for sale on CL for $5k and "sold" within the hour and got picked up the next morning.
Old 09-21-17, 10:11 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Op,
Congrats on a beautiful minivan. I've always liked Honda's minivans. Man, they are the perfect all around vehicle. Hauling furniture, sleeping quarters whilst camping, epic cross country vehicle. Love mini van!
Great review btw.
Cheers!
Old 09-23-17, 09:15 AM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 Elite. I have been averaging a new Odyssey for wife/3 kids every 3 year’s since 2005. Kids are much older now (17, 14, 13) and considering moving wife off the minivan cycle, lol

- New gen Accord
- New Kia Stinger
- Or SUV (Highlander, Pathfinder)

Odyssey thread, could not have been more pleased with this Honda model thru multiple generations.
Old 09-23-17, 09:58 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats on the new oddy.

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
True. Wife put our Toyota Sienna with 330k up for sale on CL for $5k and "sold" within the hour and got picked up the next morning.
Wow, 330k miles? With Original engine+tranny?
Old 09-24-17, 09:34 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Congrats on the new oddy.

Wow, 330k miles? With Original engine+tranny?
Original engine yes. Had to replace tranny at 328 whilst on our way to Disneyland. My Dumba$$ decided to change out the tranny fluid at 328k. In hindsight and after talking to three tranny shops giving unbiased opinion and decades of experience to understand what happened they said they would never do that. Lesson learned. Now would the tranny have gone out anyway? A coincidence? It was strong and displayed no sign of slippage prior to the trip as I commute long distances so I have to say it was me changing out the fluid that caused it. It flushed all the "glue" holding the internal parts of the tranny together. It was replaced with another 70k Sienna tranny. I still see it running around town and occasionally at my daughter's school. Amazing minivan.
Cheers.
Old 09-24-17, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Original engine yes. Had to replace tranny at 328 whilst on our way to Disneyland. My Dumba$$ decided to change out the tranny fluid at 328k. In hindsight and after talking to three tranny shops giving unbiased opinion and decades of experience to understand what happened they said they would never do that. Lesson learned. Now would the tranny have gone out anyway? A coincidence? It was strong and displayed no sign of slippage prior to the trip as I commute long distances so I have to say it was me changing out the fluid that caused it. It flushed all the "glue" holding the internal parts of the tranny together. It was replaced with another 70k Sienna tranny. I still see it running around town and occasionally at my daughter's school. Amazing minivan.
Cheers.

Flushing out old, high-mileage transmissions can actually be worse on them than leaving the old fluid in. That's because old, deteriorated seals and gaskets can be dissolved by the combination of the strong fluid pressure and harsh cleaning solution, leaving holes and slits for the transmission fluid to run right out. Pat Goss, the well-known Lead Technician of Motorweek, has spoken on that issue numerous times (he also owns his own repair shop).
Old 09-27-17, 09:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Flushing out old, high-mileage transmissions can actually be worse on them than leaving the old fluid in. That's because old, deteriorated seals and gaskets can be dissolved by the combination of the strong fluid pressure and harsh cleaning solution, leaving holes and slits for the transmission fluid to run right out. Pat Goss, the well-known Lead Technician of Motorweek, has spoken on that issue numerous times (he also owns his own repair shop).
You said it better than I could. I learned my lesson that's for sure. Now my wife avoids most all long distance travel and buys Southwest tickets. Lol. Like today was $29 one way to L.A. (with six days blacked out, include any day ending in Y and holidays. So we'll see). Leaving the cars home and save wear & tear etc.
Old 10-04-17, 09:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Quick 500 mile check in. They swapped out the entire driver's side mirror and it works perfectly now. Door issue never happened again so I'll chalk it up to first day gremlins.

Pros: Car rides super smooth, engine never seems to struggle, and it's just a comfortable ride. Android Auto makes my GS feel ancient and makes me slightly angry because of the wasted real estate on the screen in the GS

Cons: electronic nannies are annoying (but easily turned off), steering is annoyingly light, speed of the auto doors/hatch is really slow. In hot temps, the AC feels weak. Since we have the extra space, I put my 2.5 year old back to rear facing, but without roof vents, it can get very hot in the back since she doesn't have any airflow that can reach her.

In the middle: gas mileage is okay at about 20 MPG. It's probably at 80/20 city/highway at this point and with all of the idling I've been doing. Auto start/stop is a little jarring because I'm quick off the brake and on the gas and it can cause the van to be a bit jerky off the line.

Overall, still happy with it though
Old 10-04-17, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No roof vents? Thats interesting...
Old 10-04-17, 11:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
In hot temps, the AC feels weak. Since we have the extra space, I put my 2.5 year old back to rear facing, but without roof vents, it can get very hot in the back since she doesn't have any airflow that can reach her.
Have they checked the freon level in the A/C? Might need a recharge or just have a slow leak. In the meantime, until they address that, if possible, just try lowering the rear window a little to let some fresh air in and circulate while your kid is back there, though that may not be possible with the sliding doors.
Old 10-04-17, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because the solution to a poorly designed AC system in a $50,000 van is cracking a window lol

Quick Reply: New Addition to the Garage - 2018 Odyssey Elite