Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 07:39 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Just imagine if Akio had followed through and delivered this 5LS below.
It looks nothing like an S Class, and it would probably draw more attention than the S Class.
I wouldn't be surprized if such an LS would turn more heads than the LC Coupe.

Pity Akio and I don't always see eye to eye.
I don't mind his sharp angular styling at all.
Though I wish he would have two separate suspension set ups: a softer set up for the base and luxury model, an a firmer set up for the F Sport models - rather than just using the one firm set up with the one set of coil spring and one set of damper part numbers for the entire range, but I suspect that the more recent models do come with two separate suspension tunes.
Lately, we do see eye to eye with the electrification of TMC, rather than tiddling around with gasoline-electric hybrids, and hydrogen fuel cell powered electric vehicles like the ugly Mirai.

Old 09-18-17, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

mmarshall - respectfully, can we please not bring buick or the lacrosse into every thread, it's completely irrelevant here. i have removed the discussion posts. and please, no response to this action in this thread. you can take it up via pm with me or another moderator if you wish. thank you.

all - i have also removed discussion of mb s class and similarities to e and c class as they are also irrelevant.
Old 09-18-17, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
i agree that's stunning and i like the straight accent/shape on the side, vs the waves of the final car.

Though I wish he would have two separate suspension set ups: a softer set up for the base and luxury model, an a firmer set up for the F Sport models - rather than just using the one firm set up with the one set of coil spring and one set of damper part numbers for the entire range, but I suspect that the more recent models do come with two separate suspension tunes.
i think we still need to see final tests / specs to know what's been done, but it seems like the f-sport is more differentiated this time around. i also highly doubt the non f-sport will in any way be described as 'firm', and in fact, with high end suspensions and controls today, one word typically can't define the range of capability.
Old 09-18-17, 07:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Akio kept the LC practically untouched and the LS concept still looks similar
Old 09-18-17, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

And there is an available air suspension for those wanting the softest ride.
Old 09-18-17, 08:27 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That concept looks like a Japanese Quattroporte and I mean that as a compliment. Toyota is getting bolder but they're not that bold to pursue a sporty coupe-like sedan as their flagship, just like how the Audi A8 and A7 share a lot of parts but the A7 is still considered a niche model. The good thing is that it leaves the next GS to be a potential Gran Coupe-style model sharing similar styling with the LC and LS.
Old 09-18-17, 09:23 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I've watched most of the videos released over the last few days. The appearance is definitely growing on me- I think with the right wheels it'll be a head-turner. The view from the side has grown on me and I don't mind the back of the car as much as I did upon some of the first launch photos. I still don't like the glass origami design on the interior (which is optional) and personally find the "confetti explosion" graphic a little bizarre for a luxury sedan (I'm referring to what happens on the dash when you turn the car on). I do like how the digital dash changes slightly between each driving mode (sport, comfort, eco). I think the interior looks nice, especially the seats as they look a bit more substantial and "stately" like what you see in the S class. I still don't quite understand what's directly in front of the passenger (above the "guitar strings" and to the right of the nav screen) - is that a screen? Does it do anything?

I don't buy new cars so I'm not in the market here. I'm not as opposed to the design as I once was- in fact, it's grown on me quite a bit. I'm very excited to hear driving impressions from the experts and from members of the forum and I'll definitely go drive one for myself.
Old 09-18-17, 12:34 PM
Bogglo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks nothing like an S Class, and it would probably draw more attention than the S Class.

Pity Akio and I don't always see eye to eye.
I don't mind his sharp angular styling at all.
Lately, we do see eye to eye with the electrification of TMC, rather than tiddling around with gasoline-electric hybrids, and hydrogen fuel cell powered electric vehicles like the ugly Mirai.

maybe a mid-cycle refresh. But I can only imagine how heavy it would be.
Old 09-18-17, 08:27 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And there is an available air suspension for those wanting the softest ride.
I'm curious if they use the same base technology as the old LS. Can't wait to get the specs especially for the LS500h to see if the efficiency & performance meets the expectations of the price tag (speaking from a LS600h perspective). Seeing how the LC500h gets 26/35 mpg, assuming the LS added weight, reasonable to expect 22/30mpg hopefully?

That said, the new 2019 to-be-released ES also is rumored to have an available air suspension.
Old 09-19-17, 04:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Watch the videos, both items are discussed.
Old 09-19-17, 11:53 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Watch the videos, both items are discussed.
D'oh thanks for pointing that out. 25 city/33 highway...impressive!
Old 09-19-17, 12:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be willing to try the hybrid out and see how the feel is...
Old 09-19-17, 01:24 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
I'm curious if they use the same base technology as the old LS. Can't wait to get the specs especially for the LS500h to see if the efficiency & performance meets the expectations of the price tag (speaking from a LS600h perspective). Seeing how the LC500h gets 26/35 mpg, assuming the LS added weight, reasonable to expect 22/30mpg hopefully?

That said, the new 2019 to-be-released ES also is rumored to have an available air suspension.
It's 28 combined and under 5.5 zero to sixty
Old 09-19-17, 02:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be willing to try the hybrid out and see how the feel is...
with hybrids seeming to hold their value well, it might play well with a lease too...
Old 09-19-17, 03:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

nope. That hunchback looks worse than the one on the production version.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h