Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Many of the very wealthy don't care much for the trappings of wealth. Warren Buffett now drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS for which he traded a 2006 DTS. He has so much money that he doesn't need to impress anyone. Guessing what the very wealthy will do is impossible because they can be very diverse.
Steve
With an empire of chain-restaurants and processed-food companies to run, he probably doesn't spend much time, like we do, either talking about cars or driving them.
Old 09-30-17, 09:03 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

We are long time BH holders.

He only runs the holding company.

His model to to buy assets with good management in place (and also gets phenomenal deals when he puts some of the giant cash pile to use when some one has a deal that needs big financing on the quick).

He doesn't appear to have the ***** or know how to clean up Wells Fargo.

Back on topic, he didn't even pick the Crappilac himself. There was a story on one of his people doing it for him, plus he has relationships with GM leadership so he continues to go with these cars.
Old 10-01-17, 05:41 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts
Default 2 subtle design cues I like on the LS 500

The LS500 represents a radical design change from the 460 (polarizing to some). However in the radical re-design there are some subtle changes- I've been looking more at the 500 in pictures and videos and noticed 2 subtle exterior design changes from the 460 that I really like. What are a couple of subtle changes you guys like?

1) I don't know the right term for this, but I like how they created a crease/angle in the sheet metal that goes diagonally and spans the front and rear doors.
2) I like how they extended the chrome accent past the rear wheels. In the 460 you only have the chrome accent on the doors - this subtle change seems to create continuity of the accent as it now goes all the way around the car (it looks like they have this accent between the exhaust pipes as well)
2a) I think they also lowered where the chrome accent is placed. On my 460 the accent is part of the door whereas on the 500 it appears to be slightly below the door.

One thing I noticed that I don't understand is why they put "Lexus" on the head light lens. Are they doing this on other new models as well? What's the point of this?
Old 10-01-17, 06:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Many of the very wealthy don't care much for the trappings of wealth. Guessing what the very wealthy will do is impossible because they can be very diverse.
Steve
I agree. I think in the book Millionaire Next Door, the most popular car at the time for wealthy was a Buick.

Guessing what the very wealthy will do is impossible because they can be very diverse.
This is why I have never understood why some people need to tell you that they "could" afford it but chose "not" to buy it. You either can or you can't. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 10-01-17, 08:33 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
One thing I noticed that I don't understand is why they put "Lexus" on the head light lens. Are they doing this on other new models as well? What's the point of this?
I don't know if this is being done on other Lexus models, but it is something that is occasionally done on other automakers' (premium / flagship) models. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall this being done on Oldsmobile (Aurora?) and Buick models.
Old 10-01-17, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. I think in the book Millionaire Next Door, the most popular car at the time for wealthy was a Buick.

This is why I have never understood why some people need to tell you that they "could" afford it but chose "not" to buy it. You either can or you can't. Actions speak louder than words.
A lot of the time it's a case of where someone places the value of their purchase vs. can they afford it. Financially the can afford that $60k car, but to them a $50k car is of greater value overall.
Old 10-01-17, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A lot of the time it's a case of where someone places the value of their purchase vs. can they afford it. Financially the can afford that $60k car, but to them a $50k car is of greater value overall.
Fair point. But it is still irrelevant. You can either afford the car or you cannot. There is no value in telling me you can. Do you not agree?

If someone leases a vehicle vs owns a vehicle. What difference does it make if you tell someone you could of bought said vehicle but you chose to lease instead. Nothing. You didn't buy it.

Same thing for you buying new vs used. You either can buy one new or you can't. What is the point of telling someone you could of bought it new but chose to buy via the used route. Nothing. You didn't buy it new.

If someone came up to me with their new V12 AMC S-class cabriolet and told me they bought it new for cash. I would be like. "Ok cool, you bought it new for cash"

But if someone else came up to me and said I bought a new V8 non AMG fixed coupe S-class for cash. And then went on to tell me they could of but didn't buy a V12 AMC S-class cabriolet. I would say "ok cool, you didn't buy a V12....".

What is the need to tell me?

In my experience. People who have money or the money to buy something (whatever it maybe), they buy it. They don't have the need to tell me they could of bought this but didn't.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-01-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 12:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Fair point. But it is still irrelevant. You can either afford the car or you cannot. There is no value in telling me you can. Do you not agree?

If someone leases a vehicle vs owns a vehicle. What difference does it make if you tell someone you could of bought said vehicle but you chose to lease instead. Nothing. You didn't buy it.

Same thing for you buying new vs used. You either can buy one new or you can't. What is the point of telling someone you could of bought it new but chose to buy via the used route. Nothing. You didn't buy it new.

If someone came up to me with their new V12 AMC S-class cabriolet and told me they bought it new for cash. I would be like. "Ok cool, you bought it new for cash"

But if someone else came up to me and said I bought a new V8 non AMG fixed coupe S-class for cash. And then went on to tell me they could of but didn't buy a V12 AMC S-class cabriolet. I would say "ok cool, you didn't buy a V12....".

What is the need to tell me?

In my experience. People who have money or the money to buy something (whatever it maybe), they buy it. They don't have the need to tell me they could of bought this but didn't.
Points taken. There is need to tell people that you have more than enough money to buy this or that etc.
Old 10-02-17, 02:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Points taken. There is need to tell people that you have more than enough money to buy this or that etc.
Right... However, what do you say if someone says "Aw, man, you should have gotten the V12! Why not?"

I would say, "None of your business". Or, I might say, "To be honest, the V8 is just a better car." if I felt that way. Who knows? I probably would never buy an S-class coupe/convertible anyway.
Old 10-03-17, 01:48 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

I don't agree. You're missing the fact that someone is validating their point to themselves and to you (in this case as the other poster pointed out, it's about value). I think you also may be missing out on an opportunity to see something from a different view point.

Someone who truly can afford to buy a brand new car but chooses to buy used is justifying their position by telling you why they bought used. This happens for various reasons- sometimes because they feel slightly insecure for their decision and are trying to justify it or get approval from others. Other times they may know you disagree with them and they want to show you their point of view. Make no mistake about it, very wealthy people do this all the time...and sometimes if you listen to what they say it may trigger you learning something about how and why they purchase things in certain ways to take advantage of tax loopholes, etc. It has nothing to do with having money vs. not. It's human nature to defend your decisions and seek some form of acceptance.

Off topic, but one of my biggest grammatical pet peeves has happened a few times on this page. It's not "could of" - it's "could have". Ex: "You could have purchased new..."
Old 10-03-17, 06:53 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I didn't see Alex on Autos complain about all the imperfections you mentioned.
Dont think I was referring specifically to the LS.
Old 10-03-17, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily. Active Noise Cancellation, which is used by several different manufacturers today, tends to block even the small irritating noises inside.
Is that for road and wind noise or all noises? Will it cancel it out rattles and creaks and groans? Not saying the LS is made from spaghettis but those kinds of noises are inevitable from any vehicle.
Old 10-03-17, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I don't agree. You're missing the fact that someone is validating their point to themselves and to you (in this case as the other poster pointed out, it's about value). I think you also may be missing out on an opportunity to see something from a different view point.

Someone who truly can afford to buy a brand new car but chooses to buy used is justifying their position by telling you why they bought used. This happens for various reasons- sometimes because they feel slightly insecure for their decision and are trying to justify it or get approval from others. Other times they may know you disagree with them and they want to show you their point of view. Make no mistake about it, very wealthy people do this all the time...and sometimes if you listen to what they say it may trigger you learning something about how and why they purchase things in certain ways to take advantage of tax loopholes, etc. It has nothing to do with having money vs. not. It's human nature to defend your decisions and seek some form of acceptance.

Off topic, but one of my biggest grammatical pet peeves has happened a few times on this page. It's not "could of" - it's "could have". Ex: "You could have purchased new..."
Agreed on all counts. It’s a discussion forum, and people try and put their viewpoints and opinions in context when discussing them with people who they don’t know personally.
Old 10-03-17, 08:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I haven't followed all the thread....but I have a wealthy HS buddy. His house is 6 mil. in Brookline, MA. He has never bought a new car in his life. He does have 2 Porsches, one Audi A8, and some empty garages. At my wedding in 2008, he told me he had bought a BMW X5 non-CPO to save the difference, from an authorized BMW dealership. The motor cooked at 54k, and he was told it's out of warranty and a new motor will cost him 5 figures. They went as far as saying he poured some stop leak substance into the cooling system which destroyed the motor. He told me he argued with them as if he were fighting for his life, a) He doesn't know where to pour the coolant in b) losing over 10k is not a good feeling to him

The other thing is everybody on this thread, well, your retirement has to be at a historical high, so you, me, everyone here could likely easily buy a LS500 cash. But I slipped up in my statement, likely easily is completely false. Our retirements may be multiples of a LS500, but it has a specific purpose. So we get back to the question of affordability. I don't think it's the same as the economic definition, willing and able. I'm willing, and I'm able to get a LS500. But you won't see one in my garage until at least 2022, and maybe 2025....
Old 10-03-17, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
... I have a wealthy HS buddy. His house is 6 mil. in Brookline, MA. ... At my wedding in 2008, he told me he had bought a BMW X5 non-CPO to save the difference, from an authorized BMW dealership. The motor cooked at 54k, and he was told it's out of warranty and a new motor will cost him 5 figures. They went as far as saying he poured some stop leak substance into the cooling system which destroyed the motor. He told me he argued with them as if he were fighting for his life, a) He doesn't know where to pour the coolant in b) losing over 10k is not a good feeling to him
some 'savings'.

I'm willing, and I'm able to get a LS500. But you won't see one in my garage until at least 2022, and maybe 2025....
your choice of course that you're not willing to buy a new one. doesn't mean that's the right decision for everyone.

i bet your cheap *** wealthy buddy wishes he'd had a warranty on the X5.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h