Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 11:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
That would be my next step if I were Lexus. Replace both the GX and LX with a new SUV off the GA-L platform. Short wheelbase to compete with X-5 and long wheelbase to compete with the coming X-7. Leave the RX as-is as the value/volume choice.
Is GA-L the new truck platform or is that different?
Old 01-06-18, 06:16 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Is GA-L the new truck platform or is that different?
It is the platform for the LC and the new LS. I'm suggesting that Lexus introduce new larger crossovers to replace the trucks.
Old 01-06-18, 07:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I went back and watched some of the 'everything you want to know' lexus briefing video and the rear seat package review and the new car is phenominal in terms of interior and creature comforts. major upgrade over the car it's replacing. however, i can't get past the fact that they made the car low and very long, presumably to give it the styling and room they wanted while saying unequivocally, this is NOT an suv! i say i can't get past it because what's the point? The long, low and sleek aspects make this car more panamera like, but to me that automatically makes it a niche car today and harder to get in and out of. i think this new ls will do fine, but i wouldn't be surprised to see the germans go in another direction making their flagships taller and easier to get in and out of. but as far as showing what lexus can do, which i always knew to be 'anything' ! This is a tour de force.

Old 01-06-18, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I went back and watched some of the 'everything you want to know' lexus briefing video and the rear seat package review and the new car is phenominal in terms of interior and creature comforts. major upgrade over the car it's replacing. however, i can't get past the fact that they made the car low and very long, presumably to give it the styling and room they wanted while saying unequivocally, this is NOT an suv! i say i can't get past it because what's the point? The long, low and sleek aspects make this car more panamera like, but to me that automatically makes it a niche car today and harder to get in and out of. i think this new ls will do fine, but i wouldn't be surprised to see the germans go in another direction making their flagships taller and easier to get in and out of. but as far as showing what lexus can do, which i always knew to be 'anything' ! This is a tour de force.
The car will raise itself once you park it. So getting in and out should be no different than the current model.
Old 01-06-18, 07:59 AM
oldcajun
Racer

You may have hit on the design strategy for future sedans: lower and sportier so they feel and drive much differently than the crossovers. Back when SUV's were truck based, they drove much differently than the sedans. Today's crossovers actually drive pretty much like the sedans they were based on, so buyers are opting for the space advantage they offer. This may not yield the old style luxury car some of us want, but it could keep sedans viable.
Old 01-06-18, 08:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You may have hit on the design strategy for future sedans: lower and sportier so they feel and drive much differently than the crossovers. Back when SUV's were truck based, they drove much differently than the sedans. Today's crossovers actually drive pretty much like the sedans they were based on, so buyers are opting for the space advantage they offer. This may not yield the old style luxury car some of us want, but it could keep sedans viable.
I believe the goal is to make something special in driving dynamics and fun. Hence lower and sportier LS. They need to offer something of emotional significance to make some leave a smooth riding cross over for a sedan.
Old 01-06-18, 08:15 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The car will raise itself once you park it. So getting in and out should be no different than the current model.
Only if you opt for the air suspension which is likely going to be pretty pricey.
Old 01-06-18, 08:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Only if you opt for the air suspension which is likely going to be pretty pricey.
Good catch. Didn’t realize that.
Old 01-06-18, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Folks, as someone who samples a lot of different vehicles, and drives a pretty low-slung sedan myself (and, though still in generally good health for my age, has not-so-young legs and back), let me give you a little tip on coping with that. When getting into the drivers' seat, instead of trying to contort yourself like a pretzel to clear a low steering wheel, a low roof, the seat-cushion, and the door-sills all at once, simply stand, turn your body to the left, 90 degrees, facing away from the car, and lower your butt and torso straight back into the seat (you can grab onto the B-pillar or similar structure with one hand if you need a further brace while doing so). Then, once your butt and torso are seated, lift your legs and feet a couple of inches over the door-sill and place them in front of you. Then adjust your seat (if not already adjusted to your tastes), fasten your belt, and you're ready to go. It helps, of course, with an unfamiliar vehicle, if the seat is all the way back and the cushion lowered the first time you get in, so you have maximum room to start...then you can adjust it. Getting back out, essentially do the reverse. After you are unbuckled, first raise your feet and legs a couple of inches to clear the door dill, rotate yourself 90 degrees to the left so that both feet are sticking out the door, and push yourself up by pressing down on the door-sill...presto, you can step right out. Works for me every time.

In fact, back in the early 1960s, Chrysler used to offer swiveling front bucket-seats that made it easier for some not-so-lithe people, but, like some other great Chrysler ideas (built-in rear child seats, for one), faded into obscurity.

Ford Thunderbirds, back in the 1960s, also had a nifty idea that faded into obscurity.....a steering column that (manually) swung away as you got in and out to make it easier.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 09:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

LS should of taken a 1st gen LS formula and updated to the 21st Century.

People who buy large luxury sedans want quiet, smooth and relaxing transportation.
Very few want sporty suspension /steering etc. And for those that do there is a Panamera.

Lexus built its name on the original LS philosophy - they should take to next level instead of recreating from scratch to be "sporty."
Old 01-06-18, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

People who buy large luxury sedans want quiet, smooth and relaxing transportation.
Very few want sporty suspension /steering etc. And for those that do there is a Panamera.

Lexus built its name on the original LS philosophy - they should take to next level instead of recreating from scratch to be "sporty."

The excuse that we keep hearing from the automakers and auto press is that most of those older, cush-tush customers that want a rolling living room are all dying off or are not going to be driving much longer. Like you, I simply don't buy that. Every day, I see too much evidence to the contrary.
Old 01-06-18, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody would buy it.
Old 01-06-18, 09:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Why? The American consumer overwhelmingly prefers FWD based on sales numbers. Right or wrong , better or worse, justified or not. FWD offers a whole range of benefits that RWD does not. Overwhelmingly, the majority of people “think” they want a certain thing about a car but in fact what they really want it different. All the Corolla, Camry, Accord, Civic, Rav, Rogue, CRV etc etc back this up.The RX and being FWD will always have a leg up on its direct immediate competition if the competition were RWD.
Unfortunately most people grow up on FWD cars and that is all they know. Once you drive a RWD based car/SUV it's impossible to go back.
Most RWD cars are very expensive and not very common unless you move up to Luxury brands or sports cars.

My friend who had an RX has no idea about FWD/RWD. He bought RX for reliability and Lexus reputation.When his lease was coming up, I recommended the new X5 and he was blown away by how dynamic the car is to drive etc. He got it but his payment is almost double of the RX.
Old 01-06-18, 09:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Nobody would buy it.
My dad would buy it and he is the target consumer.
He has had LS430, LS460, Jag XJ, BMW 750i, currently has S550. Out of all those he still wants the LS430 lol. He hates low cars and low profile tires with large wheels.

Just ask ppl that buy these cars, they want extreme comfort and top notch build quality.
Old 01-06-18, 09:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Unfortunately most people grow up on FWD cars and that is all they know. Once you drive a RWD based car/SUV it's impossible to go back.

That's the exact opposite of my generations experience. The only cars that were FWD were Eldo's and Tornado's.

I've lived in the Chicago area my entire life. Once they outlawed studded tires, winter driving became a huge challenge. My dad bought a new Tornado in the late '60's. It was an awesome snow vehicle! My '86 IROC was the last RWD vehicle I've owned. I would only consider another non AWD/FWD if I moved south.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h