Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500/LS500h

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
And I honestly believe Toyota and Lexus just don't know how to make decent engines anymore. Well, engines from a performance perspective.
Ever stop, though, and consider, for a minute, that maybe that's WHY Toyota engines often last 200K, and even 300K miles in some cases? All else equal, the less power they make, the less stress on them. Now, power alone does not necessarily take away from engine life, as we have seen with some large American V8s in the past (and the torque produced by some diesels in their beefed-up engine-blocks). But, all else equal, more power often means more stress.
Old 12-14-17, 08:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Mike is right in regards to reliability IMHO...

And again, very few people buying a big luxury sedan that isn’t a performance variant care about 0-60 Times. I’m considering a 360hp S450, if it’s just as smooth as the V8 no way I would spring for it. Same with the 740 vs 750.
Old 12-15-17, 12:08 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

+1 few care about 0-60 times. I think having the available power when needed (40-100) matters more in this class. Also, if my RX350 is any indication, Lexus prefers smoothness over power, so u probably need to work towards great times (brake torqueing, manual shifting, etc).

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mike is right in regards to reliability IMHO...

And again, very few people buying a big luxury sedan that isn’t a performance variant care about 0-60 Times. I’m considering a 360hp S450, if it’s just as smooth as the V8 no way I would spring for it. Same with the 740 vs 750.
Old 12-15-17, 05:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ever stop, though, and consider, for a minute, that maybe that's WHY Toyota engines often last 200K, and even 300K miles in some cases? All else equal, the less power they make, the less stress on them. Now, power alone does not necessarily take away from engine life, as we have seen with some large American V8s in the past (and the torque produced by some diesels in their beefed-up engine-blocks). But, all else equal, more power often means more stress.
Unless a person leased, it's not realistic to disregard longevity and reliability, it just isn't (talk to people who get 4 y.o. CPOs that are always back at the dealership and they're paying some deductible like $50)....I saw a 198x Honda Civic driving on my commute home the other day, and I thought, dang, I remember a friend's oldest sister had one of those brand new, and I rode in it, and it's still driving?

Every car forum has a highest mileage thread, and I'll say it again, we all laughed when someone said 479k on the Nissan forum. I'm sure Toyota products can do the same. Volvo used to make a big deal about 200k. I had a badge on my trunk to prove it.

A V8 is not balanced like a I6 or V12, but it is more balanced than a V6, which is imho not ideal. Those 4 cyl. motors who put out numbers on paper, don't actually drive so well, from a purist sense. V8 na vs. V6 turbo, V8. V8 turbo vs. V6 turbo, V8. I6 turbo vs. V6 turbo, I6. There isn't a case at all for V6's except that they can be deployed across many platforms, incl. FWD. They shake and they shake and they shake, and need counter balance shafts much like I4's.
Old 12-15-17, 06:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Uk 500h review

Old 12-15-17, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Unless a person leased, it's not realistic to disregard longevity and reliability, it just isn't (talk to people who get 4 y.o. CPOs that are always back at the dealership and they're paying some deductible like $50)....I saw a 198x Honda Civic driving on my commute home the other day, and I thought, dang, I remember a friend's oldest sister had one of those brand new, and I rode in it, and it's still driving?

Every car forum has a highest mileage thread, and I'll say it again, we all laughed when someone said 479k on the Nissan forum. I'm sure Toyota products can do the same. Volvo used to make a big deal about 200k. I had a badge on my trunk to prove it.

A V8 is not balanced like a I6 or V12, but it is more balanced than a V6, which is imho not ideal. Those 4 cyl. motors who put out numbers on paper, don't actually drive so well, from a purist sense. V8 na vs. V6 turbo, V8. V8 turbo vs. V6 turbo, V8. I6 turbo vs. V6 turbo, I6. There isn't a case at all for V6's except that they can be deployed across many platforms, incl. FWD. They shake and they shake and they shake, and need counter balance shafts much like I4's.
Toyota has a million mile Tundra. It was an 07 model I think, 4.7 engine. I remember a few years ago reading about a guy who towed boats to Florida. He has a Dodge that cleared a million miles, I think it was from the 90s

I dispute the claim that more power causes more wear and reduced lifespans. A car company either engineers is it to a certain lifespan or it does not.
Old 12-15-17, 06:57 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

What's with the 0-60 fetish? It's not like you're going to drag race an LS500 vs an S500 or 750. A difference of 0.5 seconds is irrelevant because you won't be able to tell the difference in daily driving.

I'd prefer realistic midrange acceleration figures instead of utterly pointless 0-60 and 0-100 numbers. These cars are luxury transport, not rocket sleds.

As for poor reviews of the LS hybrid in Euro magazines, it's to be expected - they've always favored diesels and hybrids have always been trashed simply because they're different. Yes, the hybrid can't conjure up the wall of instant torque that big diesels have. You just have to drive a hybrid differently, especially one with a planetary gear drivetrain, and in return you get much higher urban mileage. Diesels are also on the way out with stringent emissions regulations favoring electrification.

That's why I've stopped reading car mags...

Last edited by chromedome; 12-15-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 07:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota has a million mile Tundra. It was an 07 model I think, 4.7 engine. I remember a few years ago reading about a guy who towed boats to Florida. He has a Dodge that cleared a million miles, I think it was from the 90s

I dispute the claim that more power causes more wear and reduced lifespans. A car company either engineers is it to a certain lifespan or it does not.
A case that would support what you believe, are the powerplants in trucks and buses. They are for work, not pleasure, and require uptime....of course I don't know from experience but CAT and Detroit Diesel come to mind as being common choices, I believe even for boats...and of course they are inline 6's!
Old 12-15-17, 07:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
What's with the 0-60 fetish? It's not like you're going to drag race an LS500 vs an S500 or 750. A difference of 0.5 seconds is irrelevant because you won't be able to tell the difference in daily driving.

I'd prefer realistic midrange acceleration figures instead of utterly pointless 0-60 and 0-100 numbers. These cars are luxury transport, not rocket sleds.
I don't think anyone is fetishizing 0-60 times - I certainly wasn't. I'd just prefer to be able to realistically, even with some effort, achieve a 0-60 time claimed by the manufacturer. Typically I, a fairly novice driver, wouldn't be able to get the times that mags like MT and C&D get, but even then, it'd be nice if even the critics were capable of meeting those manufacturer claims. They should just build in some kind of buffer to account for variances.
Old 12-15-17, 07:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In my 20+ years of driving I've never once attempted to "get a 0-60 time that matched what a manufacturer claimed", and I would argue again that anybody who would want to attempt to do that would not be buying this sort of car.
Old 12-15-17, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

In my 20+ years of driving I've never once attempted to "get a 0-60 time that matched what a manufacturer claimed", and I would argue again that anybody who would want to attempt to do that would not be buying this sort of car.

Yeah.....your clients probably wouldn't be very impressed with that kind of lead-footing, either.
Old 12-15-17, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah.....your clients probably wouldn't be very impressed with that kind of lead-footing, either.
Honestly, I very rarely if ever drive clients anywhere anymore...but no they probably wouldn't lol
Old 12-15-17, 08:03 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Good on ya Steve, I've been driving for 20+ years and I'm stuck in an ES

Anyway, it seems that most car mags and reviewers completely miss the point of cars like the LS. They expect everything to drive like a 911. I have to say that Lexus should have switched to a touchscreen system instead of insisting on their awful touchpad interface.

Autoblog has an interesting article on why the LC500 is so good as it is. It's a big, quiet, comfy and powerful cruiser in a market where everyone else is harping about more power and insane 'Ring times. They compared it to an Aston V12, another big and comfy cruiser that's more for enjoying the road than being a GT3-style track weapon.
Old 12-15-17, 08:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Good on ya Steve, I've been driving for 20+ years and I'm stuck in an ES

Anyway, it seems that most car mags and reviewers completely miss the point of cars like the LS. They expect everything to drive like a 911. I have to say that Lexus should have switched to a touchscreen system instead of insisting on their awful touchpad interface.

Autoblog has an interesting article on why the LC500 is so good as it is. It's a big, quiet, comfy and powerful cruiser in a market where everyone else is harping about more power and insane 'Ring times. They compared it to an Aston V12, another big and comfy cruiser that's more for enjoying the road than being a GT3-style track weapon.
Autoblog is trash compared to what it once was. Can't stand anything on their site. 0-60 times do matter to a certain point. This new LS is either too heavy or not as well designed as per drivetrain loss compared to previous versions. At 416hp and 442lb feet of torque, you would expect it to have sub 5 second times for these magazines which all appeal to enthusiasts. Ditto for the remote touch system that has been panned by almost every review I have read. I have come to the conclusion that perhaps Lexus has designed it this bad as to at least garner the conversation.

But strange as it is, not everything that is loved by the auto press is loved by the general public. Seems to me the LC which is adored by everyone is not found g as well as initially thought This car could still do well but we won't know until it is released.
Old 12-15-17, 09:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Sure, even I don't just go around 0 to 60 testing my IS - that doesn't sound like it'd be good for the car anyway. I'm just saying, does it not border on false advertising when they say it can do a 4.7-second 0 to 60, but testing can't reproduce such a time? There's no need to deflect that by saying "no one will ever actually do it".

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500/LS500h