Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hell Cat Fatalities

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 01:05 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Hell Cat Fatalities

Sad Story

You all know my view of Cry Slur

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/12/...ound-ab-tile-2
Old 09-12-17, 01:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

What's this have to do with Chrysler? Sounds like operator error. Darwin wins.
Old 09-12-17, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

"I've never seen anything like it," Spezze told the newspaper. "They had permission to be there. There were no laws broken."

The men had permission to use the 8,300-foot runway at Central Colorado Regional Airport in Buena Vista. That's more than a mile and a half long.

"They were just test-driving this car. They went a little too fast. I don't want to surmise. ... They probably got to the end of the runway and, at that speed, didn't realize they were there so fast. And they lost control. It was just too high a speed and they got to the end of the runway," said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze.
Like I've said on more than one occasion......what is legal is not always what is prudent.

the crash victims were Lynd Fitzgerald, 71, of Colorado Springs, and his passenger, Roger Lichtenberger, 76, of San Marcos, Calif.
Hmmm.....sounds to me like a couple of aging Baby-Boomers who grew up with (or, in this case, reached young adulthood with) the American 1960s-vintage muscle cars, and were probably just trying to re-live their youth.

I'm a Boomer myself (though not old as these two)......but, even back then, I tended to drive with common sense.

It's possible (though very unlikely) that the car's throttle got stuck, or some other malfunction like brake-failure happened, which caused that excessive speed at the end of the runway. And, of course, Challengers, particularly with the big Hemis up front which add a lot of weight, generally don't handle as well as Mustangs or Camaros if one DOES get into a jam like that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 05:50 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

In my mind, they offered a car that lacks balance regarding horse power, braking power and ergonomics, that can be had for a low $ per pony price, and this tragic result becomes expectable
Old 09-12-17, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
In my mind, they offered a car that lacks balance regarding horse power, braking power and ergonomics, that can be had for a low $ per pony price, and this tragic result becomes expectable

Agreed. That's why I remarked on the superior handling-characteristics of the newer Mustang and Camaro platforms compared to the more dated Challenger. The Camaro SS's latest platform, is, of course, shared with the Cadillac ATS-V...one of the sharpest in the industry from a handling standpoint.
Old 09-12-17, 08:02 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
or......more likely....the driver misjudged the braking distance and ran outta runway. Not really sure how you're blaming the car for this...
Old 09-12-17, 09:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Yet another tragic mistake stemming from one of these ridiculous cars. I read and see this over and over in my daily life, living on a major street and working with the police department. Most people will never be able to handle all that power and performance. As I've been recently saying, manufacturers need to be held responsible for producing these death bombs, just like a bartender is responsible for his/her drinkers.
Old 09-13-17, 03:57 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

We're getting to another horsepower war with large consumer sedans and SUVs offering ridiculous power. The Ludicrous mode setting on Teslas is welcome, so people don't accidentally deploy full torque on city streets. A 500+ hp Cayenne usually isn't driven by a well-trained racing driver, it's a vehicle for the school run.
Old 09-13-17, 04:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
manufacturers need to be held responsible for producing these death bombs, just like a bartender is responsible for his/her drinkers.
These two things have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
Old 09-13-17, 05:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

As I've been recently saying, manufacturers need to be held responsible for producing these death bombs, just like a bartender is responsible for his/her drinkers.
A bartender only serves drinks, and collects the tab for them. How is he or she responsible if drunks make the decision to try and drive home? In many cases, the bartender has no idea how the person even got to the bar in the first place......it could have been by cab, bus, subway, or even on foot. That's like the old worn-out argument that gun manufacturers are responsible for gun-crimes.

The (probable) cause of this accident was two over-aged guys, without the reflexes and co-ordination of a 20-year-old, trying to re-live their Muscle-Car youth. They simply got in over their heads....and, at their age, it often doesn't take very deep water to do that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-17 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 05:41 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

At a glance it's like Thelma and Louise ending...
add in some brake check for insurance purposes? One would like to know their state of mind and existing medical conditions and perhaps the time of day/night. Could they see? Not much detail released.
Regardless - rest in peace...
Old 09-13-17, 05:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yet another tragic mistake stemming from one of these ridiculous cars. I read and see this over and over in my daily life, living on a major street and working with the police department. Most people will never be able to handle all that power and performance. As I've been recently saying, manufacturers need to be held responsible for producing these death bombs, just like a bartender is responsible for his/her drinkers.
I don't agree with either one. Whatever happened to personal responsibility in this world? Somehow I can drive a car, any car and not kill myself. I can go out to a bar and not get blackout drunk and get into a car and kill somebody. If I did either of those things it would be my fault, and my fault alone. I'm a grown man, nobody is responsible for my behavior but me.

This accident has nothing to do with Chrysler. The car was being driven on an airport runway at high speed, and the drivers ran off the end of the runway by accident, could have happened with any car. If you don't want this to happen to you, don't drive down an airport runway at 100+ MPH (likely faster than that). Dynamics or handling had nothing to do with it, they were going straight and misjudged the distance between them and the end of the runway because of lack of experience doing such things that that speed.

For some people nothing that ever happens to them is their fault. It's really pathetic.

Somebody mentioned ludicrous mode. You might be surprised to know the Hellcats come with two keys. The red key unlocks all the power, the regular key holds it back for street driving. Same thing.

To say Chrysler has any fault in this is silly. Own your own self

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-17 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-13-17, 05:54 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I remember the first time I took my race prepped Lightning to the track and was surprised how the handling/stopping characteristics were from 130mph. Not saying this was the case here but it could have caught the driver off guard.
Old 09-13-17, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
Most people will never be able to handle all that power and performance.
That's exactly what Detroit and most auto magazines said about 300 hp. It was 1955.
..............and they were correct. Look at what the accident and death rate were, back then, with high-powered cars.....without the safety equipment on today's vehicles.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that manufacturers are at fault if people behind the wheel choose to drive irresponsibly or like idiots.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The death rate back then had nothing to do with power, it is everything to do with lack of safety features.

Quick Reply: Hell Cat Fatalities