Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AutoGuide First Drive....2018 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 11:01 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buick Regal GS vs Kia Stinger GT? The Stinger GT obviously has a turbo V6 with more power, RWD based platform. While the Regal is estimated at $40K. Stinger GT estimates to hit near $50K fully loaded, starts closer to $30K with its 2.0T base engine.

Is it harder for Buick to overcome the AARP stigma? or for Kia to overcome the econobox/hamster car stigma?
Old 09-05-17, 11:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Buick Regal GS vs Kia Stinger GT? The Stinger GT obviously has a turbo V6 with more power, RWD based platform. While the Regal is estimated at $40K. Stinger GT estimates to hit near $50K fully loaded, starts closer to $30K with its 2.0T base engine.

Is it harder for Buick to overcome the AARP stigma? or for Kia to overcome the econobox/hamster car stigma?
That's a good question. Kia has proven they can move upmarket with Optima, Cadenza. Sorrento etc. but I'm not sure that Buick has shown they can appeal to the younger buyer yet.
Old 09-05-17, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the station wagon version is going to do very well for Buick.
We'll have to wait and see on that one. Conventional station wagons are a relatively hard sell in the U.S. The SUV craze has all but eliminated them.
Old 09-05-17, 12:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For a number of years now, both of those so-called "stigmas" were more image/stereotype than fact.
Old 09-05-17, 12:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We'll have to wait and see on that one. Conventional station wagons are a relatively hard sell in the U.S. The SUV craze has all but eliminated them.
But that's just it... the Regal Tour X not a "conventional" wagon. It's a crossover-ified wagon. Of which those are gaining some traction with the Outback obviously the most successful, and now Volvo V90 Cross Country, Audi allroad, VW Golf Alltrack, etc.
Old 09-05-17, 12:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the CUV's are looking more and more like a bit higher ground clearance station wagons to me.
Old 09-05-17, 12:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

For a number of years now, both of those so-called "stigmas" were more image/stereotype than fact.
Facts are that Buick age demographics are still one of the oldest in the industry. Perceptions often have much more impact to the value of the brand than actual facts and reliability, because consumers are often misinformed.
Old 09-05-17, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But that's just it... the Regal Tour X not a "conventional" wagon. It's a crossover-ified wagon. Of which those are gaining some traction with the Outback obviously the most successful, and now Volvo V90 Cross Country, Audi allroad, VW Golf Alltrack, etc.
My point is that the Tour-X, AWD or not, will be getting a lot of competition from it's own sister SUVs in the Buick showroom. Buick's SUVs, especially the hot-selling Encore, are basically carrying its flag here in the U.S. market. I told the guy that sold me both my Lacrosse and Verano that I'd bet the rent money he sells ten new Encores for every Buick sedan. He smiled and said I was pretty close.
Old 09-05-17, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Facts are that Buick age demographics are still one of the oldest in the industry. Perceptions often have much more impact to the value of the brand than actual facts and reliability, because consumers are often misinformed.
It is true that Buick, Lincoln, Cadillac, and, to an extent, Mercedes are still dominated by older-than-average buyers. But all except Lincoln seem to have made progress in lowering their average buying age.
Old 09-05-17, 12:48 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

It is true that Buick, Lincoln, Cadillac, and, to an extent, Mercedes are still dominated by older-than-average buyers. But all except Lincoln seem to have made progress in lowering their average buying age.
Mercedes isn't nearly as high as you might think, especially given the vastly higher price point of a lot of their vehicles. Lincoln and Buick are generally the two oldest average ages. But that's getting off topic.
Old 09-05-17, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes isn't nearly as high as you might think, especially given the vastly higher price point of a lot of their vehicles. Lincoln and Buick are generally the two oldest average ages. But that's getting off topic.
Not necessarily that far off-topic. The Regal GS (from the original post) is likely to appeal to a significantly younger buyer-age-group than, say, a Lacrosse or Enclave.
Old 09-06-17, 07:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Not necessarily that far off-topic. The Regal GS (from the original post) is likely to appeal to a significantly younger buyer-age-group than, say, a Lacrosse or Enclave.
It's gonna be a niche product and cater to the 60 and above market. I can't fathom how a younger demographic would choose this car when sedans are a dying breed. If you happen to want a sedan then you have to choose this thing over the Camcord and its dominant perceived reliability superiority. If you want sport or Luxury, you'll go German or Lexus. It's in a can't win situation.
Old 09-06-17, 07:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks nice but hate it in that RED
Old 09-06-17, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's gonna be a niche product and cater to the 60 and above market. I can't fathom how a younger demographic would choose this car when sedans are a dying breed. If you happen to want a sedan then you have to choose this thing over the Camcord and its dominant perceived reliability superiority. If you want sport or Luxury, you'll go German or Lexus. It's in a can't win situation.
I agree. I can't imagine the Regal GS doing all the well. The wagon version should do extremely well and it should have superior resale value a few years down the road compared to the sedans.
Old 09-06-17, 07:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yes, it will be somewhat of a niche product. But I disagree that it will appeal only to the AARP crowd. Most of them don't care about sport-sedans....comfort is paramount. And, as far as "buying German", don't forget that, apart from the drivetrain, everything else about the Regal IS German. It is, in fact, a rebadged Opel Insignia....a well-respected product in Germany. As far as the argument about sedans being a dying breed, that is true of all sedans, not just German-derived sport-sedans. The only reason that sedans like the Camry and Accord continue to sell is that they they were so enormously popular to start with that it will take them time to really get the numbers down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-17 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: AutoGuide First Drive....2018 Buick Regal GS