Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 09:20 AM
IB Jose
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion

Facebook Post
Old 02-27-17, 11:18 AM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default on the fence with the '18 ls

so lemme start with my negs on the '18 ls - way too much grill and that c-pillar rear window is just plain oogly!
i've had 3 ls460s. i suspect many who comment here, have never owned one. typically, those of us who can don't have time for this blogger love fest. we need to make $$, so we can continue to enjoy the lifestyle. that said, i had the new body ls and bought the cts-v.coupe. yes, i'm over 60 BUT the ls can't hold a candle to any magnetic-shock caddy! when it comes to handling, it's night and day. still caddy sucks on every level with service and quality - so yes, it's a conundrum!!

i've driven every f lexus makes and much like c&d reviews, they lack sumpin'. the cts-v may suck with Q but u feel alive behind that wheel. i'd like to see lex embracing more of a driver'stheme with the f trim instead of focusing on the merits of the spindle grill. it doesn't even need to do 12 sec qtrs, k but when the gx handles better that the ls, sumpin's very wrong! and yes, the truck beats the car and i've owned both.

lose the faux / mp3 engine audio and focus on serious dial-up handling. hell, u're doin it in nascar with the camry - fix this already.

Last edited by ls4guy; 02-27-17 at 11:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-28-17, 04:29 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I like the ls500, to each to their own- too much grill yea; but I hated the gsf now I might get one, they don't look as bad in person. Lexus was at best at the pre 07 era the way their cars felt (solid) does not feel the same today. the c pillar window is weird I agree. not sure if the gs handles better than ls..I had the LX and LS does handle better, its not bmw nor that I want them to be
Originally Posted by ls4guy
so lemme start with my negs on the '18 ls - way too much grill and that c-pillar rear window is just plain oogly!
i've had 3 ls460s. i suspect many who comment here, have never owned one. typically, those of us who can don't have time for this blogger love fest. we need to make $$, so we can continue to enjoy the lifestyle. that said, i had the new body ls and bought the cts-v.coupe. yes, i'm over 60 BUT the ls can't hold a candle to any magnetic-shock caddy! when it comes to handling, it's night and day. still caddy sucks on every level with service and quality - so yes, it's a conundrum!!

i've driven every f lexus makes and much like c&d reviews, they lack sumpin'. the cts-v may suck with Q but u feel alive behind that wheel. i'd like to see lex embracing more of a driver'stheme with the f trim instead of focusing on the merits of the spindle grill. it doesn't even need to do 12 sec qtrs, k but when the gx handles better that the ls, sumpin's very wrong! and yes, the truck beats the car and i've owned both.

lose the faux / mp3 engine audio and focus on serious dial-up handling. hell, u're doin it in nascar with the camry - fix this already.
Old 02-28-17, 06:17 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah that's the first time seeing that rear pillar window with the rear door open. It does look weird like that.

Here's the thing, why didn't Lexus just build a sportsback/hatchback? It's almost like they couldn't decide which direction to go and tried to split the difference.

While I personally really like the shape of the car, I would have absolutely no problem if they said screw it, I'm building a 206 inch Panamera sportback/hatchback with LS flagship qualities: whisper quiet, buttery smooth and powerful.
Old 02-28-17, 09:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I mentioned in the original LS thread how bad the multiple c-pillars looked. It's even worse here. That would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-01-17, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

i've had 3 ls460s. i suspect many who comment here, have never owned one. typically, those of us who can don't have time for this blogger love fest. we need to make $$, so we can continue to enjoy the lifestyle.
You would suspect incorrectly. Plenty of LS460 owners on CL, plenty of us who bought our LS460s new too. Check out MBWorld, tons of S550 owners posting there and their cars are way more expensive than the LS460.

"Enjoy the lifestyle" well part of my lifestyle I enjoy involves discussing cars on this forum and others. So...there ya go.

that said, i had the new body ls and bought the cts-v.coupe. yes, i'm over 60 BUT the ls can't hold a candle to any magnetic-shock caddy! when it comes to handling, it's night and day. still caddy sucks on every level with service and quality - so yes, it's a conundrum!!
Why would you expect or want the LS to handle anything like a CTS-V Coupe? Your CTS-V Coupe's ride "can't hold a candle" to the LS...and since I bought the LS for its great ride I'll take that thanks. If you bought the LS and wanted a great handling car, you bought the wrong car LOL.

but when the gx handles better that the ls, sumpin's very wrong! and yes, the truck beats the car and i've owned both.
Thats absurd lol. The GX does not handle better than the LS.

Or you could just buy a car that focuses on handling. Plenty of us would like the LS to remain a ride focused car, thanks.
Old 03-03-17, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

when the gx handles better that the ls, sumpin's very wrong!
No, nothing's wrong. The LS is not intended to be a canyon-carver. If you want to do that, Mazda will gladly sell you a new Miata.

And, all else equal, the GX is not necessarily a better handler. It has a truck-based frame and a much higher center of gravity than the LS....which will make it more unstable at the limit, minus VSC action.

've had 3 ls460s. i suspect many who comment here, have never owned one.
It's true that a number of posters here probably don't, but that does not make us as a group (or any single one of us) necessarily unqualified to talk about an LS. I've been test-driving and evaluating cars since I was in high-school...almost 5 decades ago. Always was one of my passions on the side....even though I chose a different path for my actual career.

typically, those of us who can don't have time for this blogger love fest. we need to make $$, so we can continue to enjoy the lifestyle.
Well, sir, this is not an idle "love-blogger-fest". This is a well-respected forum.....and many chose to be a member of Car Chat and contribute to it who do not own Lexus models. We get input from a cross section of everybody.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-04-17, 03:20 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

One good thing about the forthcoming 5LS.
I reckon TMC is quite smart.
Everyone has their good & bad days.
I think Lexus will learn from the 5LS' styling.
I wouldn't be surprised if the forthcoming 2019 7ES/5GS is/are quite stylish on the exterior...
Old 03-05-17, 11:24 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You would suspect incorrectly. Plenty of LS460 owners on CL, plenty of us who bought our LS460s new too. Check out MBWorld, tons of S550 owners posting there and their cars are way more expensive than the LS460.

"Enjoy the lifestyle" well part of my lifestyle I enjoy involves discussing cars on this forum and others. So...there ya go.

Why would you expect or want the LS to handle anything like a CTS-V Coupe? Your CTS-V Coupe's ride "can't hold a candle" to the LS...and since I bought the LS for its great ride I'll take that thanks. If you bought the LS and wanted a great handling car, you bought the wrong car LOL.

Thats absurd lol. The GX does not handle better than the LS.

Or you could just buy a car that focuses on handling. Plenty of us would like the LS to remain a ride focused car, thanks.
I believe he was referring to the "F" cars which he compared to the Caddy not the LS.
Let's not be so quick to put down other people's opinions especially those that have experience with other makes. He posted the negatives about the Caddy too.
Old 03-05-17, 12:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not putting down anybody's opinions, it's a question of context. He was referring specifically to the LS460, and as I and many other LS buyers have said we don't want it to be an overly sporty car. Comparing it to a CTS-V is silly. "The LS can't hold a candle to the handling of any magnetic shock Caddy" is what he said, so the comparison was to the LS.
Old 03-05-17, 01:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not putting down anybody's opinions, it's a question of context. He was referring specifically to the LS460, and as I and many other LS buyers have said we don't want it to be an overly sporty car. Comparing it to a CTS-V is silly. "The LS can't hold a candle to the handling of any magnetic shock Caddy" is what he said, so the comparison was to the LS.
Reread his post - he says he drove Lexus F cars not Fsport trim. I agree it is silly to compare LS to performance minded car as that is not what its for.

Most ppl that have luxury executive cars like LS also have sports cars for fun.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-05-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Reread his post - he says he drove Lexus F cars not Fsport trim.

Most ppl that have luxury executive cars like LS also have sports cars for fun.
I did reread his post and removed that section of my post.

My point about the LS stands, his comparison was specifically to the LS.

As to people having sports cars, exactly why the LS should remain a comfort oriented car. Whether or not the LS500 is that remains to be seen.
Old 08-29-17, 08:44 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus LS500 Walkaround

Great vid, dat interior:

Old 08-30-17, 08:01 AM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw the LS500H up close and this car is going to turn some heads while on the road. Love the Changes Lexus made to the LS500.

Old 08-30-17, 08:01 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is that fire agate pearl? Awesome looking color. I also love how the side window trim is flush

Quick Reply: Lexus LS500 reviews and discussion