Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's Next for Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 05:47 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What's Next for Acura?

With a new Accord over at Honda, where will Acura go with the TLX? In fact, it is time for them to do something with the poor ILX, since the Civic is now larger and drives better. My guess is that the ILX will continue pretty much as a rebadged Civic, perhaps with an option for the 2 liter turbo four and 10 speed auto. The TLX is a different package from the Accord in many ways, but is still based on the Accord platform. The new Accord has a longer wheelbase and 2+ inches more rear legroom making it near the same interior size as the ES. It seems to me this is an opportunity to move the TLX upmarket. With the SH-AWD system, the car can be tuned to be much like the Audi. Will they keep the fastback roofline of the Accord or do a new greenhouse for more rear seat headroom? What happens to the V-6 now that it is no longer available in the Accord?

If I were in charge, the TLX would get the new greenhouse, a much more lux interior, the come standard with the 2 liter turbo engine and 10 speed auto. SH-AWD would be optional. I would also do a revival of the Type S but with a 3 liter turbo V-6 and SH-AWD standard. The turbo V-6 could also power the RLX and MDX.

I was bored this afternoon and doing some "what-if" thinking.
Steve
Old 08-27-17, 06:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

They should close up shop imo.
Each of the Hondas - Civic, Accord, CRV, Pilot is better in many respects than the Acura equivalent.

The new RLX is a disaster.

If I was running Acura - I would make SHAWD standard for each model.
Then I would fire every single designer and hire a new team.
Then I would completely redesign the Multimedia interface which is beyond dated.
Last - I would drop the price on the NSX by $50k by introducing a model without the hybrid BS.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-27-17 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I was bored this afternoon and doing some "what-if" thinking.
Steve

If all you were doing is looking at (today's) Acura products, I can understand you being bored LOL.

it is time for them to do something with the poor ILX, since the Civic is now larger and drives better. My guess is that the ILX will continue pretty much as a rebadged Civic, perhaps with an option for the 2 liter turbo four and 10 speed auto.
The ILX, though may actually have a little more appeal now, since its main competitor, the Buick Verano, has been relegated to the Chinese market, and the Audi A3 sedan starts at 4-5K more. One of my neighbors just got a new ILX...a white one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-17 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 09:11 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

there was a time acura could have been like audi- making SHAWD standard on all vehicles. too bad that time has long passed since their brand prestige isn't half of what it was back in 2007 by introducing the hideous 4th gen TL, leaving the RL to rot, and an ILX that's worse than the civic. now its lucky to be even mentioned in the same breath as lincoln and buick. And i'm a huge honda fan.
Old 08-27-17, 09:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Acura's not done by any means. The tlx is sportier than an accord and still sells pretty well. the mdx sells well and has positioned itself well. The aged rdx has had more tweaks than cher keeping it pretty current, still refined, and selling well. The ilx and rlx are disasters and need to be overhauled to be genuinely competitive.

Also, the 2 screen infotainment system has to go.

but there's no way they're closing up shop like rnm suggests
Old 08-27-17, 10:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So Acura started as an USA sales channel for all the fancy upscale Hondas that were already on sale in Japan back in the 1980's. I'm not a huge Honda fanboy, so I don't know all the current upscale Hondas that they sell in Japan(and other markets) that we don't get in the US. Keep in mind Acura does not exist in Japan. But I'd say looking at current and future product plans for the elite Hondas in Japan would be a good way to gauge what we are getting the US. They might not look exactly the same, but I'm betting under the skin those fancy Japan Hondas will be the same mechanically as US Acuras.
Old 08-27-17, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

As I mentioned years ago, the TLX never should have happened. It shrunk the brand's core offerings and has contributed to decreased sales overall. The OP suggests making it bigger, but that spells out a product exactly where the TL left off- driving home my point.
The ILX is a name only and not an offering. Either ax it or build a legit A3 competitor. Not changing it when the Civic changed was another corporate mistake that will cost more sales.
Acura would have a surviving chance by aligning all their cars with Lexus, Audi, and BMW. Just copy those who have success since they haven't been able to figure things out for so long.
Old 08-27-17, 11:42 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I didn't mean to suggest making the TLX any larger, I only noted the the Accord platform has the wheelbase stretched 2+" which translates into more rear seat leg room. The TLX uses the Accord platform, so it would likely get the longer wheelbase and more interior room. The new Accord is actually a bit shorter than the present car even with the longer wheelbase. I guess I see the next TLX as a sportier alternative to the ES350. I see the new Accord as a significant step forward for Honda, and the 2018 Accord will be more advanced than the 2018 TLX. My original post was wondering how Acura goes about taking advantage of the latest Honda advances. The new Accord offers 3 powerplants, 2 with turbos and a hybrid. The lackluster 9 speed auto is replaced with an in-house Honda 10 speed. Add turbo powerplants and the new transmission to Acura and what happens?
Steve
Old 08-28-17, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I didn't mean to suggest making the TLX any larger, I only noted the the Accord platform has the wheelbase stretched 2+" which translates into more rear seat leg room. The TLX uses the Accord platform, so it would likely get the longer wheelbase and more interior room. The new Accord is actually a bit shorter than the present car even with the longer wheelbase. I guess I see the next TLX as a sportier alternative to the ES350. I see the new Accord as a significant step forward for Honda, and the 2018 Accord will be more advanced than the 2018 TLX. My original post was wondering how Acura goes about taking advantage of the latest Honda advances. The new Accord offers 3 powerplants, 2 with turbos and a hybrid. The lackluster 9 speed auto is replaced with an in-house Honda 10 speed. Add turbo powerplants and the new transmission to Acura and what happens?
Steve
You are actually giving good advice by suggesting the TLX grow in size. It needs to go back to where the TL was, and even a little bigger. Then a new TSX needs to come back in to be the entry model, larger than the ILX.
Old 08-28-17, 02:10 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
But I'd say looking at current and future product plans for the elite Hondas in Japan would be a good way to gauge what we are getting the US. They might not look exactly the same, but I'm betting under the skin those fancy Japan Hondas will be the same mechanically as US Acuras.
Not much over here in Japan for Honda as far as elite vehicles.
nsx aside, Honda Japan's fanciest vehicle is the Acura rlx, called the Legend here. They get the usdm civic and accord ( inspire).
Old 08-28-17, 02:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ That's funny, Toyota has had a long history of building expensive cars for the Japanese market. Crown, Crown Majestia, Century, Soarer(SC300/400), Celsior(LS400), Alphard minivan, all the upper spec/trim level Land Cruisers. Toyota also sells Lexus in Japan(started in 2005), something Honda hasn't done with Acura. I figured Honda would try to compete in some of those specialized Japanese market segments, the profit margin on expensive cars is A LOT higher.
Old 08-28-17, 03:31 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The A Spec TLX looks pretty good. It could use more power but it's definitely not a bad looking car. If they can add a TT V6 putting out 350 HP minium then they may be able to do something.

Old 08-28-17, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
You are actually giving good advice by suggesting the TLX grow in size. It needs to go back to where the TL was, and even a little bigger. Then a new TSX needs to come back in to be the entry model, larger than the ILX.
The sedan market, though, in the U.S., is currently so weak that it will be tough to convince automakers to invest in new ones...though we see Cadillac doing at least some work in that area. But the trend with most automakers is fewer sedans and more SUVs.
Old 08-28-17, 10:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The sedan market, though, in the U.S., is currently so weak that it will be tough to convince automakers to invest in new ones...though we see Cadillac doing at least some work in that area. But the trend with most automakers is fewer sedans and more SUVs.

Not sure I follow that logic. If I read correctly, you are saying Acura should forget about their sedans because SUV's are hot right now? Do we see any other manufacturer doing that? (Heck no.) Market trends go up and down, but no one is letting their sedans fall by the wayside. It is a huge and highly competive market.. Acuras big issues are not with their SUV's (which sell well). The problem is with their sedans. Acura has existing cars that need repositioning or updating immediately. It is essential they get that right and align their offerings with the more successful brands.
Old 08-29-17, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not sure I follow that logic. If I read correctly, you are saying Acura should forget about their sedans because SUV's are hot right now? Do we see any other manufacturer doing that? (Heck no.) Market trends go up and down, but no one is letting their sedans fall by the wayside. It is a huge and highly competive market.. Acuras big issues are not with their SUV's (which sell well). The problem is with their sedans. Acura has existing cars that need repositioning or updating immediately. It is essential they get that right and align their offerings with the more successful brands.
No, that's not quite what I'm saying. The point I was making is that SUVs are so strong right now that even a reworking of sedans might not increase their sales in the short run. We see that with other manufacturers, too, not just Acura.

Do we see any other manufacturer doing that? (Heck no.)
Actually, yes, we do. For 2018, Buick's Verano sedan is gone, period (relegated to the Chinese market), and so are all of the Regal sedans. The new (also Opel-derived) Regal coming this fall will be have 5-door hatchback and 5-door wagon versions in the American market. And Lacrosse sedan sales are way down this year. (though, of course, I ordered a new Lacrosse myself, and it arrived last night. It's raining today, so I won't actually pick it up until tomorrow...I'll do a separate thread on that when I get it home)

Quick Reply: What's Next for Acura?