Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi announces new two-digit naming system (update on page 3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 06:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

So an A3 with the smallest engine would be the A330? Airbus isn't going to be happy
Old 08-24-17, 06:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
So an A3 with the smallest engine would be the A330? Airbus isn't going to be happy
Lexus will have to come out with an LS787.
Old 08-24-17, 07:11 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Best thing I can say is at least they aren't throwing the baby out with the bath water, we still have A4, A6, A8, S4, S6, S8, RS4, RS6 RS8, Q3, Q5, Q7, its easy to identify which model you are talking about at least.

Could be much worse like at Infiniti, everything is now Q or QX with the number indicating the size of the vehicle, stupid, stupid, stupid idea IMO. Especially when you already have a lot of name recognition with things like G35, G37(sporty sedan/coupe), QX56(huge SUV), FX(sporty SUV). Or Cadillac, finally when people get used to CTS, ATS, SRX, you have to change **** up for no reason. Personally I miss the days of Deville, Seville and Eldorado, nothing wrong with making luxo-barges if they drove nice, looked contemporary, were well made, and reliable over the long haul(hello Lexus)
Why is the Infiniti naming scheme stupid? It is the same as the Audi naming scheme: Nx, where N is a letter(s) identifying the manufacturer (A, S, RS, Q for Audi, and Q, QX for Infiniti) and x is the number (single-digit for Audi, and double-digit for Infiniti) that corresponds to the size of the vehicle.

Johan de Nysschen copied the Audi naming scheme (making minor changes to avoid trademark infringement) for Infiniti and then did the same for Cadillac.

The problem at Infiniti and Cadillac is not the naming scheme but the wholesale change from one naming scheme to a completely different one confuses people for a while until they get used to the new scheme.
Old 08-24-17, 08:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's not perfect but rating on power and not displacement makes sense. With electrics, diesels, gas, hybrids, turbos, etc., reg engine size and cylinders are now meaningless.
Agree. It's one of the more thought out elements. I don't know if the TFSI part needs to stay either, I imagine that will go away at some point.
Old 08-24-17, 11:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Why is the Infiniti naming scheme stupid? It is the same as the Audi naming scheme: Nx, where N is a letter(s) identifying the manufacturer (A, S, RS, Q for Audi, and Q, QX for Infiniti) and x is the number (single-digit for Audi, and double-digit for Infiniti) that corresponds to the size of the vehicle.
Car lineup in size order:

Q60, Q50, Q70

CUV lineup in size order:

QX30, QX70, QX50, QX60

Did I miss the part where the Q5 was significantly larger than the Q7?
Old 08-24-17, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't know if the TFSI part needs to stay either, I imagine that will go away at some point.
yes the letter soup to sound more techy is kinda ridiculous... turbo f? sport? injection? i guess they learned from bmw who has always had some long letter silliness... i remember the 635csi...
Old 08-24-17, 01:35 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

yes the letter soup to sound more techy is kinda ridiculous... turbo f? sport? injection?
The Google machine says it stands for "Turbocharged fuel stratified injection". Basically Turbo + Direct Injection. But TDI was already taken in their lineup, so they decided to go with something way more complicated....
Old 08-24-17, 01:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What makes names confusing for the masses is when they name all their vehicles the same first letter. It's hard enough for the average (non-car) person to remember the first letter of a car name, let alone the second and third letter following. That's what makes Infiniti and Lincoln's so crazy. They all start with the same letter, forcing the potential buyer to do a long full line-up memorization. Audi seems to skirt around the problem by keeping the entire name short (two digits total) and changing the letter for their SUV's. But even with that, I do hear some people struggle with the brand's current scheme.
Old 08-24-17, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This new system makes total sense and I think I agree with it. If the engine displacement decreases, how do you get the message out that it has more power. How do you tell the current A8 4.0TFSI buyer that the new A8 with a 3.0 TFSI engine is more powerful and worth spending more for?
Old 08-24-17, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What makes names confusing for the masses is when they name all their vehicles the same first letter. It's hard enough for the average (non-car) person to remember the first letter of a car name, let alone the second and third letter following. That's what makes Infiniti and Lincoln's so crazy. They all start with the same letter, forcing the potential buyer to do a long full line-up memorization. Audi seems to skirt around the problem by keeping the entire name short (two digits total) and changing the letter for their SUV's. But even with that, I do hear some people struggle with the brand's current scheme.
i don't see any of this as crazy or confusing, but sure, many consumers will never get any of these schemes, no matter how well or poorly they're conceived and implemented.
infiniti chose to do it by category, Q prefix for sedans, QX for utes. mercedes has chosen to do it by category and size, pretty clever imo, so A, C, E, S for sizes, and GL prefix for ute... i'm sure it's not perfectly consistent, but now i get the new ute designations for example of very small: GLA, small: GLC (vs CLK), medium: GLE (vs old ML), and large: GLS (vs GL) - the number is tacked on for performance level. with the E300 having just a 4 cyl 2L engine, but it's wonderfully smooth and perfectly adequate.
Old 08-24-17, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i don't see any of this as crazy or confusing, but sure, many consumers will never get any of these schemes, no matter how well or poorly they're conceived and implemented.
infiniti chose to do it by category, Q prefix for sedans, QX for utes. mercedes has chosen to do it by category and size, pretty clever imo, so A, C, E, S for sizes, and GL prefix for ute... i'm sure it's not perfectly consistent, but now i get the new ute designations for example of very small: GLA, small: GLC (vs CLK), medium: GLE (vs old ML), and large: GLS (vs GL) - the number is tacked on for performance level. with the E300 having just a 4 cyl 2L engine, but it's wonderfully smooth and perfectly adequate.

How about simple names?

When the American auto industry was at their peak, except for some performance vehicles with number or letter/number designations, the vast majority of vehicles were known by their regular names. And virtually everybody knew exactly what they were buying.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-24-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-24-17, 07:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How about simple names?

When the American auto industry was at their peak, except for some performance vehicles with number or letter/number designations, the vast majority of vehicles were known by their regular names. And virtually everybody knew exactly what they were buying.
The theory is that real, identifiable names, such as Camry or Accord or Cavalier allow you to identify with a particular model but alphanumeric names allow you to identify with the brand. Manufacturers want you to identify with the luxury brand and not with any one particular model of the brand. Selling the brand and what the brand offers you is the objective. The German luxury brands have become particularly good at this.
Old 08-24-17, 11:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
THIS!!!!! I can't keep track of which model is which with Lincoln, except for the Continental and Navigator. And they've been selling MKX's, MKT's, MKZ's, MKS's, all those stupid Mary Kay Lincolns under that designation for like 8-10 years now. I feel like with Infiniti I need a cheat sheet with 3 columns, its current name, its old name, and its Nissan model equivalent. Calling all your cars a Q something or other is a horrid idea.
Old 08-24-17, 11:27 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The theory is that real, identifiable names, such as Camry or Accord or Cavalier allow you to identify with a particular model but alphanumeric names allow you to identify with the brand. Manufacturers want you to identify with the luxury brand and not with any one particular model of the brand. Selling the brand and what the brand offers you is the objective. The German luxury brands have become particularly good at this.
I think that's nonsense as well. If you have well established model names, people instantly recognize the brand. Back in the day, if somebody said Deville, Seville, or Eldorado, they instantly knew you drove a Cadillac. I think there was also significant name recognition with Continential and Lincoln, Electra 225 and Buick, 98 and Oldsmobile, if you wanted to talk about competing luxury marks back in the day.

That being said, it is a lot more practical now days for Benz and BMW to just make everything alpha-numeric with them having so many model variations. One interesting thing is that BMW has actually introduced words in some of their model names, with the "Gran Coupe" moniker for their sloped back, swoopy sedans.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-24-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 05:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

there's simply too many models, too much of a challenge with coming up with names as well as making sure they translate globally, and too much inconsistency in having names.

obviously many existing currently successful names will endure like accord and camry... but i don't think crv 'name' has hurt that model.

Quick Reply: Audi announces new two-digit naming system (update on page 3)