Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 bmw m5

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 10:35 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you mean e60?
Oh yes
Thanks for the correction.I initially did put E60, but put f10
Old 08-27-17, 02:15 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I'm definitely am impress...I think it looks better than the Cad and E class. The numbers are on par with the competition.
Old 08-29-17, 08:12 AM
LexJonez
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the new 2018 M5 this is a Beautiful Vehicle......nothing like being able to Race anyone with the Family Car.
Old 08-29-17, 11:48 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm just excited because the prices of the F10 M5 will probably drop a bit faster now that there is a newer generation. All the numbers they are estimating are understatements (more likely than not). As for the car itself, the interior is definitely a huge improvement.
Old 08-29-17, 06:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far San Marino blue and Aragon brown is the combo I like to get, wish they offer some red shades for the interior :/
Old 08-29-17, 10:36 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not only its not that much better than F10 M5, its also not much better than m550i. Never before have 550i and M5 have been so similar. I hear there are tuned m550s putting better numbers than the new M5.
The driving dynamics, if M did their job, should be night and day between the M550i and the M5. Much like the M240i and the M2 are very close in power and numbers, when you drive it and feel how the engine and suspension perform in harmony, then you know what you are paying for when it has a PROPER M badge. M5s can be tuned like a M550i, with a higher ceiling a better tolerances for speed and handling.

That being said, until I see one in person, the styling doesn't do anything for me right now. It doesn't look distinctive enough from the M550i in these photos. If I'm going to pay that much more for the M5, even if it performs better, I want it to not look like a M550i. That's my vanity talking, and I admit it.
Old 08-30-17, 01:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I think otherwise, the M5 is just enough to differentiate it from the regular M550. The M sport kit lacks the true M's mean looking appeal. Though I always wish they can flare the fenders just like M2/M3/M4, but non of previous M5 had it anyway. Can't wait to see it with carbon front and rear lip on it, and hopefully the M exhaust would cost 2k just like U.K. Pricing is!
Old 08-30-17, 01:25 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Only thing I'm waiting to see is how this gen leases in the next 6 months after March production because I need to get it by Sep 2018. The 18% increase on price might kill the deal, and if it costs more than a AMG E63s, it would be tough to choose between these two beasts.
Old 08-30-17, 05:04 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I think otherwise, the M5 is just enough to differentiate it from the regular M550. The M sport kit lacks the true M's mean looking appeal. Though I always wish they can flare the fenders just like M2/M3/M4, but non of previous M5 had it anyway. Can't wait to see it with carbon front and rear lip on it, and hopefully the M exhaust would cost 2k just like U.K. Pricing is!
2k (2500 USD)?! My M Performance Exhaust was $5k USD. 2k is a steal!
Old 08-30-17, 07:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
The driving dynamics, if M did their job, should be night and day between the M550i and the M5. Much like the M240i and the M2 are very close in power and numbers, when you drive it and feel how the engine and suspension perform in harmony, then you know what you are paying for when it has a PROPER M badge. M5s can be tuned like a M550i, with a higher ceiling a better tolerances for speed and handling.
I actually daily drive the m235i, and my best friend owns the M2, and I drove them head to head. Of course the M2 is a more capable car, but both cars are very aggressive and satisfying, and in daily driving they are not that different.

Its a bit different story with 5 series of course. I haven't driven the M550i yet, but I wonder how it's tuned compared to the old 550i. The old 550i was tuned for luxury far more than sport, and while it was fast it was no comparison for the M5 in driving dynamics. If the new M550i has better exhaust, sportier suspension and faster throttle response it will be 90% there. I know a lot of outgoing M5 owners are probably not happy about the fact that in straight line acceleration the new M550i is faster than their M5. I still say the new M5 should have been substantially more powerful than M550i, and I'd love to see it introduced with a new engine instead of that old 4.4 turd that BMW keeps polishing.
Old 08-30-17, 08:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Only thing I'm waiting to see is how this gen leases in the next 6 months after March production because I need to get it by Sep 2018. The 18% increase on price might kill the deal, and if it costs more than a AMG E63s, it would be tough to choose between these two beasts.
given the same msrp / selling price i think the m5 will have better lease numbers. i can't say if that will happen in the first 6 months though
Old 12-06-17, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 BMW M5 First Drive

LISBON, Portugal — From a brace of inline-sixes, to naturally aspirated V8s and V10s, and all the way to today's twin-turbocharged beasts, the BMW M5has always shared one defining characteristic: rear-wheel drive. That's no longer the case, and purists are raising their brows. After all, big power plus rear drive equals smoky tail-out antics of the first degree. To those eyebrow-archers, we have good news. BMW knows the M5 must remain an immolator of tires, and it has the hardware bits and software bytes to make sure all-wheel drive isn't a death sentence for fun.

BMW's M xDrive system allows all of the M5's 600 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque to claw enough traction to accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in 3.2 seconds, and to 124 mph in 11.1 seconds. That makes the latest M5 the quickest yet. Four-wheel-drive traction has its advantages. And if your battle cry is "death to all rubber!", you can always switch the M5 into rear-wheel-drive mode using the appropriate buttons from inside the cabin.

Again, purists may look at the smorgasbord of buttons, dials, and screens inside the 2018 M5 and wonder how we got here, especially compared to something as straightforward as the benchmark E39. The answer is the constant pursuit of performance. It's easy to stick 600-plus ponies in a sedan, and the result is going to be a hellish riot. The hard part is making them hook up and do what you want.

Enter the bright red M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel that allow the driver to customize two preferred driving modes. The engine can be set to Efficient, Sport, and Sport plus; the suspension and steering have Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus modes, also accessible via a series of buttons on the center console. There's a new version of BMW's shift stalk that confused us at first, with left-right detents for drive and reverse, but as much as we like to complain about the unnecessary reinvention of the shifter, owners will surely get used to it quickly.

Parked side-by-side, the new M5 looks tauter and more refined than the old. A carbon fiber roof removes weight right where you don't want it, and, combined with a new lighter-weight exhaust system, makes the new M5 less portly than its predecessor. The familiar kidney grilles are large, as are the three lower air intakes. Squared-off and scrunched-down versions of BMW's long-running halo headlights keep things looking fresh, and the four creases in the aluminum hood add aggression and hint at the power developed within.

That powerplant has a newly developed pair of turbochargers, new injectors for increased fuel pressure, and a charge-air cooling system that combine to allow maximum torque to spread from just 1,800 rpm all the way to 5,600 rpm. There's more than enough power to overcome the 2018 MW's 4,100-plus-pound curb weight. The transmission fires off quick shifts up and down, and is loathe to give up the proper gear when driving fast. A dual-clutch box might hack away a hundredth of a second here or there, but the conventional torque converter feels smooth and refined. We found little use for the steering-wheel-mounted paddles.

Sadly, though not unexpectedly, there's very little emotion in the steering. The steering ratio is plenty quick, on-center feel is good, and the car reacts instantly to directional changes. But there's really no sense of connection to the road surface, and you feel the loss of traction in your butt before your hands. That's the only demerit worth mentioning in the driving dynamics column.

We found Comfort suspension, Sport steering, and Sport engine modes to our liking on the street, so that was programmed into M1. When we hit the track, M2 mode brought up 4WD Sport from the M Dynamic Mode selector, which allows significant levels of rear-end slip before the stability and traction control systems step in to keep you on the straight and narrow, and put everything else in max-Sport modes. The triple-apex right-turn that is the Parabolica Ayrton Senna at Circuito do Estoril was 4WD Sport a perfect demonstration of the new M5's stunning ability to behave like the world's most manageable hi-po rear-wheel-drive sedan. Even a ham-hoofed journalist can hang the rear out with impunity — ask us how we know — without undue fear of overcooking the slide and pirouetting through the grass.

Hitting 150-ish on the long straightaway before slamming on the brakes for a cool-down lap gave us time to consider how impressively capable the big saloon is on a race track. Pulling back into the pits after six hot laps, the steel brakes (carbon ceramic discs are optional and recommended if you're planning to track your M5) were smoking, the Pirelli P Zeros were melting, and the turbocharged engine was sloughing off heat as designed. In short, everything was right with the world, though get ready for a massive tire bill if you like to throw down hot laps every once in a while. A 600-horsepower, two-ton behemoth can indeed bend the law of physics, but only so long before something, namely the tires, give way.

Out on the road, the 2018 BMW M5 behaves like a proper luxury sedan as it slips through traffic and bellows past slower cars on the highway. Comfort modes keep everything ... comfortable, heated and cooled seats swaddle posteriors, and the basic goodness of the 5 Series chassis shines through. The iDrive 6 software works well, though still through too many menus and submenus. If all that sounds too serene for you, there's a button to open up the exhaust for more rumble.

At $103,595 the 2018 M5 is pricey. That's $8,500 more expensive than the previous M5, but we think the 2018 version is worth its heady cost. Unless you have highly specialized needs, the 2018 M5 is probably all the car you could want. There's plenty of room, a plethora of power, oodles of tech, and, of course, the proper badge on the grille. The 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S is similarly priced, quick, and powerful, but is heavier and isn't as tuned-for-the-track as the Bimmer. Other competitors, like the Audi RS 7, Cadillac CTS-V, and Porsche Panamera are worthy of comparison, but none, for various reasons, align perfectly with the latest M5.

Looking back at past generations of the M5, it's easy to see why the E39 is hailed as an iconic sedan for people who love to drive. A big naturally aspirated V8, a six-speed manual transmission, a well-balanced chassis, and rear-wheel drive is stuff car-guy dreams are made of. The E60 moved the needle even further with a shrieking high-rev V10 and a host of technological advances. And then came the F10, which directly proceeded this new 2018 M5 and brought with it the birth of turbocharging and the death of clutch pedals. Every time, purists wailed but pocketbooks opened, with each successive M5 boasting greater performance and sales figures to match.

And, at least for the foreseeable future, the BMW M5 will remain the benchmark by which other performance sedans are judged. It's not perfect – there's no manual transmission, no dual-clutch either, and we have to wonder how much lighter it'd be without a front differential and driveshafts – and it may not be the purest of its breed. But it's definitely the fastest. Time marches on, and with it moves the quintessential sport sedan.
Source
Old 12-07-17, 12:46 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Agreed, its rather boring and does look a bit too much like a regular 5 series.

My favorite M5 is the E60, with the V10. Nobody had a 500hp sedan back in 2005, especially one that revved to 8200rpm and sounded like a damn Formula 1 car with the right exhaust. Plus I really liked the styling on that gen 5 series, I know a lot of people hated it, but I think it worked, unlike the similar treatment on the 7 series. The 5 series of the 10's, both this new model and the last model, are big, bland, bloat mobiles. This translates pretty well to the new and last gen M5, big, boring looking car with one hell of an engine under the hood. It just doesn't seem to have the same soul as the earlier 5 series cars.
I loved the E60 M5. I had fly by me once and the sound was incredible. I like both the older M5's prior to the E60 as well as the newer ones but that V10 was awesome.

This new one looks just like the F10 to me. I like that body style so it's fine with me.
Old 12-07-17, 05:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

love this angle...

needs to be a Black Optic package tho..... chrome looks horrible on this thing.

Last edited by bagwell; 12-07-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 04:11 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Quick Reply: 2018 bmw m5