Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Please help recommend a car to lease for commute

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 10:54 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help recommend a car to lease for commute

Hi all,

Im in need of a recommendation for a 3-yr lease, 12k miles per yr, 0 down
aiming to have the monthly below $500

here are some of my criteria:
1. sedans preferred, crossovers acceptable
2. decent MPG (above 20 in the city is preferred, and above 27 hwy)
3. lots of active safety features, including good adapter cruise or auto braking for stop-and-go fwy traffic
4. ventilated seats
5. good android auto implementation

It seems like a bit of a challenge but does such a vehicle exist?
I guess I was kind of vague on #3 but i've been looking at the volvo S90 lately
Old 08-19-17, 11:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If you didn't need the Android option, the ESh or ES would be right up your ally in terms of standard active safety features, and decent mileage. Both run on regular as well. Also has ventilated seats. The leases are crazy good right now during Lexus Golden Opportunity which ends Sept 5.
Old 08-20-17, 05:54 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was gonna say Volvo S90 seem to fit the bill.........then see you already have it in mind.
Old 08-20-17, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hyundai...................
Old 08-20-17, 04:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not all adaptive cruise controls systems are made equal! Some don't come to a complete stop, and some are super jerky with the brakes and the throttle tip in, making them neck snapping in stop and go type situations.

S90 would definitely fit the bill, not sure if the leases come out to under $500 with 0 down though. Looks like you're keen on a luxury type car, the Genesis G80 could fit your bill. I think with some light negotiation you should be able to get under $500 with 0 down and 12K a year. Fuel economy on a 3.8 RWD is 19/27. Kia Cadenza (i know not a "luxury car") could also come close to what you're looking for. Fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe Sport would have everything you're looking for. Fuel Economy would be just a little bit short.

Audi A4 and Q5 should also have everything that you're looking for.
Old 08-20-17, 05:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Genesis G80 / Lexus GS/ BMW 340i / Audi A4
Old 08-20-17, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Accord touring?

so many possibilities with those criteria.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-20-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 06:55 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

thanks all

i very much agree that adaptive cruise arent all made equal, thats what got me looking at volvo
can anyone chime in on the active safety features of G80 and A4?

whats a lease on the cheapest GS with ventilated seats run for now?
Old 08-21-17, 09:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

ES would be on the top of my list. Long list of luxury, impeccable service and treatment from dealer, solid reliability, and crazy good leases right now before the new one debuts. IS could be thrown in there too. Also consider the new Camry. Lower lease payment and use the savings for a nice trip. The non-hybrid gets near hybrid numbers. No Android connection though, if I read correctly.
Old 08-21-17, 11:20 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i hate how toyota is feuding over android auto and carplay
yes, toyota makes a good point in not handing over its backend programming, but if they had been making better systems, the market wouldnt see such fast adoption of carplay and android auto
Old 08-22-17, 12:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by UberNoob
thanks all

i very much agree that adaptive cruise arent all made equal, thats what got me looking at volvo

True on Lexus there is a High-Speed Dynamic cruise and a more advanced all-speed. Only the GS, RX, and LC have that currently though.

i hate how toyota is feuding over android auto and carplay
yes, toyota makes a good point in not handing over its backend programming, but if they had been making better systems, the market wouldnt see such fast adoption of carplay and android auto
good news for you, Car Play will be coming in about 16 months. A contract was signed with Apple recently, but don't expect it to debut until the 7ES (MY19). Android Auto is likely two years away. But that's just a guess
Old 08-22-17, 07:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

thanks all

Volvo and Audi have two of the more sophisticated systems on the market today. More active lane centering rather than the ping-pong between the lanes. Audi calls it Traffic Jam Assist and Active Lane Assist. The Volvo S90 system works at higher speeds I believe (could be wrong). Both were great with navigating LA stop and go traffic and on higher speed legs along the highway. I've used the Audi systems in the new Q7, Q5 and the allroad (shared with A4). I've used the Volvo systems in the XC90 and the S90 and V90 CC.

G80, this is now the older of the bunch, as the Hyundai Genesis came out back in 2015 model year. It was still remarkable in its ability to do active lane keep assist and full speed stop/go. But it's a bit more ping pong for the lane keep. This video was impressive (although they altered the lane keep system to stay on for longer times since there were no drivers in the cars to keep their hands on the wheel).

Old 08-22-17, 07:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

A couple of weeks ago my colleague had a BMW i3 at work and he let me drive it. It had a $54k (outrageous) sticker price, but he said it would be nothing down and $239/mo. to lease, which did not seem to make sense to either one of us (I am one of those #Never Lease! dudes), which at that price seemed attractive? In the end he really didn't like the car, but I could see using a car like this to commute, if you are within range....it had the extender meaning gas as well...I would check it out to see if that price is legit. Maybe nobody wants these things...
Old 08-22-17, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
A couple of weeks ago my colleague had a BMW i3 at work and he let me drive it. It had a $54k (outrageous) sticker price, but he said it would be nothing down and $239/mo. to lease, which did not seem to make sense to either one of us (I am one of those #Never Lease! dudes), which at that price seemed attractive? In the end he really didn't like the car, but I could see using a car like this to commute, if you are within range....it had the extender meaning gas as well...I would check it out to see if that price is legit. Maybe nobody wants these things...
They can generally price it high because on the leases they know there are tons of state and federal incentives that they can utilize to effectively bring the transaction price and lease prices down considerably. That paired with huge incentives from BMW as well since, as you surmised, demand isn't super high on them. I think they're great little commuter runabouts.
Old 08-23-17, 06:00 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Lots of great choices for vehicles, but most importantly make sure your commute and any other running around is going to be below the 12K lease requirement. Overage charges are expensive.

Quick Reply: Please help recommend a car to lease for commute