Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tires breaking loose on RWD common?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 01:11 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tires breaking loose on RWD common?

I have Continental DWS tires with plenty of tread left. These are supposedly decent tires.
But with light/normal throttle from a stop, I chirp the tires half the time before traction control kicks in.
Not sure if the tires have less grip or the road is dusty, though the road does look clean.

Anyone with expensive michelin tires often break the tires loose?
Old 08-19-17, 01:27 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Depends on the car, and the road/outdoor conditions.

Light throttle? Never heard my Michelins (A/S3+) chirp on my IS350. Moderate/Heavy? Depends on the conditions outside and the road.
Old 08-19-17, 02:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What car do you have? I had Conti DWS 06 on my GS430 and never had them chirp with light, moderate, or even heavy throttle. I had older Michelin summer tires on my GS430 that were pretty worn and I definitely had some traction issues on them in wet weather, particularly with turns, I was making a pretty sharp u turn one time on a wet highway and slid and almost did a 180 with traffic coming, scared me to death. Once I put on some Kuhmo Ecsta ASX never had any traction issues and were a lot smoother too, almost day and night difference, Conti's felt about the same.
Old 08-19-17, 02:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on the car, but that shouldn't happen. Check your wheel alignment.
Old 08-19-17, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Depends on the car, but that shouldn't happen. Check your wheel alignment.
Alignment is usually not an issue with traction problems.

One thing I can think of is that the TPS (Throttle-Position-Sensor) may not be working properly....sending a signal to the computer and fuel-injectors to inject too much fuel when starting up from rest, creating too much power in the engine.
Old 08-19-17, 02:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The two possibilities are over-aggressive throttle application by the driver or a mechanical malfunction. No tire in this category would chirp if taking off normally and everything else was working.
Old 08-19-17, 03:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I agree with mmarshall's suggestion. If you can use a multimeter and the TSRM for your Lexus check the voltage rages for your TPS sensor or TRAC sensor to make sure one or both are operating within OEM spec. Or take it to a mechanic to do the same.

It does depend on the car but it shouldn't happen unless you really tried to push the car full throttle from a stop. I've done it occasionally in a 290hp '99 LS400 by trying hard to but it wasn't much of a chirp. TC always kicked in after one second. The open differentials in most Lexus vehicles make this easier to do but for the vast majority of owners they won't be pushing their cars in such a way for it to make much difference. You have to deliberately try hard to do this unless you have a very modified suspension setup (or non-factory alignment) that has taken the car out of its ideal geometry. And even then, TC kicks in to limit power and further loss of control.

I have to deliberately try to do this in my car with no factory traction control. The only exception is very slick roads where tire to road adhesion is naturally lower. Even then, with mindful driving as to the conditions it still should not be easy to break loose.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-19-17 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I have Continental DWS tires with plenty of tread left. These are supposedly decent tires.
But with light/normal throttle from a stop, I chirp the tires half the time before traction control kicks in.
Not sure if the tires have less grip or the road is dusty, though the road does look clean.

Anyone with expensive michelin tires often break the tires loose?
might help if you said what car you have.
Old 08-20-17, 09:52 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Just a note, in his profile he says he has a 07 GS350 and a 03 ES300. I'd assume he's talking about the GS in this case.
Old 08-20-17, 11:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmon
Just a note, in his profile he says he has a 07 GS350 and a 03 ES300. I'd assume he's talking about the GS in this case.
If that is the case neither of those cars are very powerful enough to be regularly chirping tires on Conti DWS though the 07 GS350 did have some pretty aggressive gearing down low.
Old 08-20-17, 01:08 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Turns out all my tires lost 6 psi over time, and were underinflated. I just read that contributes to chirping and slip from turns.
and I have Power ECT mode turned on all the time in my GS. so it's jumpy with the throttle.

Inflated all back up to 34psi, we'll see.
Old 08-20-17, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Turns out all my tires lost 6 psi over time, and were underinflated. I just read that contributes to chirping and slip from turns.
and I have Power ECT mode turned on all the time in my GS. so it's jumpy with the throttle.

Inflated all back up to 34psi, we'll see.
Check your tire pressures when cold (sitting in the shade at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight). Tires heat up and add PSI when the car is moving and/or sitting in the sun...the tire's black color absorbs a lot of sunlight. The general rule of thumb is that every ten degrees of air temperature is 1 extra PSI in the tire.

Some of the automatic pressure-indicators in newer vehicles will also sometimes take a minute or two to stabilize when the tires first start rolling....you might not get a perfectly accurate reading from them at first.
Old 08-22-17, 12:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

This all depends on the car. My little 2wd Tacoma, 2.4 liters of fury, its stupid easy to get wheelspin from a dead stop, especially in the rain. If you want to get the jump on somebody at a light, it involves wheelspin, no way to take off quickly in that truck without breaking traction.
Old 08-22-17, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I dunno I have Pilot Super Sports, are those expensive? And I dunno what kind of car we're talking about so I figure it's not material. I will say yes, if I accelerate even mildly, my traction control kicks in, very annoying. Also, it has a hill holder that is quite annoying as it grabs the rear even when not on a hill for a few ms. I would disable the traction and stability, but that's also not recommended by the mfg and forum, so can't win....
Old 08-22-17, 08:13 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This all depends on the car. My little 2wd Tacoma, 2.4 liters of fury, its stupid easy to get wheelspin from a dead stop, especially in the rain. If you want to get the jump on somebody at a light, it involves wheelspin, no way to take off quickly in that truck without breaking traction.
This is because pickups have very little weight over the rear axle when unloaded.

I know my truck likes to get freaky in the rain. Or if I'm climbing up a steep gravel road.

.....or if I ****** stomp on the pedal.

Quick Reply: tires breaking loose on RWD common?