Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla flipped a switch and the 75 kWh is a second faster to 60

Old 08-18-17, 02:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Tesla flipped a switch and the 75 kWh is a second faster to 60

Tesla’s recent OTA update shaved a full second off of the 0-60 times for the Model S and X. 0-60 come in as little as 4.2 seconds now. Smart air suspension was also added as standard now, a great move IMO. Also fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats are optional in the Model X.

Here’s the email:
“New Features for Model S and Model X
Model S and Model X are the quickest and safest cars in their class and now include new standard features at no additional cost. Smart Air Suspension provides better handling, efficiency and ride comfort with automatic location-based vehicle height adjustments. In addition, new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster. We are also offering a new cream interior color.
Model X is now available in a new seven-seat configuration, with second and third row seats that fold flat for maximum cargo space.”
Attached Thumbnails Tesla flipped a switch and the 75 kWh is a second faster to 60-photo476.jpg  
Old 08-18-17, 03:08 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

sounds straight forward enough. raise the current limit to the electric motor in software, so more power and load on the battery. stress testing and validation probably 10,000X longer than the SW change
Old 08-18-17, 08:50 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If only gas cars could update like that...
Old 08-20-17, 12:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
If only gas cars could update like that...
lmao I saw the thread title and thought of something similar but you already read my mind hah

Well played
Old 08-20-17, 01:37 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
sounds straight forward enough. raise the current limit to the electric motor in software, so more power and load on the battery. stress testing and validation probably 10,000X longer than the SW change
^^ Exactly. It just means the R&D for the battery, battery management, motor controller(s), and AC motors was extensive enough that there was plenty of room within the expected lifecycle of use and abuse on the components that they figured no added harm would come of this. There are surely limits within the system as designed at even higher kilowat-hour and amperage that would reduce the safe operating life of one or more components to the point of unreliability. Well before much damage could occur to the motor and controllers they'd be concerned about severely reduced operating life for the batteries... or maybe just reduced range.

Adding more power is never unwelcome but I'm also interested in another company apart from Saleen stepping up and offering more aggressive fixed gear ratios with a different angle to the mesh (or dog gears) to add some pleasant transmission noise to performance EV's. Tesla will not do this but that's the way forward in my opinion as far as noise is concerned: focus on the transmission/direct drive styles and types of gears used. I believe Saleen also had an actual differential (possibly an LSD) specially designed for their testbed Model S P-series.