Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Prototype 9: Vintage-Inspired Race Car Concept at Pebble Beach

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 01:50 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infiniti Prototype 9: Vintage-Inspired Race Car Concept at Pebble Beach

http://www.motortrend.com/news/infin...ve-first-look/

The Prototype 9 project began with a message from Infiniti’s U.S. marketing team to design chief Alfonso Albaisa. It was based on a discussion point from an internal brand meeting held Stateside, which went something like this: Imagine you are somewhere in the Japan countryside and came across a car, sheltered in a barn, hidden away for decades. Not only is it a race car, but it is also an Infiniti. What would that car look like? Could it be connected to the Infiniti production cars of today? “Our expectation was that Alfonso and his team would just do a sketch for us,” says Infiniti Americas communications director Kyle Bazemore. “Or maybe, at a stretch, a CG video. And perhaps, if we were extremely lucky, a clay model.”

No one, least of all Albaisa, expected it to turn into a real car.

The Prototype 9 evolved into a skunkworks project as Albaisa’s fellow designers at Infiniti’s Atsugi studio in Japan began contributing ideas. Then, when managers at Nissan’s factory in Oppama saw a model of the car, they decided they wanted to turn it into real thing. “I was a little surprised,” Albaisa admits, “but it turns out they still train people in all the traditional car-building arts. They thought this was the perfect project, and they decided—on their own—to follow the design story as if [it were] real.” A team of takumi—Nissan’s master craftspeople—assembled to lead the build. Nissan’s advanced engineering team learned about the project and volunteered to help, as did Nissan’s specialty vehicle division, Autech. “Suddenly we had three of our largest departments working on it,” Albaisa says.
Stunning concept by Infiniti. This seems like one of those "just for fun" concepts, but I think I see hints and inklings of the direction Infiniti wants to go. Design Chief Alfonso Albaisa and Karim Habib are taking Infiniti's design in the right direction. I absolutely love that they had the guts to build a concept like this -- and even timed it for the perfect event - Pebble Beach. This new interpretation of the Infiniti grille and the hood ornament is a very striking combination, I would like to see it in their production cars.

I love that the 3 Japanese luxury brands are reinventing themselves. Of course Lexus started it all with the 2012 GS and they've had a head start in reinvigorating their lineup's design, but Infiniti is not far behind with the new QX50 and QX80 coming out in the next couple of years. I'm also excited to see their next-generation sedan lineup. The Q80 Inspiration sedan was such a sleek and beautiful concept -- I could see Infiniti giving the CLS/A7 a run for their money if they produce it.

Acura is lagging much further behind than the others, but I also like the direction they're going in the last year or so. The introduction of the "Diamond Pentagon" design is a success, IMO, giving the brand much needed life after a full decade of "beak" problems. The next generation of Acura designs built with the Precision concept's design language and Diamond Pentagon will be even more successful. If anything, they just need to bring their interior game up and I have a feeling they will do just that with the next releases. I'm done with expecting Acura to ever release a RWD car -- but they're hustling in their own way.
Old 08-12-17, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great concept by Infiniti. Love the classic open-wheel grand prix style car mixed with modern design elements and powertrains.
Old 08-12-17, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A complete waste of money and time. Infiniti should be concentrating on future and relevant models that are lagging. This concept will do zero for the brand.
Old 08-12-17, 10:21 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The Q60 is eating the RC's lunch

Infiniti has the 400 HP twin turbo V6

The Q50 sells more than the IS

QX30 CUV is doing ok

That sums up to their newer models are competitive and they are improving their line up model by model
Old 08-12-17, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I rarely see any new Infinitis here in L.A. Don't know where they are all being taken.
Old 08-12-17, 10:57 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

If I believe YouTube, everyone in LA has a super car, hyper car, RR, Bentley or Range Rover.

Infiniti seems to do well here in Chicagoland.

I wish there were more COE trucks on the road like your picture shows.

Some of the BMW delivery trucks are COE but it is a dying breed in the US.
Old 08-14-17, 02:09 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

wow, and I thought Lexus' grill was awful.
Old 08-14-17, 04:16 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I see this, but it's not offensive though

Old 08-14-17, 06:56 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only words in the original article that stood out for me were: "marketing team" and "brand meeting" who apparently wanted to get some buzz on "re-imagining the past". I call it re-imaging the past. It's another short attention span bit of fluff by people who wouldn't really know much about the history or pedigree of the Germans when it comes to racing.

If you're serious about gaming some credentials from racing you have to show Nissan's racing pedigree rather than trying to chase some mythical past. That belongs to the German big 3.

Audi's Auto Union racer that can be said to be an inspiration for the single frame grill.

The Mercedes Silver Arrow.

The recent Nissan race history

Paul Newman, a lasting legend and a Nissan racer
Old 08-14-17, 07:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The only words in the original article that stood out for me were: "marketing team" and "brand meeting" who apparently wanted to get some buzz on "re-imagining the past". I call it re-imaging the past. It's another short attention span bit of fluff by people who wouldn't really know much about the history or pedigree of the Germans when it comes to racing.

If you're serious about gaming some credentials from racing you have to show Nissan's racing pedigree rather than trying to chase some mythical past. That belongs to the German big 3.
Germans aren't the only ones with racing heritage - lets not forget Italians, French, British and of course Americans. Of course Asians are late to the game, but its a cool concept for what it is.
Old 08-14-17, 07:30 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Germans aren't the only ones with racing heritage - lets not forget Italians, French, British and of course Americans. Of course Asians are late to the game, but its a cool concept for what it is.
Yep. But that's not what I was referring to specifically here. Those manufacturers had different cars from the Germans. They looked different from the Audis and Benzes. And they were different colors: reds, yellows and of course green.

Different designs and shapes. Here you have a sort of "cribbing" of the Mercedes Silver Arrow/Audi Auto Union racer mystique.