Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Nissan Altima

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 06:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,710 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Wow, that is ugly! The grille is a huge mess!
Agreed, way over the top clown shoe styling. Yikes.
Old 03-29-18, 07:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Buyer loyalty for Camry, Accord and Altima is pretty locked in for each brand. Toyota also does base to mid level Camry's really well. I would expect Sonata, Fusion and Malibu to lose out.
Loyalty is only relevant when it is 100%. If 5% arent loyal and defects, the Camry will lose close to 20k units a year. That's quite substantial. Plus consumer defecting to SUVs and you start going down a slippery slope from there.
Old 03-29-18, 07:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Agreed, way over the top clown shoe styling. Yikes.
Nissan's version of the Crown.
Old 03-29-18, 09:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I actually like the styling. Looks much more sleek than the current version.

If I were in the market, I would place this behind the Camry and Mazda6, but ahead of the Accord.
Old 03-29-18, 02:21 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly hate the new trend of the infotainment screen, where they stick it there like a tablet. It doesn't flow with the interior of the car at all - it makes it seem kind of like an after-thought.

I personally think cars look so much better when the infotainment screen is integrated into the actual dash. That gives it a more refine look and it doesn't look like an engineer decided to slap on a screen at the last minute prior to production.
Old 03-29-18, 09:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I honestly hate the new trend of the infotainment screen, where they stick it there like a tablet. It doesn't flow with the interior of the car at all - it makes it seem kind of like an after-thought.

I personally think cars look so much better when the infotainment screen is integrated into the actual dash. That gives it a more refine look and it doesn't look like an engineer decided to slap on a screen at the last minute prior to production.
You need to remember that cars reflect the trends in society at that time. Late 50's/early 60's, its the jet age, rockets, space travel. Completely over the top cars, tail lights shaped like rocket engines, pointy things on the front bumper that look like the front of a fighter jet, roof lines and glass that try to mimic a fighter jet canopy. Stuff like this instrument display in certain chrysler products

Getting back to my point, we are now in the age of the smart phone and tablet. This trend of stupid screens sticking up out of the dash is a reflection of our time. Designers are trying to make the dash look like a tablet, like your smart phone. Of course its kind of silly the way they do it though, you can't update the software or change the graphics set every couple of years to keep it looking current. Look at cars with screens that are 8 to 15 years old now, the interface looks horribly dated and its rather clunky to navigate. Makes you want to buy that model car without the navigation option, so you get real buttons and a more conventional looking radio with actual buttons.
Old 03-29-18, 09:56 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I dig it.
Old 03-29-18, 10:00 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You need to remember that cars reflect the trends in society at that time. Late 50's/early 60's, its the jet age, rockets, space travel. Completely over the top cars, tail lights shaped like rocket engines, pointy things on the front bumper that look like the front of a fighter jet, roof lines and glass that try to mimic a fighter jet canopy. Stuff like this instrument display in certain chrysler products

Getting back to my point, we are now in the age of the smart phone and tablet. This trend of stupid screens sticking up out of the dash is a reflection of our time. Designers are trying to make the dash look like a tablet, like your smart phone. Of course its kind of silly the way they do it though, you can't update the software or change the graphics set every couple of years to keep it looking current. Look at cars with screens that are 8 to 15 years old now, the interface looks horribly dated and its rather clunky to navigate. Makes you want to buy that model car without the navigation option, so you get real buttons and a more conventional looking radio with actual buttons.
I just personally think its an awful design language because it makes the car look cheap and lazy by just sticking a tablet there. This is the exact reason why I think Mercedes' new Virtual Cockpit is ugly. On top of having their navigation stuck there, their new gauges its literally a tablet stuck between the steering wheel; it looks like the engineers stuck it on afterwards. They should have went the Audi route and integrated it into the actual gauge dash.

I know its a trend but its not a full trend yet; as in not every car companies is following it. There are multiple car companies that still integrate it into the car, which makes it beautiful. Look at the new Lexus LS - they could have made it stuck out but I'm happy they didn't. The interior of the Lexus LS looks like a masterpiece.

I agree with your point - once the tablet-like screen gets dated in the future - the car will look horrible and hard to navigate + it'll be laggy too. However, even if you OPT out of navigation, you still get the screen sitting out of there. In the future, the "old cars" will have out-dated screens with old graphics on them. Just like how today's "old cars", all have just a radio with hard-switch buttons on them. Its just how going to end up.
Old 03-29-18, 10:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just personally think its an awful design language because it makes the car look cheap and lazy by just sticking a tablet there. This is the exact reason why I think Mercedes' new Virtual Cockpit is ugly. On top of having their navigation stuck there, their new gauges its literally a tablet stuck between the steering wheel; it looks like the engineers stuck it on afterwards. They should have went the Audi route and integrated it into the actual gauge dash.

I know its a trend but its not a full trend yet; as in not every car companies is following it. There are multiple car companies that still integrate it into the car, which makes it beautiful. Look at the new Lexus LS - they could have made it stuck out but I'm happy they didn't. The interior of the Lexus LS looks like a masterpiece.

I agree with your point - once the tablet-like screen gets dated in the future - the car will look horrible and hard to navigate + it'll be laggy too. However, even if you OPT out of navigation, you still get the screen sitting out of there. In the future, the "old cars" will have out-dated screens with old graphics on them. Just like how today's "old cars", all have just a radio with hard-switch buttons on them. Its just how going to end up.
The thing is with older 80's/90's/00's cars, they tend to have standard sized radios. Its either DIN or DOUBLE DIN sized openings, you can easily put a brand new aftermarket touch screen headunit in a double din opening that does all the latest parlor tricks of newer cars with screens. Or in a single DIN opening you can put one of those IMO kind of now dated screens that pops up and out. Older cars, you can teach new tricks IMO.

Now days everything has a custom integrated infotainment system that is dated to the day you bought it, you can't upgrade it, you can't improve on it, its stuck in that particular year that you bought it. Which is my point on a lot of cars from the mid to late 00's(even up to 2013 or so on some cars), you are stuck with this damn stupid infotainment system that is so hardwired into the car's electrical system that you can't replace it. Yet its completely dated, but there is nothing you can do about it.
Old 03-30-18, 04:35 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nicely done Nissan, better styled than the Maxima both in and out.

Though in this class, smart gutsy move by Toyota to retain the V6 in the Camry with all the smoothness and power delivery that no Turbo 4 can match, yet still be competitive in fuel economy. XSE V6 is where my money would go in this segment.
Old 03-30-18, 10:16 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The thing is with older 80's/90's/00's cars, they tend to have standard sized radios. Its either DIN or DOUBLE DIN sized openings, you can easily put a brand new aftermarket touch screen headunit in a double din opening that does all the latest parlor tricks of newer cars with screens. Or in a single DIN opening you can put one of those IMO kind of now dated screens that pops up and out. Older cars, you can teach new tricks IMO.

Now days everything has a custom integrated infotainment system that is dated to the day you bought it, you can't upgrade it, you can't improve on it, its stuck in that particular year that you bought it. Which is my point on a lot of cars from the mid to late 00's(even up to 2013 or so on some cars), you are stuck with this damn stupid infotainment system that is so hardwired into the car's electrical system that you can't replace it. Yet its completely dated, but there is nothing you can do about it.
That's definitely true. I agree with your opinion. I have a couple friends that removed their old radio out of their S2Ks and add a new aftermarket touch screen. You can definitely teach old cars new tricks.

I guess you can say its capitalism at work. It forces people who want to update their system to buy a new car.
Old 03-30-18, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
hope the Camry gets AWD in the next 2 yrs at its midcycle refresh or the Altima will eat its lunch. At a minimum add AWD to the hybrid.
Yikes... poor Camry, forever in doubt.

New Altima is looking nice... but it will also have less incentives than outgoing one, so it will have more competition at higher average selling price. Toyota now has technologically more advanced car, without very reasonable price... It is tough to compete against Camry these days.
Old 03-30-18, 10:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Sign of the times. I wonder if the trend might shift, with the EPA supposedly relaxing standards. How much longer can car cos count on people to have flunked physics? lol (HP keeps climbing, torque not going anywhere at all, unusable rpms listed in the brochure)
Old 03-30-18, 11:35 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Sign of the times. I wonder if the trend might shift, with the EPA supposedly relaxing standards. How much longer can car cos count on people to have flunked physics? lol (HP keeps climbing, torque not going anywhere at all, unusable rpms listed in the brochure)
To the average consumer - stats on paper sells. This is what car companies and dealers like to do - they'll sell you what's good on the paper. This is how so much people get tricked into buying a specific car without knowing much about it. I have been to so many dealers where the salesperson says something along the lines of "this car is fast - it has (blank) amount of HP." But, yet, as we all know, torque is the reason why the car accelerates fast, not HP. HP is a bigger number most of the time so car companies and dealers sell that to people.
Old 03-30-18, 11:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

To the average consumer - stats on paper sells. This is what car companies and dealers like to do - they'll sell you what's good on the paper. This is how so much people get tricked into buying a specific car without knowing much about it. I have been to so many dealers where the salesperson says something along the lines of "this car is fast - it has (blank) amount of HP." But, yet, as we all know, torque is the reason why the car accelerates fast, not HP. HP is a bigger number most of the time so car companies and dealers sell that to people.
I suppose it's human nature, it doesn't seem like anybody wants to understand anything anymore and they don't even care if someone is pulling one over on them...even the tax reform. My buddy said we never even came close to 24k in itemized deductions, winning! But I say what about $4,050 x 5 for your exemptions being gone, and then factor in your bracket was pretty high so I don't think the $1,000 x 3 children will offset it. He goes dude, I haven't done my own taxes since the 90's! My accountant says we should have thousands more! (and he studied accounting in undergrad) I'm not saying his tax liability won't be less, but he is dwelling upon $24k minus his 2017 sched A and feeling it's a huge bonus.

But I'm thinking that if the EPA relaxes, suddenly there could be (maybe doubtful?) a shift away from small turbo motors, and back into large NA motors....that have an easy time with things. Again, it is totally different, how a V8 3UZ behaves, than how a highly boosted 4 cyl. who can almost have the same, almost, torque, behaves.

Quick Reply: 2019 Nissan Altima