Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 Lexus GS300 Used Estimated Value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 06:56 PM
Cjrosell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Lexus GS300 Used Estimated Value?

Hey there,

I have a "Good" condition Lexus GS300 with 179,000 miles on it. I just got a new alternator 4 months ago, did a top engine walnut blast, repaired the exhaust pipe from Oxidation rust, and got new front brake calipers all in the last year (around $2,500). Now I need to get all new rims and tires because there's corrosion on the rims that are original factory rims. I also need to replace the front axel rods since both boots are leaking. Total would be about $1600.

I am trying to decide how much I could get privately selling it. There's a few dings here and there but nothing major, and the front lower fog light is broken. Other than that just tiny scratches here and there on the leather but nothing really noticeable.

How much do you think I could get for it? Any advice is appreciated as I'm trying to decide if I should sell and get a newer reliable car or keep this, invest the $1,500 and drive this thing into the ground (risking other issues down the road).

Thanks!
Connor
Old 07-12-18, 08:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All that money for repairs and not gonna replace the broken foglight? That's one of the first things I'd notice. Should be available used on eBay for cheap...just my .02
Old 07-12-18, 08:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the new rims won't get you any extra money, the new tires might get you a few hundred
Old 07-13-18, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You're just asking for wild guesses, right? $3000 as-is, maybe $4,000 if all fixed? My guess is you should keep it, it likely will go a long way, but someone buying it has no way to tell so they're not going to pay top dollar...
Old 07-13-18, 06:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Post up some pics here too!
Old 07-13-18, 10:12 AM
Cjrosell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-13-18, 12:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

you could do without the rims.
just use anti-rust, and paint over it. That's all these rims are.... cheap painted rims.

Cracked front bumper is gonna take a ton of money off the price, since replace and repaint will cost another $1000.

It's basically a beater car, and is probably a better value to you if you just drive it into the ground.
This is one of the last better looking lexus cars. Current ones are all fugly. I would just keep it.
Old 07-13-18, 02:21 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It’s still a beautiful car but because of the carbon build up and oil consumption with the 3.0 engines, many within the auto industry rank the 2006 models pretty low. As others have said, you’re better off keeping it and loving it. My 300 has over 170K on the odometer and it still runs beautifully. I plan on keeping her until she dies of natural causes. My next car will most likely be an Audi A6 or next gen A5 Sportback. But for now, my GS serves me well with no issues. Amazingly I still get compliments on this old beauty.

Last edited by Propulsion; 07-15-18 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 10:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

All GS's hold value well and are desirable. It is a Lexus thing. You have a well-liked model with timeless looks.
Condition of yours is so-so, not perfect, maybe a shade below "good." Do a full detail, try to touch up what you can, and fool buyers into thinking you have something dazzling. Don't spend money on the big stuff. Go to Autotrader.com and see what others are asking for similar units.
Old 07-14-18, 11:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I say keep it and drive it into the ground, start saving money for a newer vehicle. You just won't get much for a car in that condition with that mileage and you will have to spend too much money to get into a condition where you might get a decent amount. Try looking for some kind of heavy duty adhesive or special tape to try to fix the bumper in the mean time, you should be able to wet sand those scrapes out in the bumper too, that big nick in the bumper can also be fixed pretty well with some bondo, sanding and spraying with urethane aerosol and 2K clear, don't bother with new wheels, you can respray them. Try doing everything you can yourself and sourcing aftermarket parts and if you give your car a good detail it will still look very good.
Old 07-14-18, 06:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't see whats wrong with the wheels other than them being dirty. Besides I thought aluminum wheels didn't rust/corrode. I know the finish can get funky on them from salt, but that's a cosmetic issue.

I'd say keep that car another couple years, you just spent some major $$$$ on the engine, fixing that carbon buildup issue, which shouldn't have to be fixed again for the life of the car. Also next time its in the shop, ask if you can look under it while its on the lift. See how bad its rusting and if you're going to have to spend major $$$$ fixing stuff like rusty brake lines, holes in the floor/structure, rusty subframe etc.
Old 07-14-18, 09:49 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I say keep it and drive it into the ground, start saving money for a newer vehicle. You just won't get much for a car in that condition with that mileage and you will have to spend too much money to get into a condition where you might get a decent amount. Try looking for some kind of heavy duty adhesive or special tape to try to fix the bumper in the mean time, you should be able to wet sand those scrapes out in the bumper too, that big nick in the bumper can also be fixed pretty well with some bondo, sanding and spraying with urethane aerosol and 2K clear, don't bother with new wheels, you can respray them. Try doing everything you can yourself and sourcing aftermarket parts and if you give your car a good detail it will still look very good.
I wouldn't even bother with the bumper. It's just not worth the effort for a worthless 180,000 mile beater car.

I would just drill two holes around the crack, and tie them together with something that doesn't corrode.
You just can't use stiff bondo on a flexible part.
It's hopeless.
Old 07-15-18, 10:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I wouldn't even bother with the bumper. It's just not worth the effort for a worthless 180,000 mile beater car.

I would just drill two holes around the crack, and tie them together with something that doesn't corrode.
You just can't use stiff bondo on a flexible part.
It's hopeless.
They have flexible bondo for bumpers. I think if he was able to find a way to seal that cracked bumper with a very strong adhesive/tape or maybe finding a way to drill and put a screw/bolt in to keep it together he could make it almost invisible along with some sanding and a decent spray job. He could still make the beater car look much nicer for not too much more investment.