Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac's Super Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Unattractive steering wheel and gauge package. Automatic "pass."
Agreed. We need to take driving more seriously. This practice reduces things even further, making the "I do not pay attention" problem even worse.

I much rather see major car companies pool their money together and expand the U.S. highways system. Can't drive anywhere in SoCal anymore, regardless of human or auto pilot. Let's stick to the things that actually affect people's lives the most.
Old 07-14-18, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I much rather see major car companies pool their money together and expand the U.S. highways system. Can't drive anywhere in SoCal anymore, regardless of human or auto pilot. Let's stick to the things that actually affect people's lives the most.

The main problem is that land has gotten too expensive in the urban areas (like SoCal) that need highway-expansion or new highways the most. Same problem in the D.C. area. In addition, neighborhood NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard) groups inevitably fight, and almost inevitably win.
Old 07-14-18, 09:02 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you really think car companies are going to donate their profits to Federal and State coffers. Besides, It's practically impossible to build a new road on new alignment with all the environmental restrictions and the NIMBY crowd. In the end the politicians would spend the money on their pet projects not where it's needed.
Old 07-14-18, 01:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

In crowded urban areas, there may not be any space left to add highways. And then if you do add highways, you have the "if you build it, they will come" problem -- building more relieves congestion for a little while until more people start driving those highways and you start snowballing again.

It may be better to invest in ways to get commuters out of their cars, like investing in mass rapid transit.
Old 07-14-18, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
In crowded urban areas, there may not be any space left to add highways. And then if you do add highways, you have the "if you build it, they will come" problem -- building more relieves congestion for a little while until more people start driving those highways and you start snowballing again.

It may be better to invest in ways to get commuters out of their cars, like investing in mass rapid transit.

I've said for years that we need new roads without massive development to go along with it, but things just never seem to work out that way. We also need much more maintenance and upkeep of existing roads, many of which are in deplorable condition.

The big problem with mass transit is that the systems tend to be run incompetently, and have overly-powerful Transit Unions that prevent poor employees from being discharged. Probably nowhere is that more apparent than in the D.C. subway system before the present chief (Paul Wiedefeld) came along. He is the first competent chief the system has had in almost 40 years.
Old 07-14-18, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now, back to Super Cruise. I think we got off-topic.
Old 07-15-18, 09:48 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're really interested in learning what Super Cruise is, Alex on Autos has done a nice video and few others are available to what is does in real driving on You Tube.