Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 02:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Of course, the ES isn't a valid replacement for the GS... That's not what I was saying at all. But, would it be bad to have an F Sport, or at least better-handling ES? Not at all.
I agree with you. ES F-Sport isn't a bad idea. Just replacing the GS would be. The other fear I have is that they up size the IS because of the lack of GS. I wouldn't be a happy camper
Old 08-08-17, 04:39 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
The only Dynamic force engine they have released so far is the 2.5 4 cyl in the new Camry which has class leading output and efficiency figures
If the new engines didnt output as much horsepower as the competition but offered class leading or at least competetive fuel economy that may not necessarily be a bad thing. The current engine lineup does neither.
Old 08-08-17, 05:24 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
If the new engines didnt output as much horsepower as the competition but offered class leading or at least competetive fuel economy that may not necessarily be a bad thing. The current engine lineup does neither.
That new 2.5 is a stone age engine. It should have hit the market 5 years ago when Mazda SkyActive did because that's exactly what it is, it's Toyotas own SkyActive engine. It has more horsepower but same amount of torque and better claimed fuel efficiency by 1mpg in city and 4mpg on highway. Next SkyActive-X will have city mpg in low 30s.

Toyota is really milking high and dry here and considering the fact the new ES will be available in Germany for the first time I wonder what are they going to put inside of it cause 2.5 or current Russian 2.0 are not going to cut it in midsize segment. I assume there would be 2.0T in it together with 2.5H somewhere down the way.
Old 08-08-17, 05:52 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree with you. ES F-Sport isn't a bad idea. Just replacing the GS would be. The other fear I have is that they up size the IS because of the lack of GS. I wouldn't be a happy camper
ES and GS can't co-exist, one makes the other pointless.

GS needs to evolve into a four door coupe panamera/CLS competitor. Although at that point why not just have a rwd sedan based on the same platform.

Clearly they're not going to kill the ES which would be the sensible thing.
Old 08-08-17, 06:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

GS needs to evolve into a four door coupe panamera/CLS competitor. Although at that point why not just have a rwd sedan based on the same platform.

i agree with this, but as you say, they can coexist if there is more differentiation, and the avalon should really be able to keep es sales volume anyway.
Old 08-08-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Sensible thing? You gotta be kidding. The ES sells like hotcakes...particularly among the blue-hair crowd. Probably half of the retired people I regularly swim with at the indoor red-center pool own them...and 25% of them Buick Lacrosses LOL.

Of course, yes, ALL sedan sales are down some as folks have shifted to SUVs, and the ES has not escaped that trend, either.....but it still is extremely popular by sedan standards.

As far as the ES and GS co-existing, I see it as apples and oranges. Different platforms, completely different drivetrains, and different clientele. One is clearly a cruiser...the other, a (borderline) bruiser.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-08-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 07:06 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
That new 2.5 is a stone age engine. It should have hit the market 5 years ago when Mazda SkyActive did because that's exactly what it is, it's Toyotas own SkyActive engine. It has more horsepower but same amount of torque and better claimed fuel efficiency by 1mpg in city and 4mpg on highway. Next SkyActive-X will have city mpg in low 30s.

Toyota is really milking high and dry here and considering the fact the new ES will be available in Germany for the first time I wonder what are they going to put inside of it cause 2.5 or current Russian 2.0 are not going to cut it in midsize segment. I assume there would be 2.0T in it together with 2.5H somewhere down the way.
The new 2.5 has more torque 184 lb.-ft, 203 HP, up to 41 mpg highway. Those are pretty good specs for a base engine. If that is stone age, i dont know who offers a modern engine in that class?
Old 08-08-17, 08:03 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

The only way I can see lexus killing the ES is to price the GS like the ES.

Clearly, if ES and GS are priced the same, nobody would pick the ES (I'm sure there will be small percentage who will)
Old 08-08-17, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Clearly, if ES and GS are priced the same, nobody would pick the ES (I'm sure there will be small percentage who will)
I'd be in that small percentage...though I admit the GS has a better interior. But the GS's RWD (and higher price) has little attraction for me...it's too sport-oriented for my tastes.
Old 08-08-17, 08:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sensible thing? You gotta be kidding. The ES sells like hotcakes...particularly among the blue-hair crowd. Probably half of the retired people I regularly swim with at the indoor red-center pool own them...and 25% of them Buick Lacrosses LOL.

Of course, yes, ALL sedan sales are down some as folks have shifted to SUVs, and the ES has not escaped that trend, either.....but it still is extremely popular by sedan standards.

As far as the ES and GS co-existing, I see it as apples and oranges. Different platforms, completely different drivetrains, and different clientele. One is clearly a cruiser...the other, a (borderline) bruiser.
If Lexus focuses on the GS it can sell just as well, and the ES crowd will migrate. Currently they see two midsize V6 Lexus sedans in the showroom, and pick the ES - which is cheaper, more comfortable, and has more interior space.

RWD vs FWD and performance don't matter.
Old 08-09-17, 12:26 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
The new 2.5 has more torque 184 lb.-ft, 203 HP, up to 41 mpg highway. Those are pretty good specs for a base engine. If that is stone age, i dont know who offers a modern engine in that class?
Shhhh! What are you doing!!!

You can't let facts get in the way of their false narrative.

Last edited by natnut; 08-09-17 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 12:41 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The ES/GS conundrum :

the ES is too much of a money maker to let go but it brings down the brand prestige due to its humble FWD Camry roots. It succeeds because it offers a luxury badge, roominess and comfort for relative bargain compared to the German competition.

the GS offers the RWD driving dynamics and prestige and actually handles better than the German competition but fails because it is half size smaller than the Eclass/5 series/A6 in interior space and most midsize luxury sport sedan sales are largely driven by utility and comfort despite what the marketing would have you believe. It is fighting a sales battle on 2 fronts : One against the Germans who win on badge snob factor and its price is too close to the Germans, another against its badge-mate, the ES who wins on utility and price.

The solution :

lies in further differentiating the ES and the GS. Lexus should give up any hopes of the GS being a mass market sales magnet and just purely push the GS into a niche 4 door Grancoupe market.

Price the GS closer to a CLS/6 GC/A7, offer class leading dynamics and power and LC level styling, work out ways to cut down on material costs by offering cheaper construction compared to the LC but somehow have almost the same levels of perceived build quality and expensiveness especially for the interior, rebrand the GS as a more affordable 4 door GC version of the LC, stick in the 3.5L 415hp TT LS engine as the base engine and watch the GS blow away the 6 series/CLS/A7 in terms of sales.

Last edited by natnut; 08-09-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 01:52 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Natnut has it right, the ES should be the value sales leader while the GS should be a niche model. The ES is a Lexus for people who want comfort and reliability at a lower price. Not everyone wants or needs RWD, AWD or sporty handling.

The Toyota Aristo was a Gran Coupe-like design that the current GS should have followed. Lexus tried turning the GS into a BMW 5-series clone but that hasn't done wonders for worldwide sales. China has the biggest global market for the long-wheelbase 5 and most people there buy it for badge and snob appeal, not for the handling. Most people wouldn't know which axle had the driven wheels. The imported ES sells well in that market because it's big, quiet, relatively luxurious and it's cheaper than locally-assembled A6s and 5-series.
Old 08-09-17, 05:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The ES/GS conundrum :

the ES is too much of a money maker to let go but it brings down the brand prestige due to its humble FWD Camry roots. It succeeds because it offers a luxury badge, roominess and comfort for relative bargain compared to the German competition.

the GS offers the RWD driving dynamics and prestige and actually handles better than the German competition but fails because it is half size smaller than the Eclass/5 series/A6 in interior space and most midsize luxury sport sedan sales are largely driven by utility and comfort despite what the marketing would have you believe. It is fighting a sales battle on 2 fronts : One against the Germans who win on badge snob factor and its price is too close to the Germans, another against its badge-mate, the ES who wins on utility and price.

The solution :

lies in further differentiating the ES and the GS. Lexus should give up any hopes of the GS being a mass market sales magnet and just purely push the GS into a niche 4 door Grancoupe market.

Price the GS closer to a CLS/6 GC/A7, offer class leading dynamics and power and LC level styling, work out ways to cut down on material costs by offering cheaper construction compared to the LC but somehow have almost the same levels of perceived build quality and expensiveness especially for the interior, rebrand the GS as a more affordable 4 door GC version of the LC, stick in the 3.5L 415hp TT LS engine as the base engine and watch the GS blow away the 6 series/CLS/A7 in terms of sales.
Even by some miracle if what you say happens and all the stars align = GS becomes a GranCoupe with the new V6TT, at most it will sell 1,000 units per month.
GranCoupes dont appeal to families which most midsize sedans are purchased by.
Also most GranCoupe buyers are more attached to looks and brand appeal than the typical midsize sedan buyer; this puts GS to a clear disadvantage.

Its crazy to me that Hyundai who 10 years ago wasnt even in the segment was able to produce a midsize sedan in the Genesis G80 that is superior to the GS in almost everyway and costs way less. The sales #s are good also.
You don't see them rebadging a Sonata.....
Old 08-09-17, 06:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The ES/GS conundrum :

The solution :

post of the day.

es outsold gs 10:1 last month.

Quick Reply: Next Gen Lexus ES Spy shots !