Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Friend's new RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 08:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Let's use food then. If somebody said that the senator and his wife had dinner at Mortons last night, and that they were surprised that she would eat a steak and not Vietnamese food since she's Vietnamese. That's a racist statement, and it's the exact same statement Mike made.

Mentioning of her race isn't the issue, it's the insinuation or expectation that she would want to buy a Korean car because she's Korean.

Now I'm not saying Mike is a racist, I highly doubt he is. Most racism though is casual, unthinking, and unintentional. Doesn't make it less wrong.

Just in the future, when commenting about people's preferences don't assume they prefer certain things because of their race. Treat people as people, not as some preconceived notion you have about them as an example of their race. It takes some effort to do that really for everybody.
In the case of the senator, he fought for this country, earned the medals I listed, and is open that he was and is interested in Vietnamese culture (he's fluent in the language and was not before going to war). I bet he drives an American car, despite having a family that has a strong Vietnamese culture. Making this assumption is based on the fact that many vets prefer US made cars, not his personal and cultural interest, nor his race, nor his wife's or children.

edit guess what? I'm wrong. I googled and the first pic that came back shows him getting into a Volvo wagon. Point is, my assumption was based on his military service, not his race....and now that I think of it, our friend the airforce pilot/doctor has two Volvos, maybe Volvo is the car of choice today....

edit 2 I just reread the quote, maybe some others should too. It was the friend who basically made the statement about the car choice and wife's preference, not Mike.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 07-31-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You miss my point entirely.
Old 07-31-17, 09:10 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think it was racist one bit!

I think Mike may have casually shared part of the story about his discussions among his friends and himself and it came across "part-way."

Maybe, just maybe, prior his wife may have said, jokingly or not agmonst the three of them, "I'm absolutely getting the new Kia, etc. etc. Or i'll keep to my roots and support the Korean vehicles, etc." Who knows? And that's how it may have been, UNTIL she saw and feel in love with the White Pearl RX350. If true, then Mike is simply sharing that new found excitement of a new Lexus customer-fan.

Maybe it was that total 180 change of heart and just too much excitement from Mike about his friend's wife falling in love with the White Pearl RX350 and the fact his new car will be built tomorrow?

From what I know about Mike, he is totally-excitingly-passionate about Cars, Cars, Talking about cars and helping people to buy cars.

Also, when you get to know someone you get a good sense of whether there's any hint of an intended undertone of hateful comment(s).

If anything, Mike is guilty of rambling on too much and I do hope no one's feeling were hurt by this thread.

I just hope this thread does not turn his friend off from joining CL now?..

Mike, can you get your friend to send you some decent real pics of the new RX350 so you can share the real thing with the forum.
Old 07-31-17, 09:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Uh...anyway...

I look forward to hearing how your friend likes the new RX. We had a '13 and loved it. I had a new one as a loaner when my GS was in for service and I felt like the way it drove and the interior were massive improvements over our '13. I'm still on the fence over the styling, though I saw a Nebula Gray F Sport yesterday and it looked pretty nice.
Old 07-31-17, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469

I think Mike may have casually shared part of the story about his discussions among his friends and himself and it came across "part-way."
I think that is entirely plausible.
Old 07-31-17, 09:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

....I just hope this thread does not turn his friend off from joining CL now?..

I agree, when one really gets down to it, literally, as opposed to what was inferred, the quote itself, was not in any way. It was retelling what the purchaser stated, that was the context.

Anyway, how embarrassing if the purchaser did join and reads all of this....why not give people the benefit of the doubt before responding in this manner.
Old 07-31-17, 11:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Well to detract from the topic a little, I want say the new lexus with the spindle grill makes the car look more masculine and edgier.
The old RX was too jellybean-styled, round and soft. I was never into the RX until now that the style is much more masculine. I got the little brother, NX, however because it's perfect for our family size and need for zipping around town.

And congratulations to your friend on their new RX.
Old 07-31-17, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Congrats on the purchase for your friend, but does this part really have anything to do with the story? I find this borderline racist. Does everyone from Korea need to prefer and only consider Korean products? I'm from Korea, and while I absolutely think they're making much improved products, I don't own one.
Had nothing to do with race. I've known her for years. She's owned vehicles with nameplates from several different countries....now Japan.

From what I know about Mike, he is totally-excitingly-passionate about Cars, Cars, Talking about cars and helping people to buy cars.
Thanks. Look at my avatar and signature. That tells the story.

If anything, Mike is guilty of rambling on too much and I do hope no one's feeling were hurt by this thread.
Yeah.....I didn't get 64,000 posts overnight. You're right....I sometimes DO get a little long-winded, but that's just my nature, especially when talking about vehicles. Part of it comes from the type of work I used to do, of critical importance to flight procedures, landings, and charting. It HAD to be right..and thorough. If it wasn't, people could get hurt or killed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-17 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 05:25 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm probably wading into shark-infested waters with this so here goes: there's a small minority of older Koreans (not Korean-Americans) who won't buy Japanese cars because of Japan's colonial occupation of Korea. They'd rather buy Korean or European cars. It's the same with some Chinese in northeast China, again because of Japan's wartime history.

As for me, my cultural background is from an area that was under European and Japanese colonial rule. I've got no beef with either, I just want a reliable car that looks good. To forget the past is to repeat the same mistakes; forgiving the past means moving on towards a better, more inclusive future.

Old 07-31-17, 05:45 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how anything OP stated is racist. It does sound odd, but OP clearly has no malice in his heart.

Accusing people of racism has become an epidemic in this country.
Old 07-31-17, 06:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
I'm probably wading into shark-infested waters with this so here goes: there's a small minority of older Koreans (not Korean-Americans) who won't buy Japanese cars because of Japan's colonial occupation of Korea. They'd rather buy Korean or European cars. It's the same with some Chinese in northeast China, again because of Japan's wartime history.

As for me, my cultural background is from an area that was under European and Japanese colonial rule. I've got no beef with either, I just want a reliable car that looks good. To forget the past is to repeat the same mistakes; forgiving the past means moving on towards a better, more inclusive future.

I actually remember a friend's grandfather in his oldsmobile, and it had a bumper sticker, "Japan is #1 Liar." They were from Taiwan. As a young kid I had no idea what that meant. I do today. I think the 3 losers of wwII build the world's best cars today. There is a reason, and it had nothing to do with ethnicity, it's circumstance. Imho it gets old when people feel the need to see into everything and stir up controversy. All over a rx350 purchase. We have in laws from Munich. A younger cousin said I dunno how long we have to be made to feel this way, I wasnt even born yet. Someone yelled let's just say not nice things, at him while he was a tourist in Turkey.
Old 07-31-17, 07:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Uh...anyway...

I look forward to hearing how your friend likes the new RX. We had a '13 and loved it. I had a new one as a loaner when my GS was in for service and I felt like the way it drove and the interior were massive improvements over our '13. I'm still on the fence over the styling, though I saw a Nebula Gray F Sport yesterday and it looked pretty nice.
From certain angles (rear three-quarter) and in certain darker colours, like the Nebula Gray, I agree that the new RX looks good.
Old 07-31-17, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I don't see how anything OP stated is racist. It does sound odd, but OP clearly has no malice in his heart.
Never did....never will. I talk cars.

Accusing people of racism has become an epidemic in this country.
+1
Old 07-31-17, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think the 3 losers of wwII build the world's best cars today.
In terms of what you get for your money though, the Koreans are really designing a lot of excellent vehicles now. The main reason (besides previous exceptionally good service at the GM dealership) I chose a Lacrosse over the Kia Cadenza or Genesis G80 was that I thought the Lacrosse, with 18" ires, rode more comfortably. But, mechanically, the hardware used on the Korean vehicles seemed better and more solid....they are now built like a Swiss watch.
Old 07-31-17, 08:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Uh...anyway...

I am wondering how the friend with the new RX finds the new remote touch, especially coming from a Highlander.

As for the RX, the styling has really grown on me a lot. Still can't get over remote touch. But the rest of it works. I like how they have brought back AVS on some trim levels.

Quick Reply: My Friend's new RX350