Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will wagons ever be cool again in america?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 05:16 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Do they really sell ?

cuz honestly they're pretty frumpy looking.
we have different tastes though.

I think a good reason wagons never sold well in america was that they were usually damn ugly like a hearse and didn't look cool enough.
People wanted space? wagons had that. But people skipped over them for Navigators and Exploders.

Hopefully these premium brands change that perception.
they do really sell, especially in the pacific northwest, the upper midwest, and new england. i'm sure you can imagine why.
Old 07-27-17, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'll give you the Outback MMarshall, but if you say Forester then you might as well include every CUV on the market.
I understand what you are saying, but the Forester, with its super-conservative squared-off styling and large square windows (for easy visibility) is probably more of a traditional wagon than its CUV competition, which includes the likes of the RAV-4, CR-V, Outlander, CX-5, Escape, etc.... Those competing vehicles are certainly in the same class, but not as traditional-wagon-styled as the Forester.
Old 07-27-17, 05:36 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbalance
Wagons sold pretty good until '83 when the carvan was introduced, it has been down hill ever since
+1. The Chrysler mini van changed it all. Then once suv's came in a variety of sizes, they have taken over.
Old 07-27-17, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Wagons sold pretty good until '83 when the carvan was introduced, it has been down hill ever since
yup, and like coleroad said, the suv, starting with the explorer, pretty much finished off the limited utility of a station wagon.

and marshall, the forester may be 'squared off' but that just makes it an ugly cuv, not a station wagon.
Old 07-27-17, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, and like coleroad said, the suv, starting with the explorer, pretty much finished off the limited utility of a station wagon.
Well, SUVs, wth their raised ground-clearance and AWD, are more flexible in bad weather, but, except for the giant SUVs of the Suburban/Expedition-EL class, minivans are still the King of the people-movers.

and marshall, the forester may be 'squared off' but that just makes it an ugly cuv, not a station wagon.
Well, I'll respect your opinion, but if you look at the Forester's platform, it's an AWD Impreza chassis/drivetrain with a classic two-box wagon body on it....just as the Outback is a Legacy Wagon on a raised-suspension
(the Legacy Wagon is no longer sold in the U.S.).

I owned an Outback for six years (as you know)...and I can tell you, from my own experience, that it's the King of the snow-cars. That's why it's the official vehicle of the U.S. Olympic Ski Team.

And, the box-styling that you call "ugly" on the Forester adds greatly to its utility, space-efficiency, room for tall persons, and outward visibility.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-17 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 12:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Goodness... That Jag and the Panamera wagon all look like sex on wheels. Seriously, those are beautiful, sleek yet very practical cars. The Cayenne and F-Pace look like porky dumplings in comparison.

There's only one SUV that I'd consider over all these wagons: the Alfa Stelvio. I saw a fleet of 'em roaring up a mountain road, probably on a test drive event, and they looked sensational.
Old 07-28-17, 12:35 AM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

seriously, ain't your mom's station wagon. Gonna take a long time for this slickness to catch on.

Will the wood trim on the side of the car ever be cool again? I wondered why those aren't popular anymore.
Old 07-28-17, 02:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

probably not
o
If automakers offered AWD on smaller cars with a hatch, like the Corolla IM, or a Camry wagon with AWD you would see more wagons. To get AWD and hatch capability, you have to step up to a CUV. That was not always the case as for example Toyota was offering AWD Camry wagons in the past, Matrix AWD hatches, as well as the Venzas. I believe a new Buick wagon is coming.
Old 07-28-17, 02:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 583 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, SUVs, wth their raised ground-clearance and AWD, are more flexible in bad weather, but, except for the giant SUVs of the Suburban/Expedition-EL class, minivans are still the King of the people-movers.

Well, I'll respect your opinion, but if you look at the Forester's platform, it's an AWD Impreza chassis/drivetrain with a classic two-box wagon body on it....just as the Outback is a Legacy Wagon on a raised-suspension
(the Legacy Wagon is no longer sold in the U.S.).

I owned an Outback for six years (as you know)...and I can tell you, from my own experience, that it's the King of the snow-cars. That's why it's the official vehicle of the U.S. Olympic Ski Team.

And, the box-styling that you call "ugly" on the Forester adds greatly to its utility, space-efficiency, room for tall persons, and outward visibility.
The Rav4 is based on the same platform as the Corolla and Prius and the CR-V uses the same platform as the Civic. Platform sharing with a car doesn't make it a wagon. If we're using two box + platform sharing as the criteria for a wagon, the Highlander, the RX, the Pilot and basically any crossover SUV will all be considered wagons.
Old 07-28-17, 03:27 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, I'd say a wagon has to use sedan underpinnings and a similar body, although the suspension can have more ground clearance. All wagons share the same seat height as their sedan cousins, whereas crossovers and SUVs (even those based on the same sedan platform) have higher seat heights, more upright driving positions and overall taller bodies.

Anyway, going off topic a bit but the Bollinger B1 electric Jeep looks fantastic. It's got more ground clearance than most people need, a crazy powerful Tesla-style drivetrain and enough cargo space to carry some sheep in the back.
Old 07-28-17, 04:10 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Use to own this beautiful wagon, just like this one, 1980 Dodge Aspen
vinyl seats, we had 3 car seats across the back and one in the middle on the bench seat
Attached Thumbnails Will wagons ever be cool again in america?-image.jpeg  
Old 07-28-17, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
The Rav4 is based on the same platform as the Corolla and Prius and the CR-V uses the same platform as the Civic. Platform sharing with a car doesn't make it a wagon. If we're using two box + platform sharing as the criteria for a wagon, the Highlander, the RX, the Pilot and basically any crossover SUV will all be considered wagons.

Well, you've hit on one of the more difficult things in the auto industry to determine....just exactly where to draw the line between an SUV, crossover, and wagon. As I see it, though (and a number of product analysts do as well, including Consumer Reports), the Forester and Outback are somewhat closer to their basic sedan-platform underpinnings (Impreza and Legacy) than the Toyota and Honda SUVs/CUVs are to their Corolla/Camry and Civic/Accord underpinnings.
Old 07-28-17, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Get this....Lee Iacocca and Hal Sperlich, who were at Ford at the time, actually wanted to do a minivan back in the 1970s. Iacocca, of course, had been the driving force behind the hugely successful Mustang in the 1960s. Later, after Henry Ford II, in his well-known arrogance and stubbornness, had fired both of them, they wound up together again over at Chrysler, out of King Henry's reach. There, of course, they were able to develop the Caravan/Voyager minivan and actually bring it to market. The rest, like the Mustang, is history.
Old 07-28-17, 07:39 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Jaguar looks amazing - it's just a shame that the XF doesn't offer more engine options, especially since it is a smaller, lighter platform than the E-Class and so a performance variant would have certain advantages over the AMG.

As far as wagons generally - I'm surprised no has mentioned the big elephant in the room, which is CAFE standards and gas guzzler tax. As we know, many CUVs/SUVs/crossovers on truck/light truck platforms have the exact same footprint and cargo area as station wagons classified as passenger cars, but the light/trucks are exempt from gas guzzler tax - implicitly making the respective station wagons less competitive. It won't account for all the "cool" factor, but if American companies aren't developing and marketing station wagons and foreign companies aren't marketing station wagons and bringing them to the US, there's necessarily going to be drop in interest from consumers.
Old 07-28-17, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you've hit on one of the more difficult things in the auto industry to determine....just exactly where to draw the line between an SUV, crossover, and wagon. As I see it, though (and a number of product analysts do as well, including Consumer Reports), the Forester and Outback are somewhat closer to their basic sedan-platform underpinnings (Impreza and Legacy) than the Toyota and Honda SUVs/CUVs are to their Corolla/Camry and Civic/Accord underpinnings.
nothing difficult at all, it's not about the platform, it's about the ground clearance and body shape. wagons are sedans (at sedan height) with a rear expanded (non-coupe-like) hatch.
cuv's/suv's have much heigher ground clearance typically, and a much more upright interior and car space, regardless of what platform they're on.
a more gray area is what bmw has done with their successful gran coupes and coupe-like x models like x6 which are basically cuv's/suv's with a more coupe like back hatch.
a friend just got rid of (surprise) and unreliable but sexy jag coupe (xk-f i think) and got a bmw x6

Quick Reply: Will wagons ever be cool again in america?