Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking to buy a new 4 door RWD car that's DIY friendly Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 09:01 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to buy a new 4 door RWD car that's DIY friendly Suggestions?

I'm looking to buy a new sedan that has a RWD configuration. It has to be reliable and DIY friendly.

I have a Lexus that I do all the repairs myself. After being a long time hardcore Lexus fan, it died down on me slowly year after year after all their cars have that new ugly grille. So therefore, I'm shopping another brand.

I was looking at Acura, but none of their models offer RWD.

What are other car brands and models that offer a sedan with RWD configuration? No German cars please, they are so full of parts and electronics that break easily (aside from Porsche's Panamera, but that car looks bulky from the back).
Old 07-24-17, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
I'm looking to buy a new sedan that has a RWD configuration. It has to be reliable and DIY friendly.

I have a Lexus that I do all the repairs myself. After being a long time hardcore Lexus fan, it died down on me slowly year after year after all their cars have that new ugly grille. So therefore, I'm shopping another brand.

I was looking at Acura, but none of their models offer RWD.

What are other car brands and models that offer a sedan with RWD configuration? No German cars please, they are so full of parts and electronics that break easily (aside from Porsche's Panamera, but that car looks bulky from the back).
Take a look at the Chevy SS. RWD, reliable Australian (Holden) build-quality, plenty of power. Not as powerful as the SRT Dodge/Chrysler sedans, or as brightly-painted, but IMO better-built. Might have to go to a larger Chevy shop to find one, though......only a limited number are built.
Old 07-24-17, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Today's new cars aren't really meant to be a DIY thing. That comes after years of ownership, where things slowly start failing and need fixing. If you want to tinker, maybe you mean "modding?" If that's the case, just about any new car can be modded. Just be prepared to risk losing your warranty and diminish resale value. If reliability is your thing, stick with the asian brands. From what I gather, you might be better off with a used car. One that can be fixed up a bit or rehabbed. An older Lexus would be ideal, as they are reliable, RWD, and easy to find.
Old 07-25-17, 03:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Take a look at the Chevy SS. RWD, reliable Australian (Holden) build-quality, plenty of power. Not as powerful as the SRT Dodge/Chrysler sedans, or as brightly-painted, but IMO better-built. Might have to go to a larger Chevy shop to find one, though......only a limited number are built.
someone purchased a new one at my office....very nice car, inside and out...and it sounds great too.
Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy a new 4 door RWD car that's DIY friendly Suggestions?-img_0003.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 07-25-17 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 04:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Dodge Charger, Cadillac ATS/CTS/CT6, Infiniti Q50/70, Genesis.

All the above cars are actually LESS reliable than some of the Germans imo.

F30 335/340i are pretty reliable and you can get warranty for piece of mind.
Old 07-25-17, 05:21 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

I would suggest the Infiniti q50. It's great looking and seemingly reliable. I'm sure some of the q50s parts are shared by its more pedestrian parent, Nissan.

I would also suggest the Volvo s90. I know, I know -- the engine in the s90 is turbocharged and supercharged but that just makes something that pops up the more challenging (read: fun) to fix. The s90 is also super beautiful inside and out.

edit: the s90 comes in an awd configuration which is just as great as rwd!

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-25-17 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 05:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Dodge Charger, Cadillac ATS/CTS/CT6, Infiniti Q50/70, Genesis.

All the above cars are actually LESS reliable than some of the Germans imo.

F30 335/340i are pretty reliable and you can get warranty for piece of mind.
Are the 335 and 340 two different motors, namely the N55 and B58? There's a lot of support for the N54 and N55's on the BMW forums, easy to get fair deals on OE and OEM parts. Some of the components do break sooner than one would think, but all the info is out there on how to fix. Heck I redid my ABS/DSC pump myself which would have been $4,200 at the dealership, thanks to the tons of info out there. Pretty sure the N54 can put out 340 HP at the wheels (implies maybe 385 HP at the crank), with a $500 tune (not for me though)....
Old 07-25-17, 06:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Yes the motors are very different.

335i = N54, or newer N55
340i = B58

N54 had fuel pump issues which BMW extended the warranty for I believe.
N55 is very reliable and I have not had any issue with mine in my 535i.

Just to add the M2 still uses the N55 engine while the M240i went to B58.

BMW inline 6s are all pretty bulletproof, the V8 (N63) i would stay away from.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-25-17 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

someone purchased a new one at my office....very nice car, inside and out...and it sounds great too.
My neighbor bought one of these a few months ago, black/black. Dealer and GM were offering BIG discounts. I agree, nice car and it does sound great. He wanted to get one before they go away.
Old 07-25-17, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
I would suggest the Infiniti q50. It's great looking and seemingly reliable. I'm sure some of the q50s parts are shared by its more pedestrian parent, Nissan.
The Q50 is a nice car, but I'd avoid the all-electronic Direct-Adaptive-Steering option. It supposedly has a mechanical-linkage back-up for an emergency, in case the electronics fail, but I'm not sure I'd trust it....too risky. When I did my Q50 review and test-drive several years ago, I picked a conventional-steer sample, without that option.
Old 07-25-17, 07:24 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi

I would also suggest the Volvo s90. I know, I know -- the engine in the s90 is turbocharged and supercharged but that just makes something that pops up the more challenging (read: fun) to fix. The s90 is also super beautiful inside and out.

edit: the s90 comes in an awd configuration which is just as great as rwd!
Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Q50 is a nice car, but I'd avoid the all-electronic Direct-Adaptive-Steering option. It supposedly has a mechanical-linkage back-up for an emergency, in case the electronics fail, but I'm not sure I'd trust it....too risky. When I did my Q50 review and test-drive several years ago, I picked a conventional-steer sample, without that option.
I agree. I know that we are allowed a glimpse into the future with the direct adaptive steering but I'm not willing to test such nascent technology in a real world environment. It's too scary to think about what could potentially go wrong.
Old 07-25-17, 07:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

As an engineer working in aerospace, we do things with fly-by-wire that have much higher stakes than steer-by-wire. I would avoid DAS because I don't like the feel of it, not because of a perceived safety risk. There is a back-up system in place, and I haven't read of any DAS failures over the past 4 years or so that it's been out. Electronics, when done correctly, can be very reliable.
Old 07-25-17, 07:46 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JDR76
As an engineer working in aerospace, we do things with fly-by-wire that have much higher stakes than steer-by-wire. I would avoid DAS because I don't like the feel of it, not because of a perceived safety risk. There is a back-up system in place, and I haven't read of any DAS failures over the past 4 years or so that it's been out. Electronics, when done correctly, can be very reliable.
This. 10 Char
Old 07-25-17, 08:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Yes the motors are very different.

335i = N54, or newer N55
340i = B58

N54 had fuel pump issues which BMW extended the warranty for I believe.
N55 is very reliable and I have not had any issue with mine in my 535i.

Just to add the M2 still uses the N55 engine while the M240i went to B58.

BMW inline 6s are all pretty bulletproof, the V8 (N63) i would stay away from.
I think what maybe nobody cares about anymore (I'm sure we do) is that the inline 6 is balanced. Look at a tractor pulling a 53' trailer, or a ram 2500 turbo diesel, and what do they have? an inline 6. I'm waiting for the day that BMW announces the new "V6!" lol because nobody really knows/cares anymore.

Anyhow, my only repair in 10 years that cost more than $200 is the ABS pump, and yes, it would have been $4,200 at the dealer, but DIY is around $250 if you have all the tools and software. I did not, so my cost was just under $500. This is not particular to the N54/55, it's the E9x 3 series, meaning 328's as well. Not sure about the 128/135, probably.

Although the M2 is not a "real M" if you get crazy about M history/heritage (C430? Do you even AMG, bro? that was a funny shirt), it kind of is. Sales tells the real story. Ask my cousin's wife what she thinks about the V8, she had a CPO X5 4.8, which was always back at the dealer and it got old very fast (car was 3 y.o.).....

Problem with today's cars is the steering, it's just so sub par imho. I guess I'm stubborn and refuse to say well that's all we got (buddy just texted me how awful it is on the brand new A4 loaner he picked up today, and he's comparing it to his wife's Q5)...
Old 07-25-17, 11:57 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Mercedes is actually going back to inline 6s.

Toyota made one of the best ever in the 2JZ.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a new 4 door RWD car that's DIY friendly Suggestions?