Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS,Impala, Sonic at risk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 08:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, how about this.....I had two Buicks, in college, before I was 20, and loved both of them....one of them a big, soft, comfortable Electra 225 flagship (used...couldn't afford a new one). I would have stayed with the nameplate back then, except that Buick (and GM) quality tanked during the 1970s, and the gas-crunches and increasing traffic-congestion of that decade forced many people into smaller cars......including me. Now, 40 years later, Buick is finally building reliable cars again.

Actual buyer-data, however, shows the Encore to clearly appeal more to younger persons, and the Lacrosse to older persons...though I'm one of the exceptions...I always liked big Buicks, even in my youth.

..........Perhaps for the same reason that Lexus puts Michelins on virtually all of the ES350s I've seen, regardless of cost.
i have no idea why you keep mentioning that you loved Buick land yachts when you were a young man/ teenager. You were clearly the exception and not the norm. Bringing this point up repeatedly justifies absolutely nothing. It's akin to me proclaiming that I liked prunes as a toddler and therefore there must be a large number of toddlers who enjoy prunes. The fallacy is clear; there is a lack of cohesion in your rationale.
Old 07-29-17, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I also used to think treadwear was everything. But lately that has not been my experience.
One must keep in mind that, while modern tire and rubber-compound technology has greatly reduced the compromises necessary with different types of tires, there still is no such thing as a one-tire-does-all. In general, all else equal, a tire with a hard tread compound, with low-rolling-resistence, will last a long time (especially with proper alignment and rotation), have less road-noise, and deliver better gas mileage. But it will also have less traction (especially in the wet), longer braking distances, and less-precise handling/steering-response. That's why you often see low-rolling-resistance tires on small hybrids, where gas mileage is of more concern than handling or performance.
Old 07-29-17, 09:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Like I said with out going on an educational sidenote, I used to be a big fan of Michelin, our 4Runner, LX450 and Matrix all have Michelins, but my new Corolla has Good Years. I am now a big fan of Good Year.
Old 07-29-17, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i have no idea why you keep mentioning that you loved Buick land yachts when you were a young man/ teenager. You were clearly the exception and not the norm. Bringing this point up repeatedly justifies absolutely nothing. It's akin to me proclaiming that I liked prunes as a toddler and therefore there must be a large number of toddlers who enjoy prunes. The fallacy is clear; there is a lack of cohesion in your rationale.
Buick for the longest time has been a brand that caters to old folks. Not sure the relevance of the older cars. Usually the price of a Buick was higher than what most people could afford. That said, cars like the Encore and Cascada very likely have a younger buyer than the traditional age most people who are getting into a Buick. The other Buick models I can think of are the Grand National and Rivera which very likely appealed to a younger buyer. But times were different back than. The market share of GM was so enormous tbat they truly catered to all segments across all ages. I must say, those late 90s Roadmasters would be cool to ride around in again. But times have changed.
Old 07-29-17, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've mentioned it several times because people keep bringing up the same lame arguments, over and over, about Buicks being Grandpa-only cars. Though I myself, yes, was one of the exceptions, I could also cite a number of others, though (and not to mention Tiger Woods and Shaq O'neal LOL)....but I don't have time to write a whole book on every post I reply to.

(Oh.....and BTW......Gerber and other baby-food companies make a line of prune-juices for infants LOL)

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-29-17, 09:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

One of the criteria for the success of a brand or model is new car sales. A fondness for used cars back in the day doesn't mean success some 40-50 years later. I'm older than most here and enjoy seeing cars from my younger days, but to me a totally different subject when discussing new cars.
Old 07-29-17, 09:34 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I've mentioned it several times because people keep bringing up the same lame arguments, over and over, about Buicks being Grandpa-only cars. Though I myself, yes, was one of the exceptions, I could also cite a number of others, though (and not to mention Tiger Woods himself LOL)....but I don't have time to write a whole book on every post I reply to.
The problem, though, is that Buick in the United States is a marque for older people. They have had some success lowering the mean age of the Buick buyer, but by and large it is still a grandpa car.
Old 07-29-17, 09:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem, though, is that Buick in the United States is a marque for older people. They have had some success lowering the mean age of the Buick buyer, but by and large it is still a grandpa car.
Yes it is.
Old 07-29-17, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

True. For the most part (not totally), I think we can agree on that. But Lacrosse sales (a car often bought by older folks) are done so much this year that it may really skew the average-figures when we see them at the end of 2017. We'll just have to wait and see on that one....we won't settle that here.

BTW, did you get the Gerber comment?.........I thought that was funny.
Old 07-29-17, 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
One of the criteria for the success of a brand or model is new car sales. A fondness for used cars back in the day doesn't mean success some 40-50 years later. I'm older than most here and enjoy seeing cars from my younger days, but to me a totally different subject when discussing new cars.
Fair points. But Buick has increased their sales for I think 7 straight years. So the older folks are still buying them and new folks are getting in them too. My neighbour is 84 and just traded his Varano in for a brand new Regal Turbo.
Old 07-29-17, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fair points. But Buick has increased their sales for I think 7 straight years. So the older folks are still buying them and new folks are getting in them too. My neighbour is 84 and just traded his Varano in for a brand new Regal Turbo.

84 in a Verano? Doesn't make me feel so old LOL.

Congratulations to your neighbor. Is he (or she) aware that an all-new Regal (still Opel-based) is coming in a few months? Probably got a better price, though, on the current one...and a higher trade-in on his old car, as it is still a few months newer.

Personally, I would have waited for the new Regal's V6 rather than go with a turbo four, but I respect your neighbor's decision......perhaps the engine was not an important factor in the purchase.
Old 07-29-17, 10:25 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

True. For the most part (not totally), I think we can agree on that. But Lacrosse sales (a car often bought by older folks) are done so much this year that it may really skew the average-figures when we see them at the end of 2017. We'll just have to wait and see on that one....we won't settle that here.

BTW, did you get the Gerber comment?.........I thought that was funny.
Yes, I did! You brought some comedic relief! Lol
Old 07-29-17, 12:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But Buick has increased their sales for I think 7 straight years. .
China has been a big part of that, but yes, growth in the U.S. market has also been significant.
Old 07-29-17, 12:54 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Strangely enough, the first GM brand was Buick. William Durant who founded GM was the owner of Buick at the time. The giant GM as most of us remember it dates back to about 1930 when Alfred Sloan added Chevrolet to the GM stable. Sloan's "Ladder of Success" was key to GM's growth. His concept was that Chevrolet was the entry point, then with added success the buyer would progress to Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, then finally Cadillac without ever leaving the GM family. GM somehow lost their way in the '60s with the idea that each brand should be a full line. Sloan must have turned over in his grave when Cadillac built the Cimmaron. Did GM have too many car lines? I think not, but each car line had too many overlapping models. Cadillac lost its luster as the Standard of the World, as did their formerly premium with rebadged compact Chevrolets posing as Oldsmobiles and Buicks. A Cadillac specific CT5 replacing 3 overlapping models seems like a good move to me. Dropping the full size Impala at Chevy to concentrate on smaller, cheaper, more economical models also seems to be in the right direction. I'm not sure where Buick goes, maybe just crossovers.
Steve
Old 07-29-17, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Strangely enough, the first GM brand was Buick. William Durant who founded GM was the owner of Buick at the time.
The nameplate, though, traces to David Dunbar Buick, a Scottish-born American inventor, who founded the Buick Motor Company in 1903. He left in 1906 when Billy Durant came along and made it the cornerstone of what was to become GM. At one time, Walter Chrysler worked at Buick before he left to start his own firm.

GM somehow lost their way in the '60s with the idea that each brand should be a full line.
Well, market-pressures forced that. With the exception of the 50s' vintage Nash/Metropolitan, Crosby, and Rambler, the 60s were the decade that changed customer-perception, and compact and mid-size cars became firmly established in the American market. You pretty much had to have three sizes (compact/intermediate/full-size) if you wanted to compete. By the end of the decade, pressure was mounting for even smaller, sub-compacts...as witnessed with the disastrous Chevy Vega and Ford Pinto.