Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you won the lottery today...

Old 02-06-17, 07:14 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would go more classic look
Old 02-06-17, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My answer won't be popular, but I think there is already enough tension between the haves/have nots to warrant not buying an exotic car with lottery winnings. Unless I live in some private compound or on a private island, no thanks. Hell, I already have riced-out old Honda Civics trying to cut me off in my lowly A4. An S-Class would probably be my choice, but I wouldn't really need it because I would use the money to constantly travel around the world and experience new things and different cultures. Yes, I'm an enthusiast, but a car can only bring you so much satisfaction.
the civic tried to cut you off coz' you are driving an a4. depending on the car you drive, you attract different kind of flies. of all the cars i have owned, i got mostly challenged when i was in my gs400. when i had my m3, actually it was a much more peaceful time, i only recalled being challenged by isf and gtr. and in my nsx, actually people tend to look at my car rather than challenging me. and my friends with exotics, they also comment that when they are in their exotics it's usually pretty peaceful, by comparison they get taunted a lot more in their AMGs or Ms.
Old 02-07-17, 05:17 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Exotics provide inspiration and mostly joy not hate or jealousy imo, esp for kids.
Also in certain places they are as common as a civic.

They are really a work of art that captures your imagination.
Old 02-07-17, 05:42 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hahaha with the warm welcome you guys laid out for him?

I'd do an LF-A for sure and then an IS-F with a proper modification: adding a third pedal.

Enjoy your V8's while you can, friends.

And if I didn't have a turbo 2JZ already, I would have added a bone stock MKIV Supra TT.
Old 02-07-17, 08:02 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I would buy the following:

-2017 LS460L with a twin turbo
-2017 Porsche 911 GT3
-2002 Toyota Supra TT
-2009 Toyota Crown Athlete
-2018 Lexus LC500
-2000 2JZ-GTE/V161 Lexus SC300
-2006 Lexus LS430 with a procharged LS3 swap
-2009 Cadillac XLR-V
-1990 Mercedes 560SEL

Nothing too crazy to be honest. Everything would be heavily modified engine wise except the Mercedes. I would have a warehouse full of high end wheels for each car too.
Old 02-07-17, 06:30 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the civic tried to cut you off coz' you are driving an a4. depending on the car you drive, you attract different kind of flies. of all the cars i have owned, i got mostly challenged when i was in my gs400. when i had my m3, actually it was a much more peaceful time, i only recalled being challenged by isf and gtr. and in my nsx, actually people tend to look at my car rather than challenging me. and my friends with exotics, they also comment that when they are in their exotics it's usually pretty peaceful, by comparison they get taunted a lot more in their AMGs or Ms.
I buy your logic to some extent, but first... the Civic wasn't trying to race me. He just cut in front of me and slowed down. Second, I also got a lot of hate when I owned an SC430, and that was no sports car to be sure. I remember a guy at a gas station purposely flinging water from a Squeegee all over it. Same type of thing when I owned an A6 4.2.

I wasn't referring to people trying to race me. I was referring to people doing hateful things because of a perceived disparity in wealth. I guess when you own an exotic you just reach the realm of "untouchable". As for your NSX, that is just an icon of a car. I think it is a National Treasure that no one wants to mess with.
Old 02-07-17, 08:44 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

without a doubt the McLaren F1 would have it's own special place in my hypothetical garage. the P1 is cool and all but it's all about the F1 for me...

this car could do 243 mph back in 1992! the record wasn't beaten until (i think) the Koenigsegg in 2005, but that and all successive cars have used forced induction whereas the McLaren is STILL the fastest naturally aspirated car of all time and did that using *only* 627 horsepower and has proven to be a very reliable and easy car to live with as well. it's just one of those cars that the more you read and learn about you go WOW i can't believe this thing was even built, and you can bet nothing like it will ever be built again. Here's the car, we've given you the tools, it's up to YOU to not crash and wreck it, and it will not attempt to save you whatsoever. one man and his vision to create the ultimate car, gotta love the legend Gordon Murray.

now assuming i won the mega-millions or some sort of huge jackpot and still have a bunch to spare... i'd also need:

-Supra Turbo
-Land Cruiser (a nice pristine 1997 with the diff locks)
-Mercedes E55 AMG
-Koenigsegg Agera RS
-Jaguar XJ220
-Pagani Zonda F
-Mercedes 600 (the one dictators used)
-Buick Grand National GNX
-Lexus LFA
-Porsche 959
-Dodge Spirit R/T
-Mitsubishi EVO VIII
-Mercedes SLR McLaren
-Porsche Carrera GT
-Toyota Century
-Nissan Skyline R33
-Mercedes G55 AMG
-Honda Insight 5-speed manual (gotta have something with good MPGs)
-Maybach 62S (for getting driven in)

i'm sure i could get a bunch more here but this will do for now lol, and it's implied that my LS 400 will be there too

Last edited by Stroock639; 02-08-17 at 07:25 AM. Reason: forgot the 959
Old 02-07-17, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I buy your logic to some extent, but first... the Civic wasn't trying to race me. He just cut in front of me and slowed down. Second, I also got a lot of hate when I owned an SC430, and that was no sports car to be sure. I remember a guy at a gas station purposely flinging water from a Squeegee all over it. Same type of thing when I owned an A6 4.2.

I wasn't referring to people trying to race me. I was referring to people doing hateful things because of a perceived disparity in wealth. I guess when you own an exotic you just reach the realm of "untouchable". As for your NSX, that is just an icon of a car. I think it is a National Treasure that no one wants to mess with.
i think we are talking about the same thing (or very close), it's about cars that intimate people around you to do hateful things (trying to taunt and race you is one). i think it depends on area you go to. if you drive an exotic to east LA you are probably not going to get out of there in one piece (that's an extreme i know).

but that also proves my point too. if today you win the lottery, you probably would make sure you leave in a relatively comfortable area where the general public are more or less more mature and have higher moral values. given that, driving a nicer car probably doesn't make you stand out that much to attract hate.

just the other day i was driving around newport beach and i was in awe about all the exotics i saw casually on the road. that's probably a lot of "lottery winners" in that area, but i personally wouldn't worry too much about driving an exotic there. chances are a lot of people likely don't feel too amused by these cars anyway
Old 02-07-17, 11:04 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Like some others here, I'd go with a classic I've loved since I was a kid:

Love me some 959 :9.
Old 02-08-17, 07:23 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Like some others here, I'd go with a classic I've loved since I was a kid: Love me some 959 :9.
i knew i was forgetting something lol
Old 02-08-17, 07:39 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Find a nice SC and drop a modded 2JZTT in there. Of course the body will have to be strengthened, cuz, time. And of course an LFA and the future LCF.
Old 02-09-17, 03:26 PM
ALexGirlXO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the kids are with their grandparents I'll want to be riding in a 2017 Audi R8

and

when they're with me a Porsche Cayenne GTS
Old 02-11-17, 09:53 AM
SubieChik
Lead Lap

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Audi RS7 and dump a bunch of money into it lol
Old 02-11-17, 10:11 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I struck it rich, I would have a few cars:

Japan
Lexus LFA
Lexus LC
Toyota Supra
Toyota S-FR
Subaru BRZ
Subaru Forester

Euro
Koenigsegg Agera RS
Rolls Royce Wraith
McLAREN F1 (will never be able to drive it - don't drive stick)
McLAREN P1
Jaguar XJ220 (will never be able to drive it - don't drive stick)
Bugatti Chiron

American
Corvette ZR1 (2018)
Tesla Roadster (whenever the new one comes out)

Only 1 would be my daily driver, the Forester. The rest I would spend an hour deciding what to drive during the day (during the summer, spring and fall months)

Also many of them, I would just have fun on the highway for a few hours to listen to the sound of the engine (excl. Tesla Roadster)

The insurance alone will be a pretty penny each year. Also I would need a custom-built home to store all these beauties.

Last edited by JessePS; 02-11-17 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 11:24 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yeah, probably an LFA, or maybe a 458. Heck maybe I'd buy a $30,000 Mondial and spend 80 grand on it to fix all the issues...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you won the lottery today...