Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you won the lottery today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 11:42 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't forget......bit supports the development of self-driving cars.
I do too but there are periods of time that I would love to take back control. Self-driving for long stretches of highway and for dense traffic, but all me for canyon carving.
Old 07-24-17, 09:08 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I play one dollar per day, got to be in it to win it! I would get:

Range Rover for winter
GSF daily
S63 for relaxing, dinners and weddings ect..
Lambo Murcielago - exotic
GS400 - beater
Honda Prelude - early 90s beater

my wife would get an M6
Old 07-25-17, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
clever use of the funds but I can't help but wonder how you would forgo driving for pleasure for the rest of your life. Sure you may be able to use a friends car here and there but that isn't the same for a variety of reasons.
i would derive no pleasure driving some 20 year old car i've been stuck with for the rest of my life. imagine the tech we'll have in 20 years?
Old 07-25-17, 05:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i would derive no pleasure driving some 20 year old car i've been stuck with for the rest of my life. imagine the tech we'll have in 20 years?
lol but just imagine all of the 20 year old cars you'd be able to have fun in today!
Old 07-25-17, 10:01 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Personally I really don't care much about the technology gadgets. A dozen cameras, pdc sensors, to help you park. I find them annoying, and not that useful. Lane keep assistant, really. Blind spot warning, I don't have blind spots even in my camaro with tiny windows. I adjust my mirrors probably, and my head does swivel on a thing called my neck. Pluse I found the blind spot sensors to slow if someone is coming at 10 or more mph beside you. It's kinda of like making a turn assistant because people can't seem to turn the wheel a little further so as not to cut the corner off. Making approaching cars have to stop short do as not to get hit. I don't even need Bluetooth, I don't ever myself use a cellphone in the car. Fact is I only carry a non activated phone in the car. Then if something should happen I can call 911. Forget this tech and put drivers Ed back in school so people actually learn how to drive again. If autonomous cars come out I could care less what it looks like . All it needs to do is have the space I need. I would no longer feel any real connection to the car. It's not an extension of me at that point. Sadly that's where things are headed. People are going to to forced into giving up their non autonomous cars, because the insurance will be to astronomical on them.

Last edited by Coleroad; 07-25-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-25-17, 11:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Good for you, but most people aren't that way. Lots of tech in new cars I love. Some I don't
Old 07-25-17, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

..........Even as a former Miata owner? That's one of the beauties of the Miata....simple, pure driving fun, without a bunch of electronics running the car for you.

Even though the Miata is, in many ways, not the car for me, and the complete opposite of the car I'm getting as a DD (the Lacrosse is basically a soundproofed, cushy, rolling cocoon, whereas the Miata is an extension of one's legs/arms and tactile-senses), I still have an enormous amount of respect for what the Miata (and the Miata-based Fiat 124 Spyder) does, and does well....arguably better than any other car on the planet for that amount of money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-25-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
...Even as a former Miata owner? That's one of the beauties of the Miata....simple, pure driving fun, without a bunch of electronics running the car for you.
Not sure how i can be clearer, based on the question, that i have NO interest in driving ANY particular vehicle available today for the rest of my life.
Old 07-25-17, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Not sure how i can be clearer, based on the question, that i have NO interest in driving ANY particular vehicle available today for the rest of my life.
Seems pretty clear to me lol
Old 07-25-17, 08:15 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd be hung over tomorrow
Old 07-25-17, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Wth i'm going to expand the question to just what vehicle(s) would i buy if i won the lottery, without the constraint that i have to suffer driving one car for the rest if my life

If i won the lottery i'd likely have these 3 vehicles today:

s65 mercedes
gls63 mercedes
slc43 mercedes

of course all loaded
Old 07-25-17, 11:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Wth i'm going to expand the question to just what vehicle(s) would i buy if i won the lottery, without the constraint that i have to suffer driving one car for the rest if my life

If i won the lottery i'd likely have these 3 vehicles today:

s65 mercedes
gls63 mercedes
slc43 mercedes

of course all loaded
obviously with price not an issue with this thread, just curious why the SLC43 would be your choice over the SL63 and the AMG GT/GTC convertibles ?
the SLC is confining inside for someone of your height, having heard tall people complaining about the seats, and a Porsche Boxster S would be more fun to drive and looks a lot better as well ...
Old 07-26-17, 05:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I always liked this......and I wonder if it's loosely fitting with the title of the thread, I found it interesting that the former editor of C&D, who was the editor when I was a toddler lol, just so happened to have as his personal car, the same garage queen that I have, only with 2 more doors. I mean as someone who has driven cars for what 4 or 5 decades, imagine his personal car is the same as mine. I mean as an editor, maybe he still has to choose one as a personal daily driver, it's not like he would be Seinfeld or Leno....
Old 07-26-17, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Personally I really don't care much about the technology gadgets. A dozen cameras, pdc sensors, to help you park. I find them annoying, and not that useful. Lane keep assistant, really. Blind spot warning, I don't have blind spots even in my camaro with tiny windows. I adjust my mirrors probably, and my head does swivel on a thing called my neck. Pluse I found the blind spot sensors to slow if someone is coming at 10 or more mph beside you. It's kinda of like making a turn assistant because people can't seem to turn the wheel a little further so as not to cut the corner off. Making approaching cars have to stop short do as not to get hit. I don't even need Bluetooth, I don't ever myself use a cellphone in the car. Fact is I only carry a non activated phone in the car. Then if something should happen I can call 911. Forget this tech and put drivers Ed back in school so people actually learn how to drive again. If autonomous cars come out I could care less what it looks like . All it needs to do is have the space I need. I would no longer feel any real connection to the car. It's not an extension of me at that point. Sadly that's where things are headed. People are going to to forced into giving up their non autonomous cars, because the insurance will be to astronomical on them.
An excellent post.
Old 07-26-17, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK.....given that explanation, I can agree. Not sure I'd want the same car for the rest of my life either (though, for several reasons, I waited more than 40 years after leaving college for another big Buick LOL)