Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 07:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Kissing cousins....strangely, I think the styling on Avalon and Camry should of been reversed. Camry seems more sedate... :X
To me, the 2018 Camry seems more of an upmarket car than the new 2019 Avalon. The Camry's interior is so much more cohesive and premium than the Avalon's.
Old 01-16-18, 09:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

I hope Avalon sales go straight into the toilet so Toyota is forced to stop making these styling abominations.
Old 01-16-18, 09:58 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

It seems like either I have no taste or Toyota has the worst designers in the world. Each one of their cars seems to get uglier and uglier by the year. This thing looks absolutely horrible. The grills are getting more and more grotesque year by year. When will this end?

i guess it will only end when people stop buying Toyotas, but either people seem to like ugly or I am out of touch with reality.

I am am glad we have Lexus. At least one can get Toyota quality and reliability without the ugliness.
Old 01-16-18, 10:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Horrible grille aside, it has some of the coolest and sinister headlight shapes and elements. Too bad.
Old 01-16-18, 11:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I hope Avalon sales go straight into the toilet so Toyota is forced to stop making these styling abominations.
we need avalons like this back lol

with the FF layout it'll never be a true sports sedan competitor, so idk why they're going more in the sports direction with the avalon. the one pictured above is literally a couch that floats and caresses you down the road with a cushy arthritis friendly seat. toyota currently has no such offering and i personally would much rather see the avalon go back to that. the sales manager has an avalon and doesn't like it for the ride and firm seat. he even admitted to just leasing it (very good lease at the time) without really driving it too much because of the safe assumption that "well it's an avalon so it'll be comfortable right?
Old 01-17-18, 01:53 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Horizontal grill looks a lot better(relatively lol) ......
It would be even better if they just outlined the upper grille all the way around and separated it from the lower grille.
Old 01-17-18, 04:43 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Having a night to digest it, the lux model grill is not as polarizing as it was yesterday. The touring model is the most offensive and Im not sure if it can ever be accepted.
I have to agree.
Old 01-17-18, 05:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Clearly in the minority here, but I actually don't mind this and somewhat like it (especially the Limited - still undecided on the Touring). Looks a bit too much like a Maxima from the side though. I'll also respectfully disagree with some prior comments that the Avalon needs to stick to being a 60+ year old's car. I'm under 40 and have owned all of the LS series since I was 28 (400, 430, 460). How many 28 year olds do you see driving an LS??!! I see nothing wrong with Toyota making some styling changes to this car to get rid of the stigma that it's a "grandpa" or "grandma" car. Several of my buddies in my neighborhood who are all similar age are driving the largest sedans by their favorite manufacturer (7 series, Q70L, etc). I personally think Toyota is smart to attempt to re-brand the Avalon and make it attractive for 30-50 year olds. Might be a great step up for someone trading in a Corolla or Camry that can't pull the trigger or see the value in a LS.
Old 01-17-18, 06:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Clearly in the minority here, but I actually don't mind this and somewhat like it (especially the Limited - still undecided on the Touring). Looks a bit too much like a Maxima from the side though. I'll also respectfully disagree with some prior comments that the Avalon needs to stick to being a 60+ year old's car. I'm under 40 and have owned all of the LS series since I was 28 (400, 430, 460). How many 28 year olds do you see driving an LS??!! I see nothing wrong with Toyota making some styling changes to this car to get rid of the stigma that it's a "grandpa" or "grandma" car. Several of my buddies in my neighborhood who are all similar age are driving the largest sedans by their favorite manufacturer (7 series, Q70L, etc). I personally think Toyota is smart to attempt to re-brand the Avalon and make it attractive for 30-50 year olds. Might be a great step up for someone trading in a Corolla or Camry that can't pull the trigger or see the value in a LS.
Nicely said. Most of the people on this forum will never own an Avalon. This one is no different. I think they are hating for the sake of hating. I don't mind it. It is interesting to say the least.
Old 01-17-18, 07:27 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nicely said. Most of the people on this forum will never own an Avalon. This one is no different. I think they are hating for the sake of hating. I don't mind it. It is interesting to say the least.
i promise you i at least am not hating for "the sake of hating", in the year and a half i've been selling these cars i don't think i've EVER seen anyone under 40 even ask me about the avalon, and anyone who does IS usually over 60, had an avalon before or still does have their older avalon, and don't want to get rid of it since the new one doesn't ride nearly as comfortably as the older ones did

believe me i hope probably more than anyone here that the new avalon does well because i do think it's pretty sharp looking and i really love the interior, but if this has the firm seat and unimpressive ride of the current one i just don't see it doing all that well
Old 01-17-18, 07:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There could be two reasons for the reception the Avalon has received here. The styling is polarizing and not many CL members in the Avalon's age demographic (55-60 or so?).
Old 01-17-18, 08:07 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I actually like the new Avalon just wish it was AWD but then who would buy the GS
Old 01-17-18, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

Though it would have clearly stretched my budget at the time, I might have had an LS at age 28, IF the car had been on the market then....it wasn't. It wouldn't be out for another 10 years. But this idea that big, soft-riding cars are only for old folks is complete nonsense....I chuckle every time I read that (so would some of my friends from as far back as high school). The main problem with these cars (in relation to young people) is that they cost so much, not that they are too cushy in their road manners.

Back to the Avalon, I fully agree with Stroock...the softer the seats and ride, the more it will appeal to those who like the car most, young or old.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
but if this has the firm seat and unimpressive ride of the current one i just don't see it doing all that well

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-17-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 08:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There could be two reasons for the reception the Avalon has received here. The styling is polarizing and not many CL members in the Avalon's age demographic (55-60 or so?).
Styling was done on purpose. You want a reaction from people. Worse thing would no reaction such as a “meh” attitude. I do t think there are any members on her who actually have ever owned an Avalon. So a response from anyone on here (good or bad) the styling is working
Old 01-17-18, 09:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think the Avalon"s age bracket is well over 60. 55 is way too young for people to be interested in cars like the Avalon but there are a few exceptions I am sure. I am pretty young and nowhere near the age bracket but I have always been somewhat interested in a Avalon because I have always liked bigger sedans, especially ones that are nicer then standard mid sized family sedans though I can't say I ever wanted a Avalon. If it was a choice between a Avalon and Camry I would take the Avalon simply because it is nicer. I liked the Cressida when it was out though I was really young but I still saw it had a nice interior with more features then the avg Camry.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon