Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car loan stats

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 11:30 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
indeed, they are. haven't checked in a while. from my bank nfcu
I beg to differ - more folks are defaulting these days on auto loans. Article came out this week -

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-are-soaring
Old 07-19-17, 11:32 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Also you have to understand how low the default rate is on car loans, it's REALLY low.
Eh, you sure about that?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-are-soaring
Old 07-19-17, 11:33 AM
UNC1334
Driver

Sorry - didnt mean to post that twice.
Old 07-19-17, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Defaults are up yes, but they are still really low compared to other loans
Old 07-19-17, 12:06 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.......that's partly because they know that in many cases, they won't have to pay it back....or, at least, to the full amount.
as a millennial, you're absolutely wrong. we don't incur debt with the notion that we won't have to pay it back. circumstances often lead to defaulted loans, although very few millennials assume unfortunate circumstances. we want good credit, too.
Old 07-19-17, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

And actually millenials as a generation are more averse to debt than their parents generation.
Old 07-19-17, 12:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
as a millennial, you're absolutely wrong. we don't incur debt with the notion that we won't have to pay it back. circumstances often lead to defaulted loans, although very few millennials assume unfortunate circumstances. we want good credit, too.
That's what I thought, didn't want to take on debt, doesn't mean don't care about not paying back....if one thinks about the 80's excess, like the movie American Psycho, I thought milennials were the opposite, meaning didn't want to work 16 hours a day and make 250k first job, and if someone made more, then one up... or at least the priority wasn't on that....

this was the video that I was referring to, guitarist is really good (apparently he was with the band in their heyday)

Old 07-19-17, 12:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

^ what an apt song!
Old 07-19-17, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
No offense....I wasn't necessarily refering to you personally. I was responding to Jill's earlier comment about today's young people taking on debt at a huge rate. Student-loan debt is only part of it.......but the situation with the college-loan defaults so bad that the government is simply writing much of it off.
Old 07-19-17, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And actually millenials as a generation are more averse to debt than their parents generation.
With car-loan debt, yes, because they aren't buying as many new cars. But college debt, from government loans, has got a lot of kids way in over their heads. I talk to them every day when I'm swimming....a number of them work as part-time lifeguards during the summer. (And, some of the ones I know little more closely come to me with used-car questions).

Some of them are still living at home with their parents (especially with the Obamacare law that has them on their parents' health-insurance policy until age 26), but, of course, significant debt will probably come when they move out and get a place of their own....in most cases, they won't live with their parents forever.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-17 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No offense....I wasn't necessarily refering to you personally. I was responding to Jill's earlier comment about today's young people taking on debt at a huge rate. Student-loan debt is only part of it.......but the situation with the college-loan defaults so bad that the government is simply writing much of it off.
I wasn't referring to millilenials not caring about debt or trying not to pay it off. What I mean is that the under 40 has so much stacked against them. The price of houses and the price of cars and the salaries are not increasing proportionally. Add in college, credit card debt etc etc. The new generation are so far in the hole that paying things off are close to impossible for most people.
Old 07-19-17, 06:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I have VA loan on my primary home and there is no early payoff penalty, didn't have that on auto loans which were mostly through USAA.

I'm curious what types of loans have early payoff penalties and what it's based on.
Best explanation below:

Lenders charge prepayment penalties because it enables them to place the loan in a security and sell it; because another institution might buy that security, it will need assurance that the loan will be outstanding for a set period of time, which means the buyer will receive a certain yield from that security.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-19-17 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 08:51 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wasn't referring to millilenials not caring about debt or trying not to pay it off. What I mean is that the under 40 has so much stacked against them. The price of houses and the price of cars and the salaries are not increasing proportionally. Add in college, credit card debt etc etc. The new generation are so far in the hole that paying things off are close to impossible for most people.
totally agree with you....college tuition is ridiculous, most parents cannot afford, the kids are graduating with 70k of debt right out the gate plus paying rent and expenses, it's tough.
Old 07-19-17, 08:53 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had 50000 cash, I'd still borrow 50000 at 0% apr and pay it off in 10 years, if they had those terms.
I can then invest my own 50000 and get a bigger return.

i'm not rich, but I know rich people usually don't spend their own money. They spend other people's money
Old 07-19-17, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes.....I agree it's tough for some people today, just starting out, who aren't already established in life. I'm not sure I'd want to be in that position myself, as, 40+ years ago when I was starting out, jobs were much more plentiful, and you could start a career and plan on being with it for decades (like I was). Much of that has gone today, at least in the U.S., because of job-outsourcing and automation.....but to go into all the details and historical reasons why would not only be somewhat off-topic, but probably better left for the Clubhouse and Debate forums.

Quick Reply: Car loan stats