Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 09:01 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
So they got rid of the V6

The least they could do is do a Volvo and make the front overhang shorter by moving the front axle forward.
It would help with the bloated look.

Mazda6 = best in class.

This thing looks LOLawful. Jesus, who approved this sh. 60/40 weight distro. haha
It has a clunky Chevy Impala feel . Belt line is way too high.

The front quarter angle is always the worst with fastbacks.

Mazda6 is 5 years old, and still looks good from all angles.
I hope mazda doesn't fk up the next gen like honda did.

Moving the axle forward doesn't make the front overhang shorter, it just adds needless additional length to the car.
Old 07-16-17, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I really don't see where the hate comes from lol, the new Accord looks fine.

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah I don't know why they just don't make it a hatchback or sportsback. The LS 500 is the same way. They obviously like the four-door, coupe-like look, but why the half measures? Just do it!

I think the Accord would be much more appealing if it was a medium to large hatchback or sports back or four-door coupe, or whatever you want to call it.
The reason not to is noise. Hatchbacks inherently are louder than sedans, you have an opening all the way around the back of the car vs a small trunk opening that is further blocked by the rear seat and vehicle structure, sealed rear window.

The Accord is the definition of a mass market vehicle, a vehicle as you describe is a very slim niche vehicle. Having a hatchback Accord wouldn't make any sense. In fact, Honda tried that with the Crosstour. Nobody bought it.
Old 07-16-17, 06:54 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

I don't mind it as much as most others here. I find myself seeing some of the current Accords and actually liking that design quite (especially when driving behind one) a bit as they borrowed some styling cues from other cars I really like. I don't really like the side view of the rear, but that's pretty consistent with how I feel about almost all new cars coming out for 2018. This is just a design change that's here to stay. Honda builds the Accord to follow a design trend, not set one.. so the rear styling is something already prevalent on plenty of other sedans. Over time I assume my eye will get used to it and it'll grow on me. I need to see some in person though.
Old 07-16-17, 01:59 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The accord will surely sell just fine. If the 2008 camry toaster could sell in huge numbers, this will too.
After the initial shock of the robotic gape face, people will get used to it, and buy it nonetheless.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Accord is the definition of a mass market vehicle, a vehicle as you describe is a very slim niche vehicle. Having a hatchback Accord wouldn't make any sense. In fact, Honda tried that with the Crosstour. Nobody bought it.

The confounding factor was that the crosstour looked like a crossturd. That was probably the real reason no one bought it.

The question is, is the audi a7 noticeably louder than the a6 ?
A hatchback can't be louder than the bestselling SUV, right?

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Moving the axle forward doesn't make the front overhang shorter, it just adds needless additional length to the car.
how so? if you look at volvo's new car measurements, the hood length stays standard, the front wheels are moved forward, and the front doesn't have such a long chin.
Someone said this was possible because the chassis was designed around small engines.

Now that Accords only have 1.5 and 2L engines, they could have done a volvo. The thing looks front heavy and back heavy.

Last edited by pman6; 07-16-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 02:15 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how so? if you look at volvo's new car measurements, the hood length stays standard, the front wheels are moved forward, and the front doesn't have such a long chin.
Someone said this was possible because the chassis was designed around small engines.

Now that Accords only have 1.5 and 2L engines, they could have done a volvo. The thing looks front heavy and back heavy.
From your own picture, the Volvo hood is still longer than the BMW and much longer than an Accord:

The BMW still has a larger wheelbase, less overall length, and less overall front overhang. The Volvo has achieved nothing.

2018 Honda Accord-ppxjazp.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 07-16-17 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 04:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The question is, is the audi a7 noticeably louder than the a6 ?
A hatchback can't be louder than the bestselling SUV, right?how so? .
It is actually. If you read/watch reviews they discuss that, and I've driven them back to back and the A6 is notably quieter.

SUVs/Crossovers also aren't as quiet generally as sedans. SUVs have a benefit of being higher off the road which can help reduce road noise.
Old 07-16-17, 06:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Back in the 1980's and 1990's, the Mazda 626 liftback was said to be louder than the sedan version with a cross member in the rear parcel shelf, a sealed rear windscreen, and a foldable rear seat back rest.

Today, I can tell you that a GLC tall wagen is considerably louder than the C Class sedan version.
A couple of years ago, at the traffic lights, a big truck was behind the GLC that I was testing, and I heard this extremely loud diesel engine noise - it was due to sound travelling straight through the GLC CUV's rear windscreen.

Below is a Mazda 3 sedan versus a Mazda 3 wagen tail gate structure.

Old 07-16-17, 06:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
From your own picture, the Volvo hood is still longer than the BMW and much longer than an Accord:

The BMW still has a larger wheelbase, less overall length, and less overall front overhang. The Volvo has achieved nothing.
Absolutely spot on.
The problem with a transversely mounted engine with front wheel drive is that there is a relationship between the position of the engine, to the gearbox, to the differential, and to the front drive shafts.
Thus as the front axle is moved forwards, the transversely mounted engine/gearbox/differential must also be moved forwards, hence the front overhang is just as long.

Volvo's front engine front drive design with a long wheelbase does help to look a little better, and perhaps give greater safety to the cabin.

Old 07-16-17, 06:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Does anyone know if the forthcoming Accord was styled in Japan or local styling studios in the USA?
Old 07-16-17, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Does anyone know if the forthcoming Accord was styled in Japan or local styling studios in the USA?

According to the company's own releases, both the exterior and interior were (apparently) done at the Wako design studio in Japan.

http://world.honda.com/RandD/wako/

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/a...spx?id=9800-en

Originally Posted by article
t starts with the new design, and with us today are the two lead designers for Accord, Mr. Morikawa, for the exterior and Mr. Shimizu for the interior. We visited with both of them recently in our Wako design studio and asked them to share some perspectives on the new design. Let's take a look.
Old 07-16-17, 07:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

They did a reasonably good job with the Civic, but not so good with the Accord IMO.
Old 07-16-17, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
They did a reasonably good job with the Civic, but not so good with the Accord IMO.
Yeah....the front end/grille looks like they drove it into a wall LOL.
Old 07-17-17, 07:30 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It is actually. If you read/watch reviews they discuss that, and I've driven them back to back and the A6 is notably quieter.

SUVs/Crossovers also aren't as quiet generally as sedans. SUVs have a benefit of being higher off the road which can help reduce road noise.
If an SUV benefits from sitting higher off the road which can help reduce road noise, isn't it a contradiction to say SUV's/crossovers aren't generally as quiet as a sedan? And what would be an example of a comparison making you come to this conclusion? It would be hard to compare a Ford Expedition to a Lexus sedan. Before you even start the engine you can tell the difference in cabin "isolation" when you shut the doors of each of those vehicles. It would be more applicable if you are comparing within the same brand (Infiniti cross-over vs. an Infiniti sedan).
Old 07-17-17, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
If an SUV benefits from sitting higher off the road which can help reduce road noise, isn't it a contradiction to say SUV's/crossovers aren't generally as quiet as a sedan?
Not necessarily a contradiction. Where sedans have sealed-off spaces and a separate trunk behind the rear seat that help further-insulate the rear wheel-wells from the occupant's ears, SUVS, hatchbacks, and wagons have more air and open space...both of which help to carry, rather than block, sound waves.

Notice, even in a sedan, that, when the rear seats are folded-down for extra cargo space, more road noise will often be let in as well...because you then lose one layer of sound-blocking.
Old 07-17-17, 08:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

.Looking at some C&D test results the sound levels at idle and at a constant 70 mph in the MB GLC/C Class and BMW X3/3 Series are virtually the same. In the case of MB they are identical. Not sure about Audi Q5/A5 and others but they all might be very close.

Quick Reply: 2018 Honda Accord