Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Kills Off Genesis In Britain After It Fails To Lure Buyers Away From BMW, Mer

Old 07-13-17, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

So you're saying it wasn't successful before Jeremy Clarkson, and yet somehow it's lack of success after Jeremy Clarkson became a public figure is due to him? It didn't get less successful....

It has absolutely nothing to do with Jeremy Clarkson lol. How absurd.
Old 07-13-17, 09:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
So you're saying it wasn't successful before Jeremy Clarkson, and yet somehow it's lack of success after Jeremy Clarkson became a public figure is due to him? It didn't get less successful....

It has absolutely nothing to do with Jeremy Clarkson lol. How absurd.
No, that's not what I'm saying (and what I said was not absurd), but (no offense) you seem to want to argue just for the sake of arguing, so I'm not going to continue this conversation. We'll just disagree like gentlemen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 02:36 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no it isn't, because i don't believe the genesis BRAND was launched in the uk, just the hyundai genesis (what the genesis g80 used to be called).

and looking at this page (found through google, not a link from the uk site now) they don't have all the prices listed, but it does say: from £51,585
http://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/genesis

big andy said an mb e43 4matic is similar price but their website says it's £57,320 so a lot more ($9k) and i've no doubt the genesis comes with more features for its price than the mb does for its price quoted.
http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/conte...ec/prices.html

Mercedes E43 4Matic is £53,235. All the cars I quoted were within a grand or so of the Genesis price (broadspeed.com). There are huge discounts on big German metal - you don't even have to haggle.

I take on board the point about the stealthy wealthy buying Genesis but I'd put my money into a 3 year old Audi/Merc and stick a private plate on it and run it for 4 or 5 years. You don't stay wealthy by burning money on big Korean cars.
Old 07-14-17, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I take on board the point about the stealthy wealthy buying Genesis but I'd put my money into a 3 year old Audi/Merc and stick a private plate on it and run it for 4 or 5 years. You don't stay wealthy by burning money on big Korean cars.
You don't stay wealthy very long by paying for Mercedes repairs either LOL, though, true, one three years old would still be under warranty for maybe another year. Still, Mercedes has only a 4/50 warranty even on the drive train. Korean vehicles are 10/100....and are generally more reliable to boot.
Old 07-14-17, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Actually if buying any car stops you from being wealthy, you were never wealthy to begin with
Old 07-14-17, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Mercedes E43 4Matic is £53,235.
i listed the price shown on mercedes own website i gave a link to. whatever.

You don't stay wealthy by burning money on any cars.
FYP.

i don't agree with it either... for many the cost of a middling 'executive saloon' is not a big deal, especially since it's a company car.

but i do understand your dismissive condescending tone about the non-european genesis... after all, you are british their offering wasn't compelling enough there to move any needle.
Old 07-14-17, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

for many the cost of a middling 'executive saloon' is not a big deal, especially since it's a company car.
But, on the other hand, many, though, in Europe, still cannot afford them. I at least partly blame the European governments for that....in general, they simply have their hands too deep into car-owners' pockets. IMO, taxation on engine-displacement, mileage, and emissions is absurd...though we (admittedly) have a Federal gas-guzzler tax in this country on really thirsty vehicles. And, on top of that, in Europe, they also have a huge tax-bite on gas at the pump......that's why gas costs 2-3X in Europe what it does here.
Old 07-14-17, 08:20 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

i listed the price shown on mercedes own website i gave a link to. whatever.

FYP.

i don't agree with it either... for many the cost of a middling 'executive saloon' is not a big deal, especially since it's a company car.

but i do understand your dismissive condescending tone about the non-european genesis... after all, you are british their offering wasn't compelling enough there to move any needle.
I'm sure there's no need for me to point out the irony of a condescending post accusing someone of condescension....

Anyway, back to the OP; the question was asked why Hyundai were killing off the Genesis in the UK and I answered simply that there were better cars out there for the same money.so they didn't sell any. If you struggle with that concept then I really can't help further.
Old 07-14-17, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, on the other hand, many, though, in Europe, still cannot afford them. I at least partly blame the European governments for that....in general, they simply have their hands too deep into car-owners' pockets. IMO, taxation on engine-displacement, mileage, and emissions is absurd...though we (admittedly) have a Federal gas-guzzler tax in this country on really thirsty vehicles. And, on top of that, in Europe, they also have a huge tax-bite on gas at the pump......that's why gas costs 2-3X in Europe what it does here.
Again...scratching my head.

If people in europe can afford BMWs and Mercedes, they can afford a cheaper Genesis.
Old 07-14-17, 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I'm sure there's no need for me to point out the irony of a condescending post accusing someone of condescension....
LOL and of course i was born a brit too

Anyway, back to the OP; the question was asked why Hyundai were killing off the Genesis in the UK and I answered simply that there were better cars out there for the same money.so they didn't sell any. If you struggle with that concept then I really can't help further.
i don't struggle with the concept but regardless, we agree the genesis wasn't good enough to sell over entrenched and very strong competition.
Old 07-14-17, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Again...scratching my head.

If people in europe can afford BMWs and Mercedes, they can afford a cheaper Genesis.
I don't totally agree with your reasoning here. BMW and Mercedes sell vehicles with low-tax, smaller powerplants in Europe. Genesis doesn't. Of course, whether one can afford it or not would depend on the tax rates in each country.
Old 07-15-17, 08:07 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Erythromycin nice
can't honestly say i've ever heard this expression before!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Would love to see a small compact luxury car from one of the these manufacturers.
like a G70?
Old 07-15-17, 11:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
can't honestly say i've ever heard this expression before!
Bahaha

I am on mobile a lot and the auto complete also messes things up. LOL
Old 07-15-17, 01:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Way way way back my grandpa's generation would tell me that when Toyota started selling in America, NO ONE WANTED THEM EVEN IN THEIR ORIGINAL COUNTRY (ALL OF ASIA). They were just a VERY NOISY "rust bucket full of crap". BACK THEN, IN ASIA, PEOPLE WANTED AMERICAN CARS!!! So Toyota HAD to come to America and try to do better. Better IT DID!!! LOOK AT TOYOTA/LEXUS NOW!!

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ Some of the very early 1960's Japanese cars sold in the US weren't all that great either. Quality was suspect, rust was a very real problem in some parts of the country, took Japan until the late 80's to finally figure out how to rust-proof their cars. Of course same could be said about a lot of American iron of that vintage, but I feel that certain Japanese cars/trucks were way worse than their American contemporaries in terms of rusting out.
Old 07-15-17, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Way way way back my grandpa's generation would tell me that when Toyota started selling in America, NO ONE WANTED THEM EVEN IN THEIR ORIGINAL COUNTRY (ALL OF ASIA). They were just a VERY NOISY "rust bucket full of crap". BACK THEN, IN ASIA, PEOPLE WANTED AMERICAN CARS!!! So Toyota HAD to come to America and try to do better. Better IT DID!!! LOOK AT TOYOTA/LEXUS NOW!!
Your grandfather was right. 50s and early-60s vintage Toyotas were little more than rolling cracker-box junk. By the early 70s, they really started getting their act together with tank-like quality, though it would take another 10-15 years to get the body-rust problems out, especially on the trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai Kills Off Genesis In Britain After It Fails To Lure Buyers Away From BMW, Mer