Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Kills Off Genesis In Britain After It Fails To Lure Buyers Away From BMW, Mer

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hyundai Kills Off Genesis In Britain After It Fails To Lure Buyers Away From BMW, Mer

Despite Hyundai’s spinning off Genesis into its own luxury brand and attacking the U.S. market with a selection of models, the original Genesis sedan, known as the G80 in the states, has been killed off in the UK due to dismal sales.

Autocar reports that since 2015, a mere 50 examples of the luxury Hyundai Genesis sedan have been sold in Britain, despite the South Korean company’s attempts to pitch the sedan as a legitimate rival to the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

Discussing the decision to cull the Genesis, Hyundai UK managing director Tony Whitehorn said such a car and its 3.8-liter V6 simply isn’t in demanded in Europe or the UK.

“The Genesis was never built for the European market, it was conceived for the Korean and American markets. It shows a saloon car with a 3.8-litre engine is not really what is demanded in Europe, and in particular in the UK.

“We brought it in as much just to sample it: lots of people told us they’d driven a Genesis in America and liked it. It was also available in Australia and had done well there, so it was engineered in right-hand-drive. So we thought fine, let’s trial it and see how it goes,” Whitehorn said.

At this stage, it isn’t known when Hyundai may decide to relaunch the Genesis brand in the UK but current thoughts suggest it might be several years away, longer than initially expected. If it happens, the upcoming Genesis SUV would likely be the first model sold.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/hyu...n-britain.html
Old 07-12-17, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Possibly a little off-topic, Jill, but how do you feel about the brand? Would you invest in one, if it were your money? You've made at least several comments about the brand, but I don't recall your overall opinion. I think highly enough of the G80, of course, that it was in the Top 5 contender's list on what my next car was going to be....in fact, it ended up being #2.
Old 07-12-17, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Genesis G80 is a nice car. The interior is. Erythromycin nice and I like the touchscreen and redundant button set up. Not sure if I would get one of the money was the same as a Lexus. Would love to see a small compact luxury car from one of the these manufacturers. Something Verano size maybe a Cadillac or Lexus. But no hybrid. Who knows. Maybe Genesis will make one.

I dunno if Genesis is going to succeed. But perhaps it might. Although the car market is shrinking and they are trying to gain a piece of the market share.
Old 07-12-17, 02:31 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Only 50? That is beyond abysmal. It saddens me though, as Genesis has some great cars. Hope this isn't an omen for its reception in other markets.
Old 07-12-17, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Its because they don't offer engine setups that appeal in the UK. No small 4cyl, no diesels.
Old 07-12-17, 03:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its because they don't offer engine setups that appeal in the UK. No small 4cyl, no diesels.
Yep. I'm sure that Genesis management understood the risks involved in the UK market.
Old 07-12-17, 03:08 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All asian brands sell pretty well here in Europe, as long as they are in the medium- low price range. Its very hard for any "new" premium market attempt here. There is simply too many premium brands here already and things like tradition, heritage and origin is at least 50% of the reason to buy a specific brand (luxury brands ).

But I would say that the asian brands themself are to blame for this, they have always brought us the most simple and characterless models through the years. Cars with 1,0-1,6 liter engines without any attempt to be more than just "super standard" in every aspect, many times without basic stuff like aircondition. Thats why many asian brands are eternally condemned as non luxury options here.
Old 07-12-17, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yes, that's part of it. Britons, unlike us, have to deal with special taxes on engine displacement, output, and amount of emissions.
Old 07-12-17, 03:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's part of it. Britons, unlike us, have to deal with special taxes on engine displacement, output, and amount of emissions.
It's not just part of it, it's most of it.
Old 07-12-17, 03:46 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Germany it has already been discontinued this year but it will make a come back with proper market relevant engines, one diesel included.

You can get grab a year old Genesis in Germany for a friction of the MSRP, its a steal! That's some US pricing right in the European mid-land. Take a look at it yourself.
Old 07-12-17, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder how Hyundai is doing in the UK and the rest of Europe. I have always said that the Genesis brand will only succeed if the Hyundai brand is very strong and selling well.
Old 07-12-17, 03:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yep. I'm sure that Genesis management understood the risks involved in the UK market.
Perhaps they are doing the factory direct idea and have no models on the lot to actually shop and buy
Old 07-12-17, 05:20 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

No diesel, no sales, as far as Europe is concerned. And this is post-VW dieselgate. Benz and BMW sell huge numbers of diesel E's and 5's and even the 7 series gets a top of the line diesel variant. Lexus still remains a niche player in Europe because it offers petrol hybrids instead of diesel, although hybrid sales are slowly picking up.
Old 07-12-17, 08:19 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
All asian brands sell pretty well here in Europe, as long as they are in the medium- low price range. Its very hard for any "new" premium market attempt here. There is simply too many premium brands here already and things like tradition, heritage and origin is at least 50% of the reason to buy a specific brand (luxury brands ).

But I would say that the asian brands themself are to blame for this, they have always brought us the most simple and characterless models through the years. Cars with 1,0-1,6 liter engines without any attempt to be more than just "super standard" in every aspect, many times without basic stuff like aircondition. Thats why many asian brands are eternally condemned as non luxury options here.
That's one thing I'd say where Asian brands really have succeeded in the US. Even back in the dark ages of the late 70's/early 80's, Toyota and Nissan were selling premium cars(the Cressida, Celica Supra, 280ZX, Maxima) By the end of the decade, well you were spoiled for choice if you wanted something nice and Japanese.
Old 07-13-17, 01:38 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This was always going to be a hard sell. Hyundais and KIAs sell well but they are seen as competitors to the likes of Ford and Toyota. There just isn't the market for a fairly anonymous looking Hyundai for over £50k - particularly if the target market get out of big diesels with mountains of torque and good fuel economy and get into a fairly wimpy 3.8 litre petrol - they're going to be disappointed. Add in horrendous depreciation of circa 50% for the first year you'd have to be mad to put your money into one. Looking on Autotrader there are currently 4 for sale secondhand in the whole of the UK - you can pick up a 17 plate one with under 2k miles 40% under list price. Even with a competitive diesel engine I could only really see them appealing to taxi drivers when they are 3 or 4 years old.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Kills Off Genesis In Britain After It Fails To Lure Buyers Away From BMW, Mer