Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This made my day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 05:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking This made my day!

I'm sure we all hate stupid bicyclers. This one almost won the Darwin award.

Old 07-10-17, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

A lot of these bikers just don't get it. Too bad for the guy.
Old 07-10-17, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A lot of these bikers just don't get it.
That's no excuse for an action like this, in a 4000-lb. vehicle.

I think the guy in the black CR-V (or was that a Volvo?) must have been drunk or stoned. No one in their right mind would do a criminal hit-and-run like that on what appears to be a complete stranger, on a bike, with virtually no protection. Hope they find his (or her) a** and throw the book at them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-17 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 06:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I saw this in the news this morning. The cyclist was seriously injured.

Thankfully the Volvo driver has been arrested. The cyclists should have been riding single file but he hardly deserved that.

Last edited by JDR76; 07-10-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 07:14 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I saw this in the news this morning. The cyclist was seriously injured.

Thankfully the Volvo driver has been arrested. The cyclists should have been riding single file but he hardly deserved that.
Agreed. I see people doing inconsiderate things all the time, doesn't mean I have the green light to run them over.
Old 07-10-17, 09:05 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This occurred on the Natchez Trace Parkway south of Nashville (max speed limit on the Trace is 50 mph). From news reports there are numerous signs posted along the Trace that bicyclers can use the entire lane. Story of the arrest:
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...deo/462473001/
I have mixed feelings about bicyclers and their lack of common sense riding on narrow roads and not being able to keep up with general traffic speed. While technically this bicycler was not violating the law, bikers are encouraged to ride single file on the Trace, which this one did not.

Last edited by wasjr; 07-10-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 09:59 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Without the video that guy would have gotten away with that hit. What a jerk!!
Old 07-10-17, 10:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The driver certainly didn't have the right to run him over, but that androgynous spandex wearing pedalist was totally asking for it by riding like an entitled t##t.
Old 07-10-17, 10:33 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I totally didn't see that coming. Holy cow. In San Francisco, there is a law passed a few years ago that we have to give bicyclists 3 ft of space when passing.
Old 07-10-17, 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Biker shouldn't have been there, but that Volvo driver should have their license revoked and spend a good amount of time behind bars. Ridiculous.
Old 07-10-17, 11:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Biker didn't do anything illegal, stupid yes. Also should be jailed for wearing that outfit.
Old 07-10-17, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
The cyclist was seriously injured.
In the video, he quickly gets up and walks away from it....but, of course, injuries are not always apparent right at first.

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Without the video that guy would have gotten away with that hit. What a jerk!!
That goes beyond being a jerk...being a jerk would have been more like blasting one's loud horn at close range or flipping the middle-finger in a Bronx salute. What happened there was a major criminal action. That driver could, if convicted, do significant prison time for it....plus be hit with a civil suit as well.
Old 07-10-17, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Also should be jailed for wearing that outfit.
Outfits like that, with tight-fitting Spandex pants, are not unusual at all among male bikers. I used to work with some that rode their bikes to work regularly and dressed more or less the same way....even in a Federal office.
Old 07-10-17, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Outfits like that, with tight-fitting Spandex pants, are not unusual at all among male bikers. I used to work with some that rode their bikes to work regularly and dressed more or less the same way....even in a Federal office.
Hilarious piece by JC on these mantyhose wearing betamale fartstains.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...ks-xxnl7w9fvbq

Bums on saddles, folks – let’s rout the pushbike Bolsheviks

If you selected a random group of British people and asked them to name everything that’s wrong or odd about Germany, the answers would be many and varied. But when I once gathered together a group of Germans and asked them to name everything they didn’t like about Britain, they were stumped. Only when pushed did one put his hand up and say, “Your taps.”

The others nodded enthusiastically. “Yes,” they all said. “Your taps. We don’t like the way you have one for hot and one for cold. Why do you not have one that mixes hot and cold to make warm?” Are you smarting? No. Thought not. So let me hit you with something that will sting a bit more. When I asked an Italian professor to name the thing he thought most strange about Britain, he said, “I once went to a pub which had a sign in the window that said, ‘Children welcome’. I found that very odd.”

It implies, of course, that there are establishments where children might not be welcome, and that to an Italian is just plain bonkers. Actually it’s just plain bonkers, no matter where you’re from. Last week, however, I saw a sign on a restaurant door that was even more mystifying: “Cyclists welcome”, it said.

I have nothing against those who ride bicycles. This week half my family and many of my friends will be cycling from Paris to London to raise money for wounded soldiers. I have a bicycle that I use for short distances of up to 100 metres in London. But I cannot see why because of this I should be more welcome at a restaurant than those who choose to go about their business on the bus.

What about people who play chess? The implication is that they are not particularly welcome. Nor are travelling salesmen, racing drivers and those who take part in dressage competitions. Why would there not be a sign saying, “Teachers welcome”?

I’ll tell you why. Because teachers are a specific group of people who teach stuff. “Cyclists”, on the other hand, does not refer to people who simply ride bicycles. These days the word means so much more than that.

You have those who ride a bike to work, and then you have cyclists who are very angry about everything and do not eat meat. By putting up a sign saying, “Cyclists welcome”, what the owner is actually saying is, “I have many vegetarian options on the menu and I pursue a fanatical anti-smoking policy. Also, I vote Labour.”

Cycling used to be how you got about when you were poor. Then it became a pastime for children. Now, though, it has evolved into something more. It’s gone beyond a way of life and become a political statement. A movement.

Its leaders even have a uniform. They wear skintight black leggings over which they put a pair of shorts. Yes, they actually wear their underpants on the outside of their trousers. There is no practical reason at all for doing this; it looks stupid. But that’s the point. It tells everyone that they are not interested in capitalism’s drive to make us all spend a fortune on fashion and looking good. It says, “I’m proud to look daft.”

This also explains the cycling helmet. If you actually wanted to protect your head, you would wear the sort of thing that motorcyclists use, and if you wanted all-round visibility you would go to the people who supply the British Army. But instead cyclists choose to wear five hardened bananas on their bonce. It’s the 21st-century equivalent of a British Leyland donkey jacket.

And often it is fitted with a GoPro video camera so that the shortcomings of van- driving painters and decorators can be uploaded to YouTube. It’s all part of the workers’ struggle against imperialism’s self-employed foot soldiers. Humiliate Gary the plumber on the internet and pretty soon you’ll bring down the stock exchange.

Twenty-five years ago we had cyclists, but back then they were called peace campaigners and they were chained to the fences at Greenham Common. Thirty years ago they were throwing rocks at policemen in Orgreave. And 180 years ago they were demanding the release of their brothers from Tolpuddle.

The Ramblers Association was born as an offshoot of the Young Communist League. It was designed to demonstrate that property is theft, and that the working man has a right to walk wherever and over whatever he sees fit. Well, today’s cyclists are simply bringing that tradition to the nation’s towns and cities.

As far as they are concerned the roads are theirs by right. And the pavements. They do not ride through red lights to make their journey quicker; they do it to show the Tories that they will not be enslaved by convention. It’s political.

And now they are demanding that their ecological, high-visibility, fair-trade, non-nuclear, meat-free lifestyle be accommodated into the mainstream, with junctions designed to put the bicycle first. They want the car and the van banished. Today the Embankment. Tomorrow the Bank of England.

There’s only one way they can be defeated. And that’s for normal people to start riding bicycles. We need to swell their ranks with moderates, people who ride a bike because they’ve had a drink and because taxis are too expensive. Ordinary people who ride in jeans and T-shirts and with no stupid helmet.

People who will walk into a restaurant with a sign on the door saying, “Cyclists welcome”, and ask for meat, with extra meat.

I’ve started the ball rolling by buying a bike. And when I ride it I have a sign on the back of my jacket that says, “Motorists. Thank you for letting me use your roads.”

Manners. That’s what the Germans say they like best about Britain and the British. So let’s use them to defeat extremism’s latest attempt to upset the applecart.

Last edited by Och; 07-10-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 12:33 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Cyclist has been released from hospital with "non life threatening injuries".

From updated article: "According to the arrest affidavit, Marshall Grant Neely III, 58, told the National Park Service rangers that a man and woman were standing in the road on July 8 at 11 a.m. He reported that the two threw the bicycle into his black Volvo." Apparently they had not told him about the video.

Quick Reply: This made my day!