Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The reasons these laws exist are to protect consumers by creating competition, and to protect jobs. Dealerships are a huge source of employment, tax revenue for local areas, etc.

As technology allows us to do more and more without people, this is going to become a bigger and bigger problem. This is what IMHO will be the ultimate downfall of our system, people have to work someplace, and when you dramatically reduce the workforce involved in nearly every industry, you're creating a huge underclass of people who can't get meaningful employment because there's nowhere to work. What do you do with those people?
Old 07-11-17, 07:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea because the dealership salesmen are highly trained. I often know more about the car than them. Now with automotive youtuber reviews, why do you even need a salesman to tell you about the car. Compare this with a tesla storefront, they truly know the product, they are highly trained factory reps. Dealerships need people like this, but salesmen arent car people nor are they interested in the product. Dealership salesmen are often straight commission, it costs the dealer next to nothing to employ them. Zero incentive to invest in their salesmen.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-11-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 07:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Yes i dont buy an appliance from samsung directly but does samsung play this MSRP numbers game on their products?
Yes they all do. When I buy appliances at my local appliance store it is pretty well known that I will be getting a discount from MSRP. I just bought some appliances that don't use a MSRP but a UMRP (which means that dealers are not allowed to discount these higher end appliances) and I still got a discount, not as much as the MSRP products but I did get a little off.
Old 07-11-17, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because the manufacturer with a direct sales model will put the dealer out of business.
The main problem, though, is that most manufacturers simply can't afford the facilities needed to actually display, sell, service, repair, and do the warranty work/recalls on their vehicles. Dealerships exist for a reason. Tesla, of course, is bucking that trend.....time will tell if they survive as an auto manufacturer, but many aren't betting on it.
Old 07-11-17, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes they all do. When I buy appliances at my local appliance store it is pretty well known that I will be getting a discount from MSRP. I just bought some appliances that don't use a MSRP but a UMRP (which means that dealers are not allowed to discount these higher end appliances) and I still got a discount, not as much as the MSRP products but I did get a little off.
Exactly. Every product has a "retail" or "MSRP" price.
Old 07-11-17, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

y. Dealership salesmen are often straight commission, it costs the dealer next to nothing to employ them. Zero incentive to invest in their salesmen.
You are not providing any facts. Dealer salesmen almost very rarely straight commission. Most have a base salary.
Old 07-11-17, 07:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The main problem, though, is that most manufacturers simply can't afford the facilities needed to actually display, sell, service, repair, and do the warranty work/recalls on their vehicles. Dealerships exist for a reason. Tesla, of course, is bucking that trend.....time will tell if they survive as an auto manufacturer, but many aren't betting on it.
Tesla is small enough where they can control their own stores without third party dealer, but for larger manufacturers this can be too much to handle and a whole new business model that they simply may not want to sustain. I know USA has certain laws that prevents manufacturers from selling cars directly to consumers without a dealers, but I doubt other countries have the same laws - and yet cars are still sold through dealerships almost everywhere to the best of my knowledge.
Old 07-11-17, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The reasons these laws exist are to protect consumers by creating competition, and to protect jobs.
i can buy an apple or dell computer directly from apple or dell, or i can buy them at best buy or other stores. why should cars be different? i know you've said you're ok with manufacturers selling direct if there's still a 3rd party (dealer) system as well.

about 'creating competition', while different brands compete with one another, obviously many consumers are very partial to specific brands, and not everyone lives in a bustling metropolis (or nearby) to have multiple dealers in their town. in my town there's one huge toyota dealer, one honda dealer, one hyundai, etc. they all do very well and don't discount much as all and all play the usual shenanigans with dealer add on 'value packages' fees, etc. i can go 50-150mi. away to other dealers, but they mostly behave the same way, so i might as well (if i could) have no dealer at all.

Dealerships are a huge source of employment, tax revenue for local areas, etc.
so were malls, and they're dying rapidly too. i don't see government laws protecting malls against amazon.

As technology allows us to do more and more without people, this is going to become a bigger and bigger problem. This is what IMHO will be the ultimate downfall of our system, people have to work someplace, and when you dramatically reduce the workforce involved in nearly every industry, you're creating a huge underclass of people who can't get meaningful employment because there's nowhere to work. What do you do with those people?
i'm sure they said that when cars replaced horses and buggies, when electrification replaced gas, kerosene, candles, etc., when large scale farming wiped out most 'family farms', when walmart wiped out high margin (ripoff-tastic) 'friendly' local 'general stores'. didn't happen. with an aging population there will continue to be a growing healthcare and senior care sector, with a growing tourism business that will continue to grow, etc. but yeah, a lot of 'white collar' service jobs will become lower wage or disappear.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Exactly. Every product has a fake "retail" or "MSRP" price.
fixed.
Old 07-11-17, 09:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you done any research? Movie studios I believe are not allowed to own their own movie cinemas.

Because the manufacturer with a direct sales model will put the dealer out of business.
glad that you admitted its protectionism, great for some, not the consumer. I thought it was the most efficient. Malls are dying across the US, should we make laws to force consumer to buy from a mall instead of online so they dont go out of business? How about we make a law that forces you to rent movies from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, not Netflix, so BB and HV can stay in business. Protectionism protects lobbied interests, not the consumer. If it was already the most efficient, you dont need a law.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-11-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 10:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Tesla is small enough where they can control their own stores without third party dealer, but for larger manufacturers this can be too much to handle and a whole new business model that they simply may not want to sustain. I know USA has certain laws that prevents manufacturers from selling cars directly to consumers without a dealers, but I doubt other countries have the same laws - and yet cars are still sold through dealerships almost everywhere to the best of my knowledge.
You make a good point about whether the manufacturer even wants to deal with being a dealer selling directly to the public, maybe they don't even want to. As you mentioned, Tesla is small enough and enough of a niche product right now that it makes sense for them. If they were as big as other auto manufacturers maybe they would think differently and change their business model.
Old 07-11-17, 10:34 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This makes absolutely no sense at all. This is what I call "blinded by your preconceptions" (and there is a lot of that in this thread), and unwilling to look at a different way of doing things.

What you are saying is that huge automakers, like Toyota or GM or Ford, cannot afford to sell their own cars, yet some guy who has begged, borrowed, stolen and mortgaged to scrape together a few million dollars to open a dealership CAN afford to sell cars.

It is not a question of not being able to AFFORD to sell cars, it is the age-old mentality (in the USA) about free enterprise being able to do it better, and then not being legally allowed to directly sell their own cars (in many states of the USA) that is keeping automakers from selling their own cars.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the largest markets in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver) are owned by Mercedes-Benz and they seem to be doing well.
Old 07-11-17, 10:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

glad that you admitted its protectionism, great for some, not the consumer. I thought it was the most efficient. Malls are dying across the US, should we make laws to force consumer to buy from a mall instead of online so they dont go out of business? How about we make a law that forces you to rent movies from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, not Netflix, so BB and HV can stay in business. Protectionism protects lobbied interests, not the consumer. If it was already the most efficient, you dont need a law.
Whether you're buying your products from a brick and mortar store or from an online retailer, for the most part you're still buying it through a third party.
Old 07-11-17, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This makes absolutely no sense at all. This is what I call "blinded by your preconceptions" (and there is a lot of that in this thread), and unwilling to look at a different way of doing things.

What you are saying is that huge automakers, like Toyota or GM or Ford, cannot afford to sell their own cars, yet some guy who has begged, borrowed, stolen and mortgaged to scrape together a few million dollars to open a dealership CAN afford to sell cars.

It is not a question of not being able to AFFORD to sell cars, it is the age-old mentality (in the USA) about free enterprise being able to do it better, and then not being legally allowed to directly sell their own cars (in many states of the USA) that is keeping automakers from selling their own cars.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Mercedes-Benz dealerships in the largest markets in Canada (Toronto and Vancouver) are owned by Mercedes-Benz and they seem to be doing well.
post of the day, thank you.
Old 07-11-17, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
post of the day, thank you.
Well, Gentlemen, kindly show me one example where it has ever worked in the long run, here in the U.S., and I will kindly drop the subject. Tesla, admittedly, still has the system, but their future, right now, as an automaker, is in some serious doubt.

Here's a good video on the subject. See what Bob Lutz and Bob Nardelli have to say about it......two very experienced auto executives who happen to know a thing or two about bankruptcy themselves.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-11-17 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 12:52 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a good video on the subject. See what Bob Lutz and Bob Nardelli have to say about it......two very experienced auto executives who happen to know a thing or two about bankruptcy themselves.
What on earth does that video have anything to do with whether car manufacturers could afford their own dealerships?

Quick Reply: tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly