Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 06:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You have it completely wrong. It actually is more efficient to have a good supply of vehicles. Most car buyers do not know what they want, what they can afford etc etc. The larger supply, the better chance that a buyer comes into the dealer and finds a vehicle and then leaves with it. The shorter the transaction, the better. Not having the cars on the lot and making buyers wait for them is not at all efficient. Making a buyer of a car wait for it because it needs to come from the factory is not all a good idea.

Too much inventory or too little inventory is not efficient. You want to have the perfect supply. And the auto business calls in "Days on Hand" if I am correct.
It is inefficient to give buyers a lot of choice because it is very costly to give buyers choices. That is why automakers have cut back on the options available.

It costs a lot to publish the order catalogs with all the different choices, and all the mix-and-match possibilities.

It costs a lot to give buyers the real choice in the showroom. The vehicles have to be warehoused. If the dealer has a large showroom, it costs a lot to heat, cool and keep the showroom clean. If the dealer also has a back lot, the cars there have to be secured from vandalism and theft, and have to be kept clean.

With just-in-time, lean manufacturing and sales, warehousing of product is minimized. Warehousing costs a lot of money because the product is sitting there and not making money.
Old 07-10-17, 06:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Yikes! Special ordering cars absolutely does not mean paying sticker... you can negotiate special orders just like you can negotiate cars on the lot.
So correct me if I`m wrong, what you are saying is that there is a system already in place, setup by privately owned dealerships that I can purchase a special order car just like Tesla, and not pay sticker unlike Tesla who will make you pay sticker for any config vehicle.... interesting
Old 07-10-17, 08:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
And there were many who would have happily told you this:

Lemme get this straight. You want to start up some sort of internet thingy where people take pictures of themselves and then post them online and then they...

What do you mean that you'll get people to write in a sentence that only has 140 characters in this online thingy called the internet? Who in this world communicates like that?

You want what??? You want private space flight and trips for tourists in outer space? Deliver private satellite payloads and stuff? Nonsense.

You can't have $99 airfares. Impossible.
The difference here is that in a couple of your examples the profit margins are sky high as it doesn't cost much to generate revenue just like software companies except there is a decent amount of R&D expenses to keep up with technology. Tesla has much higher margins than other manufacturers and they still operate in a loss position and they don't even have the legacy pension/health care expenses like other manufacturers. They also have leases that guarantee trade in value so hopefully for them the demand stays as high as it is now. If demand slows it could be tough for them but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 07-10-17, 08:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
The difference here is that in a couple of your examples the profit margins are sky high as it doesn't cost much to generate revenue just like software companies except there is a decent amount of R&D expenses to keep up with technology. Tesla has much higher margins than other manufacturers and they still operate in a loss position and they don't even have the legacy pension/health care expenses like other manufacturers. They also have leases that guarantee trade in value so hopefully for them the demand stays as high as it is now. If demand slows it could be tough for them but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
But isn't that the point? The tech companies can come and go, but you can bet that a few of them become winners and cash in. Tesla is simply trying to enter the retail chain and they're simply happen to do it with a vehicle that doesn't run on gasoline or diesel. If they win, they might win big. If they don't, they will go away on the automotive front. Wall Street keeps investing in Tesla. They sure don't seem to want to turn on the hose and invest in the big auto makers.

You could argue that Tesla has accepted big time government help too. But it wasn't Tesla that crashed in 2007, it was GM and Chrysler - too big to fail. Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc, etc. Will they fail and ask for bailouts? Not likely. Somehow we make special provisions for history and now we demand special provisions for a dealer/retail/supply network.
Old 07-10-17, 08:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It is inefficient to give buyers a lot of choice because it is very costly to give buyers choices. That is why automakers have cut back on the options available.

It costs a lot to publish the order catalogs with all the different choices, and all the mix-and-match possibilities.

It costs a lot to give buyers the real choice in the showroom. The vehicles have to be warehoused. If the dealer has a large showroom, it costs a lot to heat, cool and keep the showroom clean. If the dealer also has a back lot, the cars there have to be secured from vandalism and theft, and have to be kept clean.

With just-in-time, lean manufacturing and sales, warehousing of product is minimized. Warehousing costs a lot of money because the product is sitting there and not making money.
Are you being real here? Toyota sells 2.5 million cars a year in the US, that 8000+ cars a DAY How would they possibly be efficient these cars to the customers if the cars were already not stocked on the lots?
Old 07-10-17, 08:58 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So correct me if I`m wrong, what you are saying is that there is a system already in place, setup by privately owned dealerships that I can purchase a special order car just like Tesla, and not pay sticker unlike Tesla who will make you pay sticker for any config vehicle.... interesting
You're wording your question in an incredibly confusing way. Dealership sales are dealership sales - you can negotiate anything. It doesn't matter if it is a car on the lot or a car ordered to spec.

I can't imagine anyone actually paying sticker for a car unless demand exceeds supply. And demand exceeding supply is rare for cars, since sticker is an artificially inflated price that builds in the cost of middlemen and negotiating room. I've even had a Lexus dealership offer me a discount, up front and completely unsolicited, for a car I was considering special ordering - which just goes to show that even salesmen/dealers know that no one actually pays sticker.

Last edited by gengar; 07-10-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 11:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Why are they not the same? How is it efficient to have $40k vehicles sitting around on a lot for months at a time. The dealer is paying for insurance, cleaning, financing, overhead, and all of that is built into the price of each car that every single customer is paying for. Cars would be cheaper without this inefficiency. Why cant i just put in an order myself straight to the maker like I'm buying something online.

Would it make sense for Best Buy to have 100 washing machines sitting in each of their stores waiting for someone to buy them? Or does it make sense to only have a display model and ship it from a central warehouse when someone orders it? Its even worse for cars that can have 100s or 1000s of possible different combinations of options and colors. Dealership model isnt there because its the most efficient its there because of state laws that make it illegal for consumers to buy directly from the factory.
Cars production costs would be not be cheaper since the vehicle costs have not changed. Removing middlemen would just mean the company now has to pick up the warehouse costs, showroom costs, service bays all the features once tied down to private subcontractor. In addition Just in time mfging works for certain companies, Toyota Corp being one of them, and for the most part it works in the fashion as they know what to build for a selected region/allocation spot and build those and only order those parts right in time for mfg. Supply line issue or natural external factor results in factories shutdown. So its basically taking the current burden of dealerships and putting them onto the mfg who intern would not magically lower prices. At the end of the day either you have burden cost that either the dealership pays/3rd party or the mfg factor into their operational costs.
Old 07-10-17, 11:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
You're wording your question in an incredibly confusing way. Dealership sales are dealership sales - you can negotiate anything. It doesn't matter if it is a car on the lot or a car ordered to spec.

I can't imagine anyone actually paying sticker for a car unless demand exceeds supply. And demand exceeding supply is rare for cars, since sticker is an artificially inflated price that builds in the cost of middlemen and negotiating room. I've even had a Lexus dealership offer me a discount, up front and completely unsolicited, for a car I was considering special ordering - which just goes to show that even salesmen/dealers know that no one actually pays sticker.
So why would Lexus now burdened with controlling a dealership and said services decide to not ask for sticker straight up and claim the the once now inflated sticker is the actual fair market value. They now can just simply say, we are the mfg, and also control distribution channels so we set price at sticker, take it or leave it.

I think the idea here is that we all can agree on buying a car is grimy. Sleezy salesmen, bait and switch, size 1 font terms and conditions that no one reads, and of course wonderful fees like blinker fluid recycle fee.
The easiest way to avoid such a system is straightforward

Hold every dealership to the same exact fee structure. If its a legitimate $10 fee for DMV, make that standard across all dealerships.
Make adding accessories optional, opt in sort of
Make cost structure of a lease and finance clear.
Finally make salesman salaried then commission based. Guaranteed earnings is one less hassle for a salesman

Direct Sales is not the cure for dealership experiences, its primarily a way of a boutique automaker to appeal with their future customer base to make it seem like they are buying experience "revolutionary" and upscale like higher end outfits like bentley or mclaren
Old 07-10-17, 11:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Everyone loves to hate dealerships, but I never had a bad experience with new car dealers. You can also say that dealers are middlemen that work on commission, so they often go out of their way to provide great service. For instance, back in 2014 I urgently needed to get a new car for my daughter when she got in wreck during thanksgiving weekend - I emailed my salesman at like 1am, and he responded to me within 30 minutes, and made sure that the car would be ready for us by the end of weekend so she could go back to college.

And also dealers don't only sell cars, they also provide service, extended warranties, parts, loaners, etc. And its true not just for car, but for many other products as well. For example I buy apple products at Best Buy or Microcenter because they offer extended warranties/protection plans that cover more than Apple's Applecare.
Old 07-10-17, 11:27 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
So why would Lexus now burdened with controlling a dealership and said services decide to not ask for sticker straight up and claim the the once now inflated sticker is the actual fair market value.
You answered it yourself - because Lexus can't control actual market value. If Lexus says "take it or leave it", consumers will "leave it" if the price is too high. That's the simple reality. You act like all the people who bought an IS for $40k will still buy it if Lexus prices it at $100k, but we all know that's not what's going to happen.

That's why your argument that dealers are the ones that reduce price is so wrong. The reality is that dealers pay the manufacturer far less than sticker for the cars those dealers sell. The only thing dealers can compete on is how little they add on to that price before selling to the end consumer. Once again, that's not meaningful competition.

Last edited by gengar; 07-11-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 06:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if dealerships are the most efficient way why are there state laws forbidding direct sales. That is the red flag right there that there is a better model. Dealers are only able to treat you like crap now because there is no competition. What other industry is like this? Oh wait other industries don't have laws forbidding direct sales.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you being real here? Toyota sells 2.5 million cars a year in the US, that 8000+ cars a DAY How would they possibly be efficient these cars to the customers if the cars were already not stocked on the lots?
yea its so efficient to have 100s of cars rotting on the lot, in every color and option combination possible, that take weeks or even months to sell. Guess what youre paying for all of that overhead. Where as I can skip all that BS and order what I want from the dealer like im buying something online. Dealers can still be there to provide service and warranty work, and facilitate a delivery. But its inefficient to store all these cars and have them sit there for a long time where it can be minimalized to a showroom....like other industries. All a region needs is one large central location to store the cars instead of every single damn dealer maintaining their own inventory

Gulf States Toyota is the huge distributor of toyotas and lexus down here in the south, why cant i buy from them if not directly from toyota themselves. All these middlemen keep escalating the costs. These laws are straight up protectionism for dealership franchises to protect them from manufacturers selling direct, guess who pays for this in the end, customers.

Cars on the lot is time efficient for a customer wanting a car now, but is it efficient for the entire system?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-11-17 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

if dealerships are the most efficient way why are there state laws forbidding direct sales. That is the red flag right there that there is a better model. Dealers are only able to treat you like crap now because there is no competition.
As has been pointed out in this thread many times, dealerships compete with each other, both of the same brand (Chevy vs. Chevy, for example), and competing brands (Chevy vs. Ford). Cars can also bought today directly over the Internet, without physically visiting the dealership at all, though I would never recommend buying something without a test-drive...or at least a test-drive somewhere else so you are familiar with the vehicle.

other industries don't have laws forbidding direct sales.
When's the last time you bought a major appliance (refrigerator, washer/drier, etc...), furnace / heat-pump / air-conditoner, or even a home itself, directly from the manufacturer? Why do you think that Steve (SW15LS) even has a job? (he's a real estate agent).
Old 07-11-17, 06:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if this dealership model is the most efficient, then why not get rid of this law prohibiting direct sales since it is clearly uneeded. What are they afraid of?

mental exercise. Why do you think new cars depreciate so much and how can dealers play huge number games with the price of the same car? I think a lot of this new car depreciation comes from the hidden costs the dealer has on top of new cars. Costs of which are non recoverable when selling used. It is incredibly hard to tell what a dealer is truly paying for the car through all these incentives, hold backs, and numbers BS. I wish the law allowed us to bypass this MSRP number game.

Yes i dont buy an appliance from samsung directly but does samsung play this MSRP numbers game on their products?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 07-11-17 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Cars on the lot is time efficient for a customer wanting a car now, but is it efficient for the entire system?
Thanks for the response, most if not almost all customers want the car now.
Old 07-11-17, 06:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

if dealerships are the most efficient way why are there state laws forbidding direct sales. That is the red flag right there that there is a better model. Dealers are only able to treat you like crap now because there is no competition. What other industry is like this? Oh wait other industries don't have laws forbidding direct sales.
Have you done any research? Movie studios I believe are not allowed to own their own movie cinemas.

if dealerships are the most efficient way why are there state laws forbidding direct sales.
Because the manufacturer with a direct sales model will put the dealer out of business.

Quick Reply: tesla's real impact - breaking the car dealer monopoly