Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Car under 10k if primary was a sports car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 05:36 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Luxury Car under 10k if primary was a sports car

I'm really thinking about getting a GSF in a few months but live in the Northeast, so I'm planning on getting a second vehicle under 10k for snow and sometimes just a change of pace. For 10k or under, I'm thinking 05-06 Navigator, Escalade, or even S500 4matic. I'm not that worried about reliability, would probably only put about 2-3k miles a year. If you guys primarily drove a Rwd sports car, what would u get for 10k or under, I'm only really interested in luxury vehicles, I know I can get a newer vehicle like a accord or Honda pilot. Let's have some fun with this.
Old 07-08-17, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
I'm really thinking about getting a GSF in a few months but live in the Northeast, so I'm planning on getting a second vehicle under 10k for snow and sometimes just a change of pace. For 10k or under, I'm thinking 05-06 Navigator, Escalade, or even S500 4matic. I'm not that worried about reliability, would probably only put about 2-3k miles a year.

If you guys primarily drove a Rwd sports car, what would u get for 10k or under, I'm only really interested in luxury vehicles, I know I can get a newer vehicle like a accord or Honda pilot. Let's have some fun with this.
What are you specifically asking for advice on.....the RWD sports car, or the big luxury winter alternative? If for a 10K sports car, I'd look at a nice used Mazda Miata that has been well-cared for.....if you can fit into one (Miatas can be rather tight inside). For the price, it's probably the purest sports-car driving experience in the American market short of a Porsche Boxster.

For a 10K winter-beater, along the lines you're thinking, I'd look at an old Lexus GX before any of the vehicles you mention. You might say, right now, that you are not concerned about reliability...but let that S500 4Matic have any kind of real problem (which is likely), and you may have to re-mortgage your home to get it repaired LOL.
Old 07-08-17, 06:13 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What are you specifically asking for advice on.....the RWD sports car, or the big luxury winter alternative? If for a 10K sports car, I'd look at a nice used Mazda Miata that has been well-cared for.....if you can fit into one (Miatas can be rather tight inside). For the price, it's probably the purest sports-car driving experience in the American market short of a Porsche Boxster.

For a 10K winter-beater, along the lines you're thinking, I'd look at an old Lexus GX before any of the vehicles you mention. You might say, right now, that you are not concerned about reliability...but let that S500 4Matic have any kind of real problem (which is likely), and you may have to re-mortgage your home to get it repaired LOL.

lol, I would probably just dump the S500 instead of put any real money into it. That would be the case for any real issues for any of the winter vehicle options.

it's for the luxury winter vehicle, I would be getting the GSF as my primary car.
Old 07-08-17, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

lol, I would probably just dump the S500 instead of put any real money into it. That would be the case for any real issues for any of the winter vehicle options.
Yes, in that sense, I'd agree. An unreliable S-class can be a real money-pit.

it's for the luxury winter vehicle, I would be getting the GSF as my primary car.
OK, then, my advice still holds.....a good used Lexus GX would probably make more sense than an Escalade or Navigator. To get anything in this class for 10K, though, it is going to have a fair amount of time and/or miles on it.
Old 07-09-17, 06:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is the 10k "play" money, i.e. you can lose it all if it happened? If so, get the Benz. Personally I would have loved to get a 2006 A8 for about $12, with 60k miles, rather than a LS430 for a couple grand more. But I had to consider the ongoing cost of repairs etc. You could up your budget 2k and be styling in a A8. I hope you know what I mean, sometimes you buy a stock with play money and let it ride, sometimes you buy a stock with hard-earned money and it matters what the return is. If you're in the former category, go for a German flagship...
Old 07-09-17, 09:28 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Is the 10k "play" money, i.e. you can lose it all if it happened? If so, get the Benz. Personally I would have loved to get a 2006 A8 for about $12, with 60k miles, rather than a LS430 for a couple grand more. But I had to consider the ongoing cost of repairs etc. You could up your budget 2k and be styling in a A8. I hope you know what I mean, sometimes you buy a stock with play money and let it ride, sometimes you buy a stock with hard-earned money and it matters what the return is. If you're in the former category, go for a German flagship...
I hear what your saying, definitely not play money but would be ok with a loss if i had to dump because of a huge repair, so I pay 10k , if it needed a huge repair, I would just try to sell it cheap, like 3 or 4k to get rid of it, this goes for any of my choices, Navigator, Escalade, S class.

also with the Cadillac and Lincoln, wouldn't it be a cheaper option since I can use Ford and Chevy parts or aftermarket if need be.
Old 07-09-17, 10:19 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A S500, it doesn't matter how many miles you drive it, will cause you tons of problems, actually the less you drive the more problem it will produce. So throw that idea out of window to save yourself. For 10k beater there are too many choices but I would stick with Japanese for reliability and resale reasons.
Old 07-09-17, 11:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

second generation acura legend sedan. they're timelessly beautiful machines.
Old 07-09-17, 11:56 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I liked saab when lived up north...very fun to drive in snow and kinda luxury
Old 07-09-17, 12:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really thinking about getting a GSF in a few months but live in the Northeast, so I'm planning on getting a second vehicle under 10k for snow and sometimes just a change of pace. For 10k or under, I'm thinking 05-06 Navigator, Escalade, or even S500 4matic. I'm not that worried about reliability, would probably only put about 2-3k miles a year. If you guys primarily drove a Rwd sports car, what would u get for 10k or under, I'm only really interested in luxury vehicles, I know I can get a newer vehicle like a accord or Honda pilot. Let's have some fun with this.
For 2-3k miles per year for essentially a winter vehicle, that has to be a lux make, I'd go with a Lexus RX.

You say you don't care about reliability, but you are talking about a car that, when you need it, you REALLY need it. So I wouldn't discount Lexus reliability.
Old 07-09-17, 01:11 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
For 2-3k miles per year for essentially a winter vehicle, that has to be a lux make, I'd go with a Lexus RX.

You say you don't care about reliability, but you are talking about a car that, when you need it, you REALLY need it. So I wouldn't discount Lexus reliability.
that is a great great point
Old 07-09-17, 01:26 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I hear what your saying, definitely not play money but would be ok with a loss if i had to dump because of a huge repair, so I pay 10k , if it needed a huge repair, I would just try to sell it cheap, like 3 or 4k to get rid of it, this goes for any of my choices, Navigator, Escalade, S class.

also with the Cadillac and Lincoln, wouldn't it be a cheaper option since I can use Ford and Chevy parts or aftermarket if need be.
If this is the case, I would say if you have an indie who will install your parts, find the best S class you can, and go for it...the indie will put a upper limit to the cost (unlike a dealer)...I don't think American cars are cheaper at all, and there is less enthusiast aspect...my .02

Edit so much for Swype
Old 07-09-17, 01:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

that is a great great point
I bought a used LS for those reasons, but I wanted to keep repairs down. Someone with a greater tolerance for repairs can get a more enjoyable car to drive. That is lacking with lexus imho
Old 07-09-17, 10:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Kind of funny, looking for a winter car in July.

My advice for buying a $10,000 Benz S-class is to buy one for $5000. Save that extra $5000 for repairs and a beater Toyota Corolla with 200k on it, so you have something to drive while the Benz is in the shop.
Old 07-10-17, 06:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Kind of funny, looking for a winter car in July.

My advice for buying a $10,000 Benz S-class is to buy one for $5000. Save that extra $5000 for repairs and a beater Toyota Corolla with 200k on it, so you have something to drive while the Benz is in the shop.
What if he doesn't find a Corolla to be an appealing car? Why can't he look for a beater in July, are they cheaper in January?

Quick Reply: Luxury Car under 10k if primary was a sports car