Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 08:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
dunno if this has ever been mentioned on the new A8.....one thing I don't like about Audi, Jaguar, Range Rover, Volvo, is those **** rear fog lamps. Nothing could be worse than driving on a clear day, and having those **** lit up because the driver has their front fogs on all the time. I think they should be banned. They are deactivated on BMWs, though I saw people on my forum buying the switch which was blanked out, and now they work....how do the OLEDs handle it? Maybe unnecessary based on the light itself...
My previous Audi had rear fog lights and the front and rear fogs had separate witches. The switches were close to each other however, and it was easy to hit the wrong one if not looking closely.
Old 07-12-17, 08:07 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
FWIW my LS460 has all LED lighting outside, all blinkers, running lights, etc.
Lucky LS owners

Anyway, my ES uses bulbs for indicators, inside lighting and reverse lights. The facelift ES replaces everything with LEDs except for the indicators. Same thing on the NX, IS and GS too, with the RX and LS using all LEDs. Is it a cost thing or a longevity issue? I see BMWs and VWs with blown DRL LEDs all the time.

As for KITT dynamic indicators... No thanks. I see them all the time on new Mondeos and Audis. They're so distracting because the sequential movement catches the eye and makes it hard to focus on other traffic.
Old 07-12-17, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The refreshed GS uses LED turn signals.
Old 07-12-17, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cool little flip down on the back of the front passenger seat to not scuff up the seat-back

More pics
Old 07-12-17, 11:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

I have to say, that is a pretty slick car and I like the interior a lot but I wonder how much that model with the upgraded rear seats is going to cost. Yes it is a little boring on the exterior styling but I have always really liked their styling anyway especially with the S-line enhancements even if it is not the full S version.
Old 07-12-17, 03:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The exterior of the A8 and other Audi sedans have not appealed to me since they adopted the big mouth grill some 10 years ago ......
​​​​​​​
Old 07-12-17, 04:04 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The exterior of the A8 and other Audi sedans have not appealed to me since they adopted the big mouth grill some 10 years ago ......
how do you feel about the large spindle grilles present on all new lexus models?
Old 07-12-17, 05:17 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The refreshed GS uses LED turn signals.
Am not 100 % sure, but I believe higher trims of the 2018 Camry will also use LED for turn signals, headlights and brake lights.
Old 07-12-17, 05:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
how do you feel about the large spindle grilles present on all new lexus models?
The new LS500 is more interesting.
Old 07-12-17, 05:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Cool little flip down on the back of the front passenger seat to not scuff up the seat-back

More pics
Funny how there are these two pictures of these stupid tablets (IMO) than are not being used. They stick out like a sore thumb Do they hide?
Old 07-12-17, 06:24 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

New S8 to get Porsche's V8 good for 550 to 680 HP.

Also, I get the sense the lines between Porsche and Audi are blurring, which is a good thing if you're an Audi fan. Not sure how Porsche purists feel about this, though. A lot of engines being shared, including the Porsche-developed V6 to that pushes 450 HP now found in some Audi RS and soon to be S6/S7s. The current V8 in the S7 is a Bentley engine.

The Dodge-like rear tail lights on the new A8...well they were first seen on the new Porsche. Interior of the A8 borrows a lot from the Porsche too in regards to touch screens.

All cool stuff. I'm loving my Audi S7. I'm definitely getting another or maybe the A8 4.0t.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/07/new...win-turbo.html

Now that Audi has released the new A8, the question on everyone's minds is when we'll see the new S8 performance version, and what will be under the hood.

We can't answer the first question just yet, but Evo has some interesting tidbits about the second. According to the British publication, the new performance sedan is set to employ Porsche power – and even a hybrid version.

Now before you go screaming “what, that's crazy,” let's establish a couple of things. For one, the previous S8 employed a 5.2-liter V10 that was essentially adapted from the Lamborghini Gallardo. The current model uses the same engine as the Bentley Continental GT. So the idea of using a Porsche engine suddenly doesn't seem quite so outlandish, especially when you consider that the new A8 shares its platform with the Panamera.

The engine deployed in the Panamera and being mooted for the S8 bears the same basic parameters as the outgoing model's: a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8. But it's an entirely different block, and where the current S8 packs 513 hp (or 597 in Plus guise), the Panamera Turbo boasts 550 – or, crucially, 680 with an electric boost in the Turbo S E-Hybrid.

That's where things get interesting, because Evo and its sister-site Auto Expressreport that the S8 Plus could be replaced by an S8 E-Tron, using the Porsche's hybrid powertrain. Both versions could end up detuned slightly on their way from Zuffenhausen to Ingolstadt, but not by much.

As it is, the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid churns out significantly more power not only than the Mercedes S550e PHEV or BMW 740e iPerformance, but than the AMG S63 or M760i – and more torque than all but the S65.PHOTO GALLERY

Old 07-12-17, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

One area that's much improved are the graphics for the digital gauges. While the current set-up in the A3, A4, and TT are interesting, they are somewhat plain and untapped. Looks like at least in one photo, the new A8 jazzes up the display, adds some color, design, and character. Considering it's all a computerized, it should be easy to design something more artistic here. I'm now looking at the A4's design and thinking already its refresh will make the current version look very dated.

Good call on the Porsche taillights. I was thinking Lincoln, which also has a similar display. Either way, all three versions here are planted on a droopy butt. I miss the days of big booties. =)
Old 07-13-17, 04:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was behind one (A8L) which I would guess is a '16 or '17 near my home yesterday, and I can see how some might think it's plain. I think, in a good way, and it's a plus that the new one is an evolution. If someone wanted a more aggressive screaming angry type of look to the car, I believe it's not there. But it's not there either on a 7 or a S. This is something I think Hyundai understands as an Asian car mfg. Having only driven the 7 in the 2017 flavor, can't really say how the 3 big boys drive back-to-back, but I've always heard as far as driving, A8 > (7 & S).
Old 07-13-17, 06:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
I like the spindle more than the Audi grills, I think that shape allows more different interesting variations, but for me they work better on Lexus coupes and SUVs, not on sedans, I dislike them on the IS and GS in particular.
Old 07-13-17, 07:23 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I like the spindle more than the Audi grills, I think that shape allows more different interesting variations, but for me they work better on Lexus coupes and SUVs, not on sedans, I dislike them on the IS and GS in particular.
Ah, I was just curious as both manufacturers use large grilles in their respective lineups. I agree that the Lexus grille allows for more variation than the Audi grille, although I seem to favor the simplicity of the Audi grille more. I think the Lexus grille looks garish on their SUVs while allowing for more of a harmonious balance on the coupes and sedans (save for the GS).

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi A8