Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 10:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

It does look a lot like the Passat from the side I agree, I wouldn't go so far as to say it has FWD proportions though.
Old 07-08-17, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We saw the new Spider Man movie last night. I believe the new A8 was in it. It was so fast on screen.<br /><br />On a side note, we are at a Lavender Festival today. I am literally watching a Audi get towed as it won't restart right in front of the festival. Pretty embarrassing.
Old 07-08-17, 11:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
On a side note, we are at a Lavender Festival today. I am literally watching a Audi get towed as it won't restart right in front of the festival. Pretty embarrassing.
Stuff like that happens, its certainly not a "common" issue with Audi.
Old 07-08-17, 11:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I highly doubt it will look like a Passat at all if you put both cars side by side. A8 is going to be worlds larger, wider, longer, and more athletic looking.

It is true that all Audi and VW share the same design characteristics. Plain shapes, straight lines everywhere. It's a nice look, ages well, elegant, proportions are spot on, but never had that WOW factor to it or something you could ever call beautiful.
Old 07-08-17, 12:17 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I highly doubt it will look like a Passat at all if you put both cars side by side. A8 is going to be worlds larger, wider, longer, and more athletic looking.

It is true that all Audi and VW share the same design characteristics. Plain shapes, straight lines everywhere. It's a nice look, ages well, elegant, proportions are spot on, but never had that WOW factor to it or something you could ever call beautiful.
Audi R8 is kinda cool. The others , yeah, I agree. Ageless design can be boring sometimes.
I feel the same way about BMW as well. Tho, I think 2018 BMW 8 series looks really stunning...
Old 07-08-17, 03:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The lighting is extraordinary.

But the general shape is Passat.

FWD proportions on a car of this class is a deal breaker.

In the old days, Audi's front transaxle differential emanated from between the torque converter and the gearbox.

Nowadays, Audi has managed to move the front transaxle forwards into the area between the fly wheel and the torque converter.
Thus, we end up with a wheelbase that is intermediate between a transverse mounted engine Passat, and a traditional longitudinally mounted rear wheel drive car.

The 1990-95 & 1995-04 Acura Legend/RL would have the front transaxle well in front of the flywheel and below the oil sump, for a massive wheelbase [>2" longer than today's Lexus 4GS], with the bulk of the engine weight behind the front axle, but this design resulted in the Legend/RL's engine being mounted "higher" relative to the front transaxle.

Old 07-08-17, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

i had a 6 speed '94 legend sedan gs... it was awesome.
Old 07-08-17, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

meanwhile, the front overhang on the new a8 looks pretty bad.
Old 07-09-17, 06:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

LOL for a while, I had thought that this was one subforum that struck me as pretty objective. But I do see there's still a strong Lexus penchant here...my .02

I'm not saying it's unnatural, quite the contrary, the BMW forums are medium, and the US forums are very much imho one-sided....if this post had appeared in one I'm thinking of, it would have been trashed!

edit how about waiting 2 more days before concluding? I remember they used to say at job interviews, say the partner takes you out to Morton's. After a couple of drinks you're feeling pretty much at ease. Put salt on any of your food before tasting, you ain't getting the job.
Old 07-09-17, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This particular forum is pretty even keeled, to even anti-Lexus in my experience. You have a couple people who are fanboys, but I don't see anybody being negative about the A8 here and specifically saying the LS is better.
Old 07-09-17, 08:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I occasionally visit a couple of Audi and BMW forums. The BMW forums seem to have the most biased members while the Audi site seems pretty even keeled. Very similar to CL.
Old 07-09-17, 09:15 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, the bloodlines are definitely visible in regards to how they look alike. This shared platforms also definitely helps to save in development costs and its something Lexus is finally embracing. I actually like the conservative look. It's kind of like how Lexus was a decade ago in regards to their styling.

However, Audi also extends this theme to the engines and I actually like the way Audi does it. Lexus is all over the place and maybe that's why their engine development is severely lacking. For example, the performance engine of the A4 (or S4) is typically the base engine of the next model up. So, the new A6 will get the 354 HP engine of the S4.

It's simple, easy and, if you're like me--an engine nut--and want a particular engine, Audi offers two ways to get it, the S4 or A6. Genius and couldn't be better for people like me.

One more thing: Audi understates their performance numbers. There's a recent article that mentions this: http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/7/7...odels-7740026/.

I can appreciate that. Lexus is the complete opposite and in fact, for whatever reason, their numbers are just wretched even if they don't lie about it.

Look at the IS 200t. 241 HP 4 Cyl turbo. A Chevy Tahoe can get to 60 faster than that thing. The Audi A4, with a similar engine and, by all accounts, much larger car, can hit 60 in a legitimate 5.4 seconds. In this day and age, when everyone is flocking to SUVs, the only thing cars have over SUVS are performance, speed, power and driving characteristics, something Lexus cars are just utterly lacking in. Maybe that's why their sedans are constantly falling off the sales chart, even more so than competitors. Their engines are just wretched and even if they say they can do X HP, the real performance numbers are even worse.
Old 07-09-17, 11:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i had a 6 speed '94 legend sedan gs... it was awesome.
this was my dream car as a little kid!
Old 07-09-17, 05:59 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Main issue for me and Audi is leases. Their leases are terrible, and since I'm a leaser that has kept me out of an Audi.

I don't need an incredible lease, Lexus doesn't have incredible leases, but I want the lease to be cheaper than a 60 month finance payment which it isn't at Audi.

Not going to pay $1,500 a month for an A8 when I can pay $1,300 for an S Class and $1,150 for a 7 Series. They wanted the same payment on a $65k A6 I'm paying on my $80k LS.
I agree with you on the Audi leases, if they (or even BMW) had better lease numbers, I would probably be driving one of those but the Lexus IS350 lease was a good bit cheaper per month and the MSRP was equal or even more than the Audi or BMW when I was looking.

I just looked at the new LR Discovery and with a MSRP of about $66k, it leases pretty close to what an LX570 with a MSRP of $99k leases for and the lease payment is the same as what I could finance the LR for. This is where I struggle to lease the cheaper MSRP vehicle since I could step up to another class vehicle with Lexus for a similar payment. The accountant in me will always look at the value of what I am paying for and unfortunately (or fortunately) Lexus has won every time.

As for the A8, I bet I will like it as I really like the current version, especially the S8. Some, including my wife, think that Audi's styling is too bland and boring but I really like almost all of them especially all the S variants.
Old 07-09-17, 06:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

I can appreciate that. Lexus is the complete opposite and in fact, for whatever reason, their numbers are just wretched even if they don't lie about it.

Look at the IS 200t. 241 HP 4 Cyl turbo. A Chevy Tahoe can get to 60 faster than that thing. The Audi A4, with a similar engine and, by all accounts, much larger car, can hit 60 in a legitimate 5.4 seconds. In this day and age, when everyone is flocking to SUVs, the only thing cars have over SUVS are performance, speed, power and driving characteristics, something Lexus cars are just utterly lacking in. Maybe that's why their sedans are constantly falling off the sales chart, even more so than competitors. Their engines are just wretched and even if they say they can do X HP, the real performance numbers are even worse.
I agree. I have an IS350 with 306hp and it's competition in the 3 series or A4 is just as fast with 240 rated hp. My IS feels so slow sometimes from a start in first gear it is frustrating. I have heard its because of the gearing for fuel economy but I am averaging 18-19 mpg so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi A8