Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic

Old 07-06-17, 05:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

"Prestige" "Presence" "Class", in an Accord? I don't see that. You don't really have any of that in an Accord, or a Civic, or anything else similar. People don't see it going down the road and say "woah....that's an Accord man". I don't see how a low, sporty Civic is frumpy when an Accord is not
Old 07-06-17, 05:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I am curious about the Accord because the window is almost shut on manual tranny'd cars. The new Accord is supposed to still be available with a stick, and I prefer turbo over not, so the Camry is not of interest to me....AND, I realize that dreaming about 911's and 750's and S550's may have to stop on my part....but if you say a new Accord is $31k, da** no thank you. I know the Civic my dad wanted was $19,xxx with the Edmunds, but they tacked on like $480 which he refused to pay, and they did let him walk....
Old 07-06-17, 06:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

$31k is not unreasonable for a higher trim model. You can always get the base LX for less than that, and it's still well equipped.
Old 07-06-17, 06:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get the loaded Touring model with all the nanny tech,auto high beams,LED headlights,V6,heated rear seat,19" wheels etc for under or around $31K.A steal,IMO.
I'd rather have Honda's smooth V6 which gets very good MPGs over a 4 banger turbo in a heartbeat.

So much that due to the V6 going away,I recently bought a '17 Accord EX-L V6 to go along with my '16 RDX Advance with the same V6.

Honda's CVT is the best CVT.
My son has a '16 Accord EX coupe with the 4 cyl and CVT.Very peppy engine and the CVT is great.

The Civic...
No way the Civic comes close in quietness and ride quality compared to the Accord.It's also ugly.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-06-17 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Man you've changed all your cars since we talked last haha
Old 07-06-17, 06:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Man you've changed all your cars since we talked last haha

Unfortunately Steve,I've moved away from Lexus.
As you know,I've had many Lexus models but I'm just not into the new styling design.
Old 07-06-17, 08:30 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The 2018 Accord will be "all new", built on Honda's new platform. This is a version of the same platform as the current Civic. Styling will also be more like the Civic with a fastback roofline. Engines and transmissions in the top lines will also be all new. The baseline power for the 2018 is the current Civics optional 1.5 turbo. If you like the current Accord, there should be great deals available until they are gone which should mean the price will be near Civic levels for the larger car. If I were considering a 2017 Accord, it would be the V-6. In real world driving it gets good gas mileage and it comes with a 6 speed automatic instead of the CVT.

Bottom line: The Civic is more modern than the Accord, almost as roomy, and the style will look new for a while. Personally, I would go with the Civic even if the price out the door is the same.
Old 07-06-17, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Unfortunately Steve,I've moved away from Lexus.
As you know,I've had many Lexus models but I'm just not into the new styling design.
I'm with you, this will probably be my last Lexus too.
Old 07-06-17, 10:05 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You can get the loaded Touring model with all the nanny tech,auto high beams,LED headlights,V6,heated rear seat,19" wheels etc for under or around $31K.A steal,IMO.
I'd rather have Honda's smooth V6 which gets very good MPGs over a 4 banger turbo in a heartbeat.

So much that due to the V6 going away,I recently bought a '17 Accord EX-L V6 to go along with my '16 RDX Advance with the same V6.

Honda's CVT is the best CVT.
My son has a '16 Accord EX coupe with the 4 cyl and CVT.Very peppy engine and the CVT is great.

The Civic...
No way the Civic comes close in quietness and ride quality compared to the Accord.It's also ugly.

Agree. The new Civic is nice but the Accord V6 is on a different level IMO. If you can get a slightly used Accord V6 for the same price as a Civic touring i would pick the Accord all day long.
Old 07-06-17, 10:22 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by djmullen56
If it's primarily for commuting, consider the Lexus CT200h. I've had one since new in 2011 and think it is about the ideal commuting car. Just enough Lexus refinement to be comfortable and while not a powerful car, it is fun to drive. And you'll get north of 40 mpg.
Funny thing is that the CT was the first car I recommended her to get. I can get pretty large discounts from Lexus since I work there. But agian, she doesn't like the look of a hatch (wants a sedan), and feels a LEXUS is unnecessary.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want a Honda-engineered product, like the Civic's basic platform, but don't like the styling, may I suggest the Acura ILX? The ILX is done on the Civic's platform, but has much more conventional, less-polarizing styling inside and out (except for the parrot-beak grille). Pricing starts at 28K...you also get a longer warranty than the Civic.

http://www.acura.com/ilx
I did look into the ILX too, but I just can't get over the styling.

Originally Posted by GSteg
The Accord is good, but the body dates back to 2012. You'll probably regret it once the new one comes out. I'm personally not a fan of buying the last year model. I would hate to make payments on an "old" car. lol.
Yeah, since the '18 is being debuted soon, we are going to hold off buying. Gotta see the changes.

*I was sorta in the same boat with my car. I bought a '16 IS, but didn't know '17 was the refresh (didn't do my research). Now, making payments on a "older" body style. But, I still enjoy and love my '16 IS. It will definitely age well imo.

And the comments of Accord being more classy and whatnot. I do agree, its a nice car inside and out. But really, no one's going to be like awwwh sht its an ACCORDDD. <-- I see tons of these in where I live, especially the Sport Edition ones.

Last edited by nathantse; 07-06-17 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-06-17, 11:14 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse

Yeah, since the '18 is being debuted soon, we are going to hold off buying. Gotta see the changes.

*I was sorta in the same boat with my car. I bought a '16 IS, but didn't know '17 was the refresh (didn't do my research). Now, making payments on a "older" body style. But, I still enjoy and love my '16 IS. It will definitely age well imo.

And the comments of Accord being more classy and whatnot. I do agree, its a nice car inside and out. But really, no one's going to be like awwwh sht its an ACCORDDD. <-- I see tons of these in where I live, especially the Sport Edition ones.
That is probably a good idea. However you will probably not see any major discounts on the 2018 Accord until next year...
Old 07-06-17, 04:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
"Prestige" "Presence" "Class", in an Accord? I don't see that. You don't really have any of that in an Accord, or a Civic, or anything else similar. People don't see it going down the road and say "woah....that's an Accord man". I don't see how a low, sporty Civic is frumpy when an Accord is not
Within the confines of owning a Honda or being a Honda fanboy, all the words I used to describe the Accord vs. Civic stick. The Accord is a greater car in all those categories. Just like for Nissan fans, a Maxima is the benchmark for the brand compared to the models below it.

Yes, the Civic sedan is flat-out frumpy, with is metrosexual hatchback styling. The body shape mimics cheaply built, $2500, runabout cars offered during the gas crunches of the 70's and 80's. The Ford Pinto and Chevy Monza had the same bobtail look. Knowing auto history plays a role in designing today's models, and Honda doesn't realize the negative stigma hatchbacks play in America. If they want to make a hatchback, cut off the back end completely and make a true hatchback. A sedan should have a trunk, an SUV should look like an SUV, a pick-up should look like a pick-up, and a coupe should look like a coupe. It's out of control right now because they have run out of ideas- just like the clothing industry. People will gobble up anything with a certain label on it, no matter how tacky it looks.
Old 07-06-17, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But that is a very small subset of people. Personally, if I were buying a car like this "prestige" would be the last thing that would ever enter my mind. What do I care what "Honda fanboys" think about my car? Sorry...I'd rather have the Civic. When the new Accord comes out I'm sure my opinion will swing back, but IMHO the current Civic is a far more compelling product than the Accord. If I were buying something in the Accord's segment I'd buy a Mazda 6. The Accord is a slightly better riding car, but I don't think they ride well in general, nor are they especially refined. I think the Civic is a lot more dynamic and interesting, while the Accord is just sort of marginal in general. The Accord is bigger, but the Civic is plenty comfortable for 2, and okay for 4.

As for the style, well if this fastback look has such a negative stigma in America, then somebody better tell virtually every carmaker...because EVERYBODY is making cars that look like this right now, and a ton of people think they are great looking, myself included. Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Porsche, BMW, literally everybody. I'm sorry you don't like the look, but plenty of people do, if they didn't carmakers wouldn't be styling cars that way. Look how well the new Civic sells.

I don't see a lot of people calling the Audi A7 or A5 Sportback ugly...if they're out there they're drowned out by people who think they're incredible looking.

Sorry, I think this is a great looking car for its price point:

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-06-17 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 07:57 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

It's the same thing as, "...if everyone was jumping off a cliff, would you also?" Poor designs are all around in our melting pot. Like I said, the industry has run out of ideas. So they are rehashing old looks, as bad as they were at the time. The no-trunk look harks back to some of the ugliest cars in recent time. And that's just the body shape. It's a double whammy for the Civic, since the front end is also a total disaster. The leading edge of hood slopes down too far, creating a "crashed into a wall" look. Then, bulging black plastic exploding out of the two front intakes. Cheap trim should be hidden, not exaggerated. What else... circular fog lights were all the rage in 2002. And a grille that is 3/4 choked off by a chrome, plastic bar. Why have a grille if you are going to almost completely fill it in? These are all small styling faux pas that add up to one big eyesore. These tasteless things are being shoved down our throat by mega brands. The best brands can make all these mistakes. But the name on the vehicle will sell it- as has been happening. We are a monkey-see society, regardless of poor aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic-amcmat.jpg   Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic-model.jpg  
Old 07-06-17, 08:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's the same thing as, "...if everyone was jumping off a cliff, would you also?" Poor designs are all around in our melting pot. Like I said, the industry has run out of ideas. So they are rehashing old looks, as bad as they were at the time. The no-trunk look harks back to some of the ugliest cars in recent time. And that's just the body shape. It's a double whammy for the Civic, since the front end is also a total disaster. The leading edge of hood slopes down too far, creating a "crashed into a wall" look. Then, bulging black plastic exploding out of the two front intakes. Cheap trim should be hidden, not exaggerated. What else... circular fog lights were all the rage in 2002. And a grille that is 3/4 choked off by a chrome, plastic bar. Why have a grille if you are going to almost completely fill it in? These are all small styling faux pas that add up to one big eyesore. These tasteless things are being shoved down our throat by mega brands. The best brands can make all these mistakes. But the name on the vehicle will sell it- as has been happening. We are a monkey-see society, regardless of poor aesthetics.

I have to agree with Fizzboy. Fastback 4-door coupe-sedans are, IMO, ridiculous.....especially for rear headroom, ease of entry/exit for tall persons, outward visibility, and impacting on trunk-lid size. However, that's the way most sedans are designed nowadays, so we're more or less stuck with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for a 2nd car? Accord Vs. Civic