Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A bunch of issues with a Lexus GX!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 01:30 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default A bunch of issues with a Lexus GX!

I had some work done on my GX at the dealer & what they call a Lexus "Certified" Collision Center. To keep it short, I had AC work done at the dealer/service dept. My concern was when I turned it on, it sounded like a can was being bounced around under the hood. The tech who was going to work on it came to listen to it (the 2 other times they couldnt hear it!) He heard it, I suggessted it might be the compressor. He laughed and said, no, when a compressor goes, it goes. (ummmmm ok???)
The service writer called me, the tech wrote on the repair order
Change Compressor?
Even wrore a "?" the writer tells me.
I go to use it, guess what, same thing!

Since the weather got nicer, I took off the engine covers and plates underneath. OMG!!! They did a chop shop job! too much to list but hear is a few, did not put my original black bolts in areas, the slide for the oil filter drain isnt on it, the paint is flaking off, much much more.

I put negative reviews on the net, the next day I have the Police!!!! YEP the cops calling messaging I sent threatening emails!!! I told the cop to get copies and then decide if it was even worth the cops time! I hung up.

SO I get a email saying the dealer doesn't want my business anymore, and they also own the body shop!

I called 800-lexus and they told me since its under warranty I can bring it to another Lexus dealer. I made a appointment, talked to and explained what was going on, he said ok, who is paying for the inspection? I said Lexus, its under warranty. The next morning I get a call saying I have to pay $400 for the inspection!!!!! I called 800 lexus back, and said, I already paid for a inspection, also the repairs, I am not paying a dime! If the tech wrote "replace compressor?" did he diagnose it or just replace parts??? It SHOULD be fixxed and working!

I am now currently speaking to the "elevated" dept of Lexus, I said I want a area rep. to come and look what their "certified" body shop did! I told her that I am bringing the dealer and the body shop to the BBB, and go infront of a arbitrator. Any arbitrator can see what a crappy job they did and there is no way I can lose.Especially since the body shop work has a lifetime warranty. I said I will be asking for a refund PLUS I am getting estimates to fix their mistakes and adding that on.

Anyone who has any questions, comments or tips, I would appreciate it!

That was a short explanation of everything, there is a ton more! I am waiting for 2nd level Lexus to call me back, I gave them till Wed.
Old 06-26-17, 01:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i feel your frustration, although you cannot ask for a full refund and the cost of the repairs. litigation is about making you whole again, not placing you in a better place than you were which is where you would be if you recouped the cost of the inept repair as well as the cost to have it done again correctly. you'll ideally get a refund plus any difference in the cost to correctly repair it.

good luck, sir.
Old 06-26-17, 02:17 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Adds weight to the advice about researching and securing a reputable independent for everything but warranty work as the Lexus dealerships have a wide range of reviews on these forums. We have 3 Lexus vehicles spanning the past 25 years and since the first one (a '92 SC) we had mostly negative experiences on quality and value for the services and the other 2 have never been to the dealership since the cars were purchased. If a covered under warranty repair or recall occurs, that is another story (but even then I may take a car worked on by the dealership to one of my two independents to verify).

Good luck getting your vehicle repaired and resolution on your issue. Keep us updated....
Old 06-27-17, 10:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

since it was in a body shop was it in an accident?

even though the dealer owns the body shop it seems a difficult spot for lexus to get involved.

really sucks what's happened to your gx though
Old 06-28-17, 06:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Holy cow, the cops? that's extreme. This treatment does surprise me at Lexus, but would not surprise me if BMW. There are endless similar stories. I remember one posted that someone was asked to leave BMW Manhattan with his vehicle which was under warranty, they didn't want to service his vehicle based on their previous encounter (apparently the customer did in fact yell at the service advisor and manager and it was noted), and when he complained at the 800#, he was told that is a corporate dealership and they can choose whether they want to perform service or not. (and you know what I think they do hide behind, they deem people as "safety threats.")

Anyway, when something is not repaired properly, I suppose it makes the most sense that the folks who did it make things right. I can understand that going somewhere else, isn't the optimal way to do things.
Old 06-28-17, 07:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

What dealer?

I used to use Highland Park and they were easy to work with.
Old 06-28-17, 07:55 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Thank you everyone. It is just mind blowing how people are. I just want it done right, correctly. I am not looking for anything more. The body shop manager is a snake! BUT!

Big surprise! I had my insurance company send me the invoices they got from the body shop, insurance fraud!!!! Woodfield Lexus owns Certified Collision. What makes me sick is they are Toyota Lexus and Mercedes certified. Its going to take time, but it will end up being done right.
Old 06-28-17, 08:19 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

They are part of the Resnick Auto Group.

No experience with them.

Sorry about this headache.
Old 06-28-17, 08:33 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

yes they are and that is who i am bringing to the BBB! they are dumb if they dont fix it,, if i report the insurance fraud they are screwed!!!!!!
Old 06-29-17, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
yes they are and that is who i am bringing to the BBB! they are dumb if they dont fix it,, if i report the insurance fraud they are screwed!!!!!!
Oh guess what....the BMW dealer broke my sensor wire when they did a 4 wheel alignment, and the SA had the nerve to tell me it came in, in that condition. It makes no sense, because when you pull in, they are checking your wheel alignment, reading the key for faults, and 2 hs kids walk around your car taking pics with iPad Pros, to document any scuff, ding, etc. So how the **** is my car going to go in, get a 4 wheel alignment, and leave, with no documentation that a brake sensor failure was present already?

I asked the indie, and he goes he** yeah, if you're not careful, when you're adjusting the toe in the rear your ratchet will come in direct contact with the wire. F them!!!

So went through the dealer, the 800# (who believed me but was as helpless as when you complain to a hotel chain through the 800#, it's up to the franchise), nothing. Ordered the OEM part for $13, and replaced it myself. But the principle killed me, my car has 4 brand new brakes done by me, and I have to work on it again?

So I filed a complaint with the BBB, asking for $13.xx as the remedy. They did not respond so their rating went from A+ to C. Ah, then, I get the phone call, this wasn't handled properly, what can we do to make things right?

I did break the guy's ***** a little calling them crooked and you know as well as I do it doesn't make sense, and they agreed to do a $1600 job on my car for free to make things right. But, after thinking about it, I decided I never want them to touch my car again, and I'll pass on that job, and pay an indie maybe $800. The end....
Old 06-29-17, 01:13 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After hurricane Ike, my late partner's widow needed a roof replacement. I called a large, well-established local roofing company thinking they would do excellent work, but typical of post-storm repair contracts, they farmed out the job to two guys in a rusty pickup truck. The crew spoke no English, and evidently had never been on a roof before - we thought it was a matter of time before they're be one or both of the roofers lying in the flower bed, dead. Long story short, they botched the job and left a terrible mess. Now my friend lived in a VERY expensive neighborhood, so screwing up the job so badly ended up being bad advertising for the company.

When I wrote a letter of complaint to the company on her behalf, I CC'd the BBB. THAT got action. Here was a multi-million dollar company whose rating fell a couple of grades after the BBB received that letter. My friend had all kinds of company supervisors and executives calling her, first screaming mad that she would send such a letter, then after inspecting the work, apologizing and paying to fix the problems, cleaning the tar off her home's eaves and beautiful flagstone patio, and even cleaning the old pickup's oil stains off the otherwise pristine paved street, where the crew had abandoned it when they couldn't get it started.

I'm not much of a fan of the BBB, because most companies doing shoddy work don't care about their rating, but once in awhile the squeaky wheel gets the grease. You might consider a suit in small claims court. That was going to be my next step; the idea being not so much recover the money, but to make enough noise to affect their business. If you're going to hit 'em, hit 'em in the wallet. It works surprisingly well.