Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Modes ES350 gen 6 2013

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-17, 01:43 PM
dsandrews2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modes ES350 gen 6 2013

What exactly changes when I switch from econ mode to normal and from normal to sport mode ? I know the steering firms up. Thanks
Old 06-22-17, 06:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dsandrews2
What exactly changes when I switch from econ mode to normal and from normal to sport mode ? I know the steering firms up. Thanks

I assume you are referring to a gas ES350, not the Hybrid. Might want to check this question out from a previous CL thread, where several posters discussed it at length.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...mal-sport.html

I'll add a couple of my own comments. In general, with most vehicles, depending on exactly what the modes affect, going from Eco (or Comfort) to Normal to Sport, in that order, raises the shift-points in the transmission, makes for slightly quicker/firmer shifts, firms up the steering-feel some, reprograms the engine computer for a little more power, and firms up shock-damping for less body lean in turns.....though, on rough roads, it can make the ride uncomfortably stiff.
Old 06-22-17, 07:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Anything that is electronically controlled (i.e. software controlled) may have its control parameters changed when you switch between Normal, Eco and Sport modes. Some possibilities include:
  1. Throttle (accelerator) sensitivity: Less sensitive at small throttle openings (top of the accelerator travel) in Eco mode; and more sensitive at small throttle openings in Sport mode.
  2. Transmission gear shift timing: Shifting up earlier and down later in Eco mode to keep engine rpm as low as possible for best fuel economy; and shifting up later and down earlier in Sport mode.
  3. Electric power steering assistance: More assistance for lower-effort steering in Eco mode; and less assistance for greater-effort steering in Sport mode. It may be also be possible to actually change the steering ratio: Lower ratio in Eco mode (fewer turns of the steering wheel); and higher ratio in Sport mode (greater number of turns of the steering wheel).
  4. Electronic stability control sensitivity: More sensitive in Eco mode; and less sensitive in Sport mode (very sensitive traction control may cut the throttle and/or apply the brakes too early, for example).
  5. The number of other parameters that may be changed is limited only by the imagination. Off the top of my head, I can think of -- and throw out for discussion -- climate control settings to turn the air-conditioning compressor on or off; automatic windshield wiper sensitivity; turning on or off lights; turning the volume up or down on the audio system; tightening or loosening seatbelts; tightening or loosening seat bolsters; etc., etc., etc.