Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 11:10 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think for the most part nobody is thrilled with this new Supra.

The hype and long delayed intro of bringing this thing to market is not helping.

Besides that it uses mostly BMW parts and hardware - the other sad thing is that all the vents/scoops in front bumper, hood, sides and rear are FAKE. Even Mustangs have gotten rid of the fake aero lol.
Really not sure what Toyota is thinking.

Personally I was really down on this car especially that it would not offer a Manual.
The news of the iron block, CF parts, and really wide tires on such a tiny car his piqued my interest again.

One thing for sure it will not be cheap.
Agreed. I think majority of people aren't thrilled at all about this Supra. This thing has been tease and tease to a point where everyone is just like "whatever" about it.

And really fake vents? My god. Fake vents on a 65K car at that.

I was really hyped for this when it first announced. But as the car gets shown more and more - I really dislike the fact that its more BMW than what a Toyota Supra really is.

Originally Posted by situman
I wonder if this is Toyota's plan. To purposely disappoint all 10 people that's still screaming to buy a new Supra so they can stop complaining and Toyota will no longer have to do another Supra, cuz you know poor sales.

All kidding aside, this will be a flop any way you look at it. Supra fans won't buy it and BMW fans will just buy BMW. At $65k, if true, it is an instant fail already. Then you have the people that stands in the middle and dont care about the brand, but then sees only 300 some hp for the rumored $65k and then looks over at the Mustangs, Hellcats, Demons...or gasp! RCF, GSF, preowned LC....
Agreed. Supra fans won't buy it and BMW fans will just buy a BMW.

As a Toyota fan myself - I was hyped for this until I found out it was majority BMW. That really turned me off.

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Agreed at $65k this will be a total fail. Too many BMW badge snobs will turn their heads at this, why buy a $65k Toyota when you can buy a $40k M240i that has the same HP?
That's what I said before. You can buy a BMW M2 CS for less money.

This car is aimed to be a failure. I wish they would have lowered the price or keep the price; then give it the TTV6 from the LS, and a Lexus interior. That would be a killer car.
Old 07-13-18, 11:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Interesting comments, but as former owner of 2 Supra TTs, one thing that isn't being mentioned is that the MKIV TT in base form was just OK back in it debut. It's 0-60 times were in low to mid 5's and 1/4 mi in the low 13s (depending on which mag you believe). What made it legendary was it's tunability and reliability of the stock block to handle tons of power.

If it's 3100lbs is true, thats pretty significant in this day and age over overbloated sports cars. And although its stock output may just be ok, I think the acceleration times will best anything Toyota has today (I know, that's not saying much), with the aftermarket filling any needs an owner may want power wise.

I'm still super stoaked it's coming, and am somewhat happy to hear the condescending comments as it'll make the initial markup that much less! :X
The Supra turbo was one of the quicker cars on the market when it debuted at the time with the most power, as quick or quicker then a Corvette, 348, 928, 300ZXtt, RX-7, GTR, or base 911 and better looking in my opinion. It blew away 8 cylinder Mustangs and Camaro's. I saw some tests where it did 0-60 in 4.6-4.8 seconds but there were a few others with it at around 5.5 but it was still right there with the top performers priced under 100K.

This new Supra will not be able to compete with a base Corvette or base 911/S and will be more of just a 370Z/Z4 competitor, it will probably not even be able to compete with 8 cylinder Mustangs or Camaro's. This is not what the majority of Supra fans wanted nor is it a real replacement, it is a lower end car based heavily on a BMW roadster.
Old 07-13-18, 12:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

No Z4 will not have the iron block just regular B58 6cyl and obviously the 4cyl.
Did I miss something? They're keeping the name Z4 and not moving to Z5?
Old 07-13-18, 12:26 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$65,000 is delusional.

A mustang GT will woop its ***, and it costs much less.

and just a little more, you can get a porsche that will woop its ***. with more prestige.

This thing can only be $40,000 tops well equipped. I mean what does it have going for it that is special, besides the name?
It has a sporty shape, and a basic bmw engine with questionable reliability.

if they wanted to charge that much, they should have put a lexus badge on it, and still it would have super poor sales.

Last edited by pman6; 07-13-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 01:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
$65,000 is delusional.

and just a little more, you can get a porsche that will woop its ***. with more prestige.

This thing can only be $40,000 tops well equipped. I mean what does it have going for it that is special, besides the name?

if they wanted to charge that much, they should have put a lexus badge on it, and still it would have super poor sales.
The audience for this car is different - its turbo crowd.
Plus this Supra is more of 911/Cayman rather than Mustang which weighs 600-700lbs more and is much bigger car overall.

This is a dedicated 2seater with modern chassis - it should be on par with Cayman S for $20k cheaper.

I do agree it should be in the $50s.
At $65k - forget Mustang, you can get a really nice equipped Corvette

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-13-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 01:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Did I miss something? They're keeping the name Z4 and not moving to Z5?
Oh it may be Z5 not sure - my point was the 6cyl engine are rumored to be different.
Old 07-13-18, 01:50 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pman6
$65,000 is delusional.

While I agree that the price tag is insanely stupid, I don't agree with your Mustang GT comparison.

The Toyota Supra is a much different car than the GT. GT will definitely win on a straight but the Supra is designed more for a tracked-time attack. The Supra is a 50/50 weight distribution track car. Two totally different types of consumers.

Agreed. The price should only be at 40K or in the 40s. Its a tough sell - especially when the car is majority BMW than Toyota.
I think a Toyota Supra with Lexus interior, Lexus TTV6 engine, and stay true to what the old Supra was. It'll sell good. Definitely would do better than it at its current form.
Old 07-13-18, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Oh it may be Z5 not sure - my point was the 6cyl engine are rumored to be different.
Understood. Guess I was poorly trying to say at least the 124 Spider uses a different engine vs Miata (sourced in-house FCA). The Supra will be using everything from BMW, regardless if there is or isn't overlap in the powertrain department between the Supra and Z4/Z5

I probably know the answer, but Is this rumored Iron Block coming from BMW or Toyota?

If from BMW, will it be exclusive to the Supra, or will it be the basis from new I6's for BMW? Asking because Mercedes just debuted that wonderful FI I6 on 53 AMG models.

Old 07-13-18, 02:03 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I believe its the Z5.

The BMW TT Inline6 engine is actually going to be exactly the same engine but with different tuning. The engine will be sourced from BMW and tuned by Japanese engineers.
Old 07-13-18, 02:15 PM
Hoovey689

If I ever had a MarkV, I'd rebadge it Zupra
Old 07-13-18, 03:13 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If I ever had a MarkV, I'd rebadge it Zupra
seems legit! lol

Old 07-13-18, 04:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Interesting comments, but as former owner of 2 Supra TTs, one thing that isn't being mentioned is that the MKIV TT in base form was just OK back in it debut. It's 0-60 times were in low to mid 5's and 1/4 mi in the low 13s (depending on which mag you believe). What made it legendary was it's tunability and reliability of the stock block to handle tons of power.
Back when it debuted it was more than ok compared to its competitors, 300ZXTT, Stealth/3000GT, Corvette, RX-7, etc. It was quicker, handled and braked better than these cars stock. Comparing its performance to today’s cars it’s ok but back then it was better than its competition. I just don’t know what cars the new Supra will be compared against. It sure won’t be like back in 1993 when it was compared to cars like the 911turbo, Viper and Corvette. As a former Supra owner I’m disappointed but will not write it off until I see more.

Old 07-13-18, 04:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting article- Tada says power will be on par with Lexus F models.
50/50 weight distribution, lower center of gravity than GT86!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...e-on-sale-date
Old 07-13-18, 06:43 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

For this to be a success it needs to have over 400 HP
Old 07-13-18, 08:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
The BMW TT Inline6 engine is actually going to be exactly the same engine but with different tuning. The engine will be sourced from BMW and tuned by Japanese engineers.
Based on latest info thats not true.
Engines will be different in the Z and Supra, not just tuning.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra