Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Old 07-12-18, 10:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
This "Toyota Supra" is more a BMW than it is a Toyota. Its pretty much a BMW Z5 reskin with a Toyota Supra badge.

I wonder how will this sell considering there's nothing Toyota about it. I honestly feel like its insulting the Supra name.
I'll wait and see but I have similar thoughts. Did this project come about because of a drunken bet or something?
Old 07-12-18, 10:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What are the links?

I don't think if it has a cast iron block that it is going to weigh 3100lbs unless they are using a lot of aluminum and carbon fiber and it sounds hard to believe it will have its own unique iron block while BMW is aluminum.
Read here - 70 pages of rumors lol
I have my doubts about iron block too but seems more realistic now as various sources are saying same thing....

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/new...kv-supra.1306/
Old 07-12-18, 10:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I'll wait and see but I have similar thoughts. Did this project come about because of a drunken bet or something?
Toyota is cheap and sports cars don’t sell well even the MKIV was pulled due to low sales
Old 07-12-18, 10:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

BTW this thing is reall small !

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-12-18 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:19 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My friend it’s getting an iron block inline 6 - thats as Supra as you can get!

The car will weigh 3100 lbs and has some meaty tires.....255 front and 275 rears. It’s supposedly has CF roof and other CF components. This thing is SMALLER than FRS/BRZ.

Interior looks nice and has Idrive

Priced at $65k for 2seater will be tough.
It needs to be make great power and have tune potential to get a following.
That maybe so. But overall there is nothing Toyota about it.

This thing supposedly have a BMW Engine, BMW transmission, BMW interior + iDrive, BMW Chassis, and its made in Austria. Only thing Japanese or Toyota Supra about it is the name and design.

I agree with your last bit. If the 65K rumors are true, it'll be a tough sell. Not sure how much people will shell 65K for a Toyota (with a BMW engine) - when you can get a BMW M2 CS for less money.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Definitely. I'll wait and see too.

I just think its quite strange. I'm one of those folks that wished Toyota would have gave the Supra a Lexus treatment or or something. Maybe a TTV6, Lexus interior, and etc... I had my eyes on this Toyota Supra. If rumors hold true and its more BMW than Toyota, I'll pass on it.

To be honest - I'll drive a BMW M2 CS before I'll drive a Toyota Supra with a BMW engine.
Old 07-13-18, 05:29 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

My dream MKV Supra would be a newer version of the 2jzgte but with a 3.2L at least and factory single turbo with 6MT and DCT transmission option. 450 base HP from factory with iron block and no more than 3250 lbs. I would care less about how it looks can look exactly like above and no more than $75K and Hardtop only option. Again my dream MKV Supra.
Old 07-13-18, 06:26 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think for the most part nobody is thrilled with this new Supra.

The hype and long delayed intro of bringing this thing to market is not helping.

Besides that it uses mostly BMW parts and hardware - the other sad thing is that all the vents/scoops in front bumper, hood, sides and rear are FAKE. Even Mustangs have gotten rid of the fake aero lol.
Really not sure what Toyota is thinking.

Personally I was really down on this car especially that it would not offer a Manual.
The news of the iron block, CF parts, and really wide tires on such a tiny car his piqued my interest again.

One thing for sure it will not be cheap.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-13-18 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-13-18, 06:46 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes. This Supra's return is so long and drawn out it's exhausting.

Though I can't wait!....
Old 07-13-18, 07:03 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I think for the most part nobody is thrilled with this new Supra.

The hype and long delayed intro of bringing this thing to market is not helping.

Besides that it uses mostly BMW parts and hardware - the other sad thing is that all the vents/scoops in front bumper, hood, sides and rear are FAKE. Even Mustangs have gotten rid of the fake aero lol.
Really not sure what Toyota is thinking.

Personally I was really down on this car especially that it would not offer a Manual.
The news of the iron block, CF parts, and really wide tires on such a tiny car his piqued my interest again.

One thing for sure it will not be cheap.
I wonder if this is Toyota's plan. To purposely disappoint all 10 people that's still screaming to buy a new Supra so they can stop complaining and Toyota will no longer have to do another Supra, cuz you know poor sales.

All kidding aside, this will be a flop any way you look at it. Supra fans won't buy it and BMW fans will just buy BMW. At $65k, if true, it is an instant fail already. Then you have the people that stands in the middle and dont care about the brand, but then sees only 300 some hp for the rumored $65k and then looks over at the Mustangs, Hellcats, Demons...or gasp! RCF, GSF, preowned LC....
Old 07-13-18, 07:18 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I wonder if this is Toyota's plan. To purposely disappoint all 10 people that's still screaming to buy a new Supra so they can stop complaining and Toyota will no longer have to do another Supra, cuz you know poor sales.

All kidding aside, this will be a flop any way you look at it. Supra fans won't buy it and BMW fans will just buy BMW. At $65k, if true, it is an instant fail already. Then you have the people that stands in the middle and dont care about the brand, but then sees only 300 some hp for the rumored $65k and then looks over at the Mustangs, Hellcats, Demons...or gasp! RCF, GSF, preowned LC....
Agreed at $65k this will be a total fail. Too many BMW badge snobs will turn their heads at this, why buy a $65k Toyota when you can buy a $40k M240i that has the same HP?
Old 07-13-18, 08:43 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting comments, but as former owner of 2 Supra TTs, one thing that isn't being mentioned is that the MKIV TT in base form was just OK back in it debut. It's 0-60 times were in low to mid 5's and 1/4 mi in the low 13s (depending on which mag you believe). What made it legendary was it's tunability and reliability of the stock block to handle tons of power.

If it's 3100lbs is true, thats pretty significant in this day and age over overbloated sports cars. And although its stock output may just be ok, I think the acceleration times will best anything Toyota has today (I know, that's not saying much), with the aftermarket filling any needs an owner may want power wise.

I'm still super stoaked it's coming, and am somewhat happy to hear the condescending comments as it'll make the initial markup that much less! :X
Old 07-13-18, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So while the Fiat 124 Spider is a Miata, at least it gets a different engine. The new Supra is a Z5, but other than exterior aesthetics and some interior tweaks it's the same down to the engines. Toyota must be laughing, getting BMW to build it and supply parts and powertrains. All they have to do is style it a bit. In return Toyota shares some hybrid and battery tips
Old 07-13-18, 10:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So while the Fiat 124 Spider is a Miata, at least it gets a different engine. The new Supra is a Z5, but other than exterior aesthetics and some interior tweaks it's the same down to the engines. Toyota must be laughing, getting BMW to build it and supply parts and powertrains. All they have to do is style it a bit. In return Toyota shares some hybrid and battery tips
No Z4 will not have the iron block just regular B58 6cyl and obviously the 4cyl.
Old 07-13-18, 10:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ST430
Interesting comments, but as former owner of 2 Supra TTs, one thing that isn't being mentioned is that the MKIV TT in base form was just OK back in it debut. It's 0-60 times were in low to mid 5's and 1/4 mi in the low 13s (depending on which mag you believe). What made it legendary was it's tunability and reliability of the stock block to handle tons of power.

If it's 3100lbs is true, thats pretty significant in this day and age over overbloated sports cars. And although its stock output may just be ok, I think the acceleration times will best anything Toyota has today (I know, that's not saying much), with the aftermarket filling any needs an owner may want power wise.

I'm still super stoaked it's coming, and am somewhat happy to hear the condescending comments as it'll make the initial markup that much less! :X
Not accurate - MKIV when it debuted in early 90s was one of the fastest cars you can buy and definitely faster than all of its direct competition. The 320hp rating was BS as it made more than that at the wheels stock.
Old 07-13-18, 11:04 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

BTW this thing is reall small !

Which unfortunately ruin its proportions and its stance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra