Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 10:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would. This looks like a lot more fun to me than a Vette.
LOL - I’m 100% certain you never drove a C7 Vette.
It will run circles around this Supra especially in GrandSport trim plus it offers a manual trans.
Not to mention with simple bolt on mods - you can make over 500hp at the wheels.

The BMW Supra will have much better build quality, interior tech and ZF 8speed auto is way superior to the GM trans.

The other worthy competition is M240i and M2comp - both way more useable as daily drivers and offer manual option.
Old 05-14-19, 10:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Beefed up version my guess would be using the S58 BMW motor if they allow it with an actual manual.

It weighs 700lbs less then Z4 that's significant imo and I personally think it makes more power than they are claiming.

The BMW engines are very mod friendly with tunes and remaps. I read that some have pushed B58's to 7XX hp mark. That's still a lot of power many say it will be failure if it doesn't make 1K on stock block but those saying that have never driven a powerful car on street. I'm close to 850 on my Supra at wheels and it's way more than enough. Power is addictive you always want more and some are obsessed with making the most on a dyno just because.
There is NO WAY that BMW will put an ///M engine into a Toyota. They already said that there will be no Z4M so the new S58 engine will not go into any Supra.
The reason that Supra got the neutered B58 is for BMW to have the higher HP version.
This detuned version may be just “paper specs.” I would not be surprised that if you dyno the Z4 and Supra - they will be making identical #s.

B58 is easy to tune like most BMW turbos but to push out over 700hp - there will need to be other parts to upgrade in order to make it work. Plus any tune will void your warranty.
I’m sure the ECU tunes will be out there soon and u can easily make 50-100hp very safely.
Old 05-14-19, 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
The BMW engines are very mod friendly with tunes and remaps.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
B58 is easy to tune like most BMW turbos but to push out over 700hp - there will need to be other parts to upgrade in order to make it work. Plus any tune will void your warranty.
I’m sure the ECU tunes will be out there soon and u can easily make 50-100hp very safely.
while bmw has all kind of 3rd party tuners, my understanding is toyota did the ecu code for the new supra, and if anything like their others, it's encrypted and locked up?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-14-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 11:42 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while bmw has all kind of 3rd party tuners, my understanding is toyota did the ecu code for the new supra, and if anything like their others, it's encrypted and locked up?
The only tuning Toyota did on their own is on the suspension.
The engine is 100% BMW - Toyota may have had advice on what they wanted to be added / changed but they have not specifically stated what they actually did in the engine development if anything.
Old 05-14-19, 11:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

More from Car and Driver:

We're now able to quantify our recent positive tingles from our first time behind the wheel of a production 2020 Toyota Supra. We drove one back to our office from Toyota's launch event at Summit Point Motorsports Park in West Virginia and have now had the chance to run our full gamut of performance tests on it.

In short, the fifth-generation Supra is quick—even quicker than anticipated, hauling to 60 mph in just 3.8 seconds and steamrolling through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 113 mph. Our best runs involved a light dollop of brake torquing to get engine revs off idle and then carefully applying the gas pedal to avoid excessive wheelspin. The launch-control program, which was inconsistent in its engagement, was considerably slower.

These acceleration times stack up favorably against some bigger, pricier guns, nearly hanging with a Chevy Corvette or a Porsche Cayman GTS through the quarter-mile and slightly outaccelerating the BMW M2 Competition and the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350. This doesn't come as much of a surprise, given that it is based on BMW componentry, but the revived Supra follows in the BMW tradition of delivering far better performance than its claimed power, and thus power-to-weight ratio, would suggest. For example, at 10.1 pounds per horsepower, the Supra outaccelerates the Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE, which has 120 more horsepower, each of which is only taxed with 8.2 pounds. It's less a question of whether or not the Supra's 335-hp inline-six is underrated, and more about how much. Unfortunately, we have yet to test a BMW Z4 M40i to see how close the Supra is to the more powerful, "382-hp" six-cylinder Z4.

Although the horsepower rating is only 15 hp higher, the new Supra is quite a bit quicker than the revered Mark IV Supra Turbo from the mid-1990s, and—shockingly in today's world of almost always larger and heavier—108 pounds lighter, aided by its trimmer dimensions and lack of a rear seat. Our Renaissance Red test car weighed 3372 pounds, which is, impressively, a bit lighter than Toyota's claimed curb weight despite the fact that ours was a loaded Premium model, which pushed the as-tested price to $56,115.

However, Toyota hasn't divulged the coefficient of drag figure, and we'd guess by the way the Supra's high-speed acceleration tapers off that it isn't class-leading (all the fake vents probably don't help, but they would hurt more if they were real). By 100 mph, the Supra falls behind the Camaro SS 1LE and the M2, and, by 150 mph, the Supra is trailing those two by 1.5 and 3.2 seconds, respectively.

Despite wearing modestly sized Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires—that, yes, are branded with BMW's star (★) designation—the Supra averaged a heroic 1.07 g on the skidpad. That hangs with just about anything not wearing DOT-approved track tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelli P Zero Corsas, and slightly better than the current top-dog Cayman GTS and BMW M2. Braking performance from 70 mph came in at a solidly impressive 148 feet, right in line with the front-engine competition, although the slightly front-biased Supra (51.5/48.5 percent front/rear) can't hang with the rear-biased Porsche Cayman or Boxster.

Welcome back, Supra. You've been missed.
Link
Old 05-14-19, 11:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

BMW insider on the forums confirmed the “385 HP” Supra is coming very soon to the US with identical engine from Z4 M40i.
So wait till next year if you really need the extra 50hp.
Old 05-14-19, 11:59 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would. This looks like a lot more fun to me than a Vette.
I think it's too plain looking to me. Wish it looked more agressive and had a wider stance like the Z06
Old 05-14-19, 12:00 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

BMW insider on the forums confirmed the “385 HP” Supra is coming very soon to the US with identical engine from Z4 M40i.
And hopefully a more agressive look.
Old 05-14-19, 12:20 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

1000 responses to this thread !

Supra is dead. I can see it.
Old 05-14-19, 12:31 PM
axel04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra is Toyota, Z4 is BMW

BMW fans listen both companies BMW and Toyota used the same platform to tune these two cars and Toyota nailed it now stop being upset just cause BMW did not nail the setup like toyota now yall want to keep highlighting "it a BMW" just because it actually is that good, please don't take this from Toyota they nailed the setup the car is a baby LFA. Nobody is talking about the Z4, now yall wish that BMW badge was actually in a supra
Old 05-14-19, 12:53 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice plus it's 700lbs lighter than the Z4, only hope is they offer a manual option.
Old 05-14-19, 12:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Supra is not even made by BMW directly. It’s outsourced and assembled by Magma. I believe that is the spelling.
Old 05-14-19, 01:01 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Merged in another Supra thread.
Old 05-14-19, 01:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by axel04
BMW fans listen both companies BMW and Toyota used the same platform to tune these two cars and Toyota nailed it now stop being upset just cause BMW did not nail the setup like toyota now yall want to keep highlighting "it a BMW" just because it actually is that good, please don't take this from Toyota they nailed the setup the car is a baby LFA. Nobody is talking about the Z4, now yall wish that BMW badge was actually in a supra
The important hardware- Engine, Transmission, ECU, Interior tech - its all BMW.
All the part #s are the same from 3series, X3 etc.

Toyota put together their design around the hardware and tuned the dynamics to their preferences.
Old 05-14-19, 01:11 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benoit
1000 responses to this thread !

Supra is dead. I can see it.
LS and LC threads had ton of responses- how are they doing? Lol

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra