Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TripleL's My Chariot for the Week reviews

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 06:27 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up TripleL's My Chariot for the Week reviews

Between work and vacations I tend to rent my share of cars throughout the year. For the last couple of years I’ve been keeping a few notes about what I liked or disliked about the cars I’ve had. I typically put about 14K miles a year on rental cars and on average my rentals are about 7 days and drive about 750 miles each time.

We are very lucky here on CL that we have members (You know who you are!) that write and share their in depth car reviews. So the purpose of this thread is for me to share my thoughts, opinions and observations about the cars I’ve driven. Given the amount of time I have these cars and the miles I put on them I hoping you agree that sharing ‘my time’ with these cars may add value in an additional way to the reviews we already enjoy.

From time to time when I rent a car I’ll send a pic of it to friends with the caption “My Chariot for the Week” hence the title of this thread. I’ll try to do that here in case there are specific questions etc that I can assist with while I have the vehicle.

Am I qualified to review any car? Of course not! But I’ve been driving for over 30 years and I’m very clear on what I like or don’t like so let’s do this anyway!

Last month at the request of friends I did two short reviews; One a ’17 MKZ and the other a ’17 XTS which I’ll share as my first two. They are not great but they were good enough I guess to inspire one of our fellow members to suggest the idea for this thread! Fast forward to this week my next rental was a ’17 LaCrosse and I took more detailed notes so that review will be a little more in depth and I'll it share later this week once I write it. If time allows I’ll also go back and review some other cars I’ve had like the X3 and Grand Cherokee Limited to name a few.

Enjoy.
Old 06-11-17, 06:36 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Default 2017 Lincoln MKZ 2.0T

The 2017 MKZ I had was a nice ride. Good size for cars as far as I'm concerned. This one had the 4 cyl Turbo and it was fine is most circumstances. In fact unless you really jumped on the gas I never heard the engine. Never it was near silent. Very old school Lexus-like in a good way. However once the 'passing gear' was hit the engine was just rough and buzzy. Also, and this only happened maybe 3 times in 8 days, there was engine vibration at a stop light. Not the end of the world but not expected from a Lincoln in my opinion.

The ride itself in city and highway was nice and I like it a lot. For some reason the car always felt very long and narrow though. OH, and it was not a back road burner nor was it meant to be so that's fine. I like the electronics including sync as I thought they were well done and found the home screen with the 4 quadrants very nice. Stereo was weak, but again this was a base model.

I travel most all the winter in upstate NY (read freakn snows everyday ) and use remote start on my rentals often. I try to park so that when I use the remote start I can see the car lights from the hotel. Super cool (and new to me) feature on the MKZ is that when the car successfully starts the remote has a green light that blinks. Very nice

Overall I liked the car very much and can understand why they seem to be selling well. To me? Not my first choice but maybe I need to drive the V6 version.

Old 06-11-17, 06:47 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Default 2017 Cadillac XTS

The 2017 XTS was a big but very good ride for the week. The 3.6 engine was very nice, smooth and just the right mix of quiet and rumble when pushed. Not that the car liked to be pushed,, but at least the engine sounded good when hustled Ride was excellent, and the CUE system was fine once the proximity sensor is off (which I did the first day). I still like the Sync home screen a little better than this, but other than that they were about equal. Loved the IP and found it clear and very customize-able. The upgraded, I'm assuming, BOSE stereo was nice and the Nav worked very well.

Surprisingly on the highway the MPG was equal or higher than the 4 cyl MKZ or X3 I had a few weeks before that. Highway and city ride was superb. The car is big. Back seat leg room is ample and it had an old school 4 body, I mean trunk big enough for 4 golf bags. Actually for my tastes the XTS was a little too big but seriously feel an equal optioned CTS would be the sweet spot here.

I had the car 8 days and about 900 miles so a little more than most of my rentals. I can say that after a couple of days with the car it’s definitely a car I would own, albeit probably in the form of its little brother. Hopefully when the time comes for my next ride there will still be a GS which many of you know is my favorite current Lexus for my needs, but I digress

Old 06-11-17, 06:56 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dat 1995 gage cluster tho....
Old 06-11-17, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, TripleL. I wasn't impressed with the first-year production XTS when it debuted several years ago (lack of refinement on the road, and a front-end shimmy from a known flaw in the chassis design). I understand, though (and your report, here, seems to verify it) that improvements have been made in the last couple of years, and that it has now become more Cadillac-like.

On the MKZ, be aware, since you live in upstate NY, that it does come in AWD (as does the XTS). The MKZ, along with several others, was a serious contender when I decided on a Lacrosse. I found its ride and road-manners pretty much as you described them....but, like Lincoln's own MKC, had a somewhat loose feel to its construction that couldn't match the quality of GM or Asian-designed imports. Also, the MKZ, unlike the Lacrosse, lacks a moderate-sized non-turbo V6.....with the MKZ, it's either all or nothing, with the 2.0 turbo four at one end and the drag-strip 3.0TT twin-turbo V6 with 400 HP at the other end. The engine choice in the MKZ was the main reason I ended up choosing the Lacrosse. In the MKZ's favor, though, are a new handsome, Continental-like front end this year, and much better stereo/climate controls on the dash and console.

Definitely looking forward to your write-up on the Lacrosse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-11-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

great reviews, thanks!

maybe the thread should be titled "triplel's rental chariot reviews"
Old 06-11-17, 10:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the XTS is on it's way out soon. If it hasn't been announced, I will make the prediction right now. And I agree, the gauge cluster is extremely dated, as it is on most other base model Cadillacs. I could never take this car serious due to the silly greenhouse overstretching to the front and rear of the body. Looks like a teeter-totter on stilts.
Thanks for the reviews. Interesting read about the Lincoln engine notes.
Old 06-12-17, 03:13 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Better than some but worse then others
Old 06-12-17, 03:23 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, TripleL. I wasn't impressed with the first-year production XTS when it debuted several years ago (lack of refinement on the road, and a front-end shimmy from a known flaw in the chassis design). I understand, though (and your report, here, seems to verify it) that improvements have been made in the last couple of years, and that it has now become more Cadillac-like.

On the MKZ, be aware, since you live in upstate NY, that it does come in AWD (as does the XTS). The MKZ, along with several others, was a serious contender when I decided on a Lacrosse. I found its ride and road-manners pretty much as you described them....but, like Lincoln's own MKC, had a somewhat loose feel to its construction that couldn't match the quality of GM or Asian-designed imports. Also, the MKZ, unlike the Lacrosse, lacks a moderate-sized non-turbo V6.....with the MKZ, it's either all or nothing, with the 2.0 turbo four at one end and the drag-strip 3.0TT twin-turbo V6 with 400 HP at the other end. The engine choice in the MKZ was the main reason I ended up choosing the Lacrosse. In the MKZ's favor, though, are a new handsome, Continental-like front end this year, and much better stereo/climate controls on the dash and console.

Definitely looking forward to your write-up on the Lacrosse.
You're welcome and thank you for your kind words means a lot to me.

I actually live near the beaches in RI, but for work travel to upstate NY, NYC and NJ quite often. I appreciate you noting the AWD option as I'm a fan! All my cars since 1998 have been AWD and if I count my 1990 Pathfinder I've had 4WD/AWD a looooong time and agree its nice to have up here. In the winter I'm pretty much exclusively renting AWD which most always means SUVs as you'd imagine. Did you go for AWD on your new car?
Old 06-12-17, 03:24 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great reviews, thanks!
You're welcome!
Old 06-12-17, 03:28 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think the XTS is on it's way out soon. If it hasn't been announced, I will make the prediction right now. And I agree, the gauge cluster is extremely dated, as it is on most other base model Cadillacs. I could never take this car serious due to the silly greenhouse overstretching to the front and rear of the body. Looks like a teeter-totter on stilts.
I'm not sure if I've seen an announcement either but it will surely be a CTsomething if not discontinued all together. I agree that gauge cluster has been around although I thought it was fine.
Thanks for the reviews. Interesting read about the Lincoln engine notes.
You're welcome.
Old 06-12-17, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL

I actually live near the beaches in RI, but for work travel to upstate NY, NYC and NJ quite often. I appreciate you noting the AWD option as I'm a fan! All my cars since 1998 have been AWD and if I count my 1990 Pathfinder I've had 4WD/AWD a looooong time and agree its nice to have up here. In the winter I'm pretty much exclusively renting AWD which most always means SUVs as you'd imagine. Did you go for AWD on your new car?
No, I skipped AWD this time, for several reasons. First, it's not offered on the Preferred trim-level I wanted. Second, I'm retired now, don't commute every day in bad weather, and don't really need it any more. Third, it adds weight/drag and lowers MPG. Fourth, from what I've read in reviews, on the Lacrosse, it impacts ride-quality some. Fifth, of course, it's not a cheap option. For me, the standard FWD will probably be fine, especially if I have the excellent Continental Contipro Contact tires that Buick uses on a number of their models....they certainly were fine on the Verano.

Subarus are quite common in your part of the country, especially for those who want a good snow car and can't afford to spend a lot....I'm sure you've noticed that.
Old 06-12-17, 06:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
My dad actually had a 1995 Cadillac, and I think it had a better looking gauge cluster than that lol
Old 06-12-17, 05:28 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I skipped AWD this time, for several reasons. First, it's not offered on the Preferred trim-level I wanted. Second, I'm retired now, don't commute every day in bad weather, and don't really need it any more. Third, it adds weight/drag and lowers MPG. Fourth, from what I've read in reviews, on the Lacrosse, it impacts ride-quality some. Fifth, of course, it's not a cheap option. For me, the standard FWD will probably be fine, especially if I have the excellent Continental Contipro Contact tires that Buick uses on a number of their models....they certainly were fine on the Verano.

Subarus are quite common in your part of the country, especially for those who want a good snow car and can't afford to spend a lot....I'm sure you've noticed that.
Logic makes perfect sense, no surprise you did your homework!

Yes Subie's and most anything with AWD is pretty popular around here.
Old 06-12-17, 05:40 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My dad actually had a 1995 Cadillac, and I think it had a better looking gauge cluster than that lol
The last Caddy I owned was a 1980 Eldorado Biarritz. It had a 6.0 litre V8 and got about 12 miles to the gallon and had a dashboard that looked like this....

...and at the time I loved that car!!
Attached Thumbnails TripleL's My Chariot for the Week reviews-1980-eldo-dashboard.jpg  

Quick Reply: TripleL's My Chariot for the Week reviews