Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car shopping, thoughts on jeep renegade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 07:42 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;9892579]Not only that, but a number of insurance companies won't cover off-road use.

A LR3, like most Land Rover products, can be a real money-pit if not under warranty. I wouldn't keep one unless it had extended coverage. Like I said above, if you aren't going off-road, you've got many good choices (literally dozens), both from domestic and foreign nameplates. Also like I said above, keep in mind that some "domestic" vehicles are actually designed and built overseas, and vice-versa. Today's industry is truly global. If it is a smaller crossover SUV you're looking for (though they are slightly larger than the Renegade), then generally good choices are the Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, and Subaru Forester (though many Subarus use a CVT, and some late-model non-turbo Subarus may have an oil-consumption issue). The Lexus NX and Audi Q3 are in that size category if you want to spend a little more, but dealer service will be more expensive. For something smaller, sub-compact, about the size of a Renegade (but not quite as space-efficient), check out the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-3. Both are markedly better-built than a Renegade, can expected to be more reliable, but are crossovers, not meant for serious off-roading.

http://automobiles.honda.com/hr-

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-3

Actually my lr3 has been really reliable for me. The fact is if I'm not going to use it off-roading, I need to ditch the 15mpg's. As far as makes, I don't have local dealers for the foreign nameplates. So if I'm buying a new car I want to have a dealer closer than over a hundred miles away. Which means ford, gm, Chrysler if I want that. I get that we have global manufacturing in this day and age.
Old 06-09-17, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Actually my lr3 has been really reliable for me. The fact is if I'm not going to use it off-roading, I need to ditch the 15mpg's. As far as makes, I don't have local dealers for the foreign nameplates. So if I'm buying a new car I want to have a dealer closer than over a hundred miles away. Which means ford, gm, Chrysler if I want that. I get that we have global manufacturing in this day and age.
OK, then, if that's the case, see if Ford or GM has anything to your liking, in your price range. I agree with Fizzboy, though, that you're rolling the dice with a number of Chrysler products.....though there is no denying that the Jeep Grand Cherokee drives very nicely. I'd also avoid the Lincoln MKC, which also has a poor reliability record and questionable build quality.

I don't want to dominate this thread, BTW, so I'll be quiet and let some other people get their word and opinions in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-17 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 08:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are not going off-road, take a look at the '17 Mazda CX-5. Nice, premium look and feel and fun to drive. (Yes, that's ours in the pic.)
Attached Thumbnails New car shopping, thoughts on jeep renegade-front-three-quarter.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 06-09-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 08:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are leasing or planning on just keeping the car for a short time then roll the dice if you really like it. But if you are thinking of keeping it long term, then you will eventually get burned by poor reliability and repair costs.
Old 06-09-17, 09:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Honestly, you are much better off with the asian offerings in this category. If you can stretch out your geographic perimeter, I think you open up the door to a lot more solid choices. And these choices will be ones that keep you away from a dealership over the longhaul. So the distance issues wouldn't be an issue once you own the vehicle. A CRV, RAV4, Tucson, Santa Fe, and CX-anything would serve you very well in all departments.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-09-17 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 09:57 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea of a 6 speed in a vehicle like this, but with the experience I read here....I'd only rent one...the thread becomes hilarious with FCA's great customer service and lack of ability to respond to a threat of a lawsuit.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...al-Impressions
Old 06-10-17, 12:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd highly recommend a Rav4, if you're looking at a Jeep Renegade and just want something that has a lot of space, sits high, and AWD for the snow. My sister bought a 2013 Rav4(first year for the new body style), base LE, FWD, black/tan cloth interior. She had to special order/get that car shipped from another dealer to get that tan interior, as most of them had black or grey.

Honestly I know a lot of people have crapped on the "material quality" on the Rav4 vs its competitors, but after 4 years, that car still looks great inside, nothing has broke, and IMO the tan looks a lot more stylish with the black dash vs the very boring dark grey or black options.

Anyways, that car has been just top notch for her, it has over 60k miles on it now, not a single damn repair on it, nothing has gone wrong, and this is a first year model on an all new vehicle. Just regular oil changes. Hell it feels just as tight as new, it doesn't have a single rattle in it, and is a good bit quieter at cruise than a similar year Camry.

I've driven it quite a bit, but I do have one serious hangup that would keep me from buying a Rav4. Acceleration/power is actually quite impressive for a 4 cylinder(its not a hot rod, but adequate IMO), gas mileage is about 25mpg in mixed driving(awesome for this type of car IMO) the transmission is great, its always in the right gear, doesn't hunt, brakes are good, handling is decent, but man the electric assist power steering just drives me nuts any time I drive her car.

Its completely devoid of feel, like driving that old Cruising USA Arcade game from about the year 2000 is the best description I can give to the steering. It tracks decently straight ahead, but its rather unnerving in corners, you have no idea what the front tires are doing other than using your inner ear for the car pitching into a corner, using your butt sliding off the seat, and using your outer ear for the tires howling. I mean I guess its okay if you never push the car around a curve. Hell the steering feel is exactly the same if you push it around the same corner at 20mph, 25mph, 30mph, or 35mph, you know the car isn't going to roll over, but the steering feels exactly the same.

Maybe Toyota has worked on the steering a bit for newer model Rav4's, but damn it is the only real thing I hate about her car. And I don't really care, since she's driving most of the time, comfort from the shotgun seat and especially the back seat is just great. Love that back seat, it reclines, has a ton of leg room for a "small" suv.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-10-17 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-10-17, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that Coleroad would probably be better off in the long run with an Asian or Korean brand (possibly Nissan excepted)...but he's told us, several times, that their dealerships are simply too far away. We have to respect the shopping conditions that he uniquely faces, which, right now at least, apparently favor domestic-nameplates. So.....let's recommend what we think would be best for him under the circumstances. If it were me, I'd probably favor something from GM over either Ford or Chrysler, as think that GM outdoes them in overall build quality. But, if he finds something from Ford, Dodge, or Jeep that he likes and suits his purposes....fine. Even having said that, though, I'd probably avoid the Renegade....I found it rather unimpressive overall, but it does have a low price, good outward visibility, easy manuvering/parking, and space efficiency. And I'd also avoid the Compass, as it is not a true Jeep, but simply a redone FWD compact car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-17 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 01:02 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

For what it's worth and especially considering the OP lives much closer to a Dodge-Jeep dealer than others I'd still consider the Jeep Renegade and Wrangler, especially if some light dirt roads, mixed weather and other uses off of paved roads are planned on. I like Tacomas and 4Runners also but if Toyota is to be avoided based on proximity to a service center that will honor and preserve the warranty I'd go with Jeep.

The Renegade even has an AWD 6-speed manual 1.4 turbo base trim if that appeals to you. Otherwise the 2.4L Trailhawk model (automatic only) with it's crawl and descent control is nice.

You can't go wrong with a Wrangler but the 2018 model with a turbodiesel engine option for better fuel economy has been long, long overdue. For the gasser at least you also have a manual gearbox option but the upcoming diesel engine models are the ones to get new. Wranglers can also still be had in a 3-door version. It's the only SUV on the market in the U.S. that doesn't make four doors and a rear hatch your only choice.

As for reliability, that workhorse 160hp 1.4L turbo engine has been in use for a while now in the Fiat 500 turbo, 500 Abarth and outgoing Dodge Dart among others. Very popular in the 500's. I've driven a 500 1.4L turbo (non Abarth) and Dart 1.4L I liked the engine a lot in both vehicles. I can't comment on the 2.4L "Tigershark" engine but I haven't heard any raves about it. There is more love out there for the 1.4L turbo engines.

Something surprising I learned a while back when I first looked into the new Renegade myself: it's actually slightly longer and slightly taller than a Wrangler. You think it's smaller because it's a "compact" and its styling is meant to evoke small but it's basically the same size and then some. I understand it has to do with the assumed take rate but it's really weird that the Renegade has no 3-door option considering Jeep is reviving a nameplate that was only available in the 80's in a 3-door chassis.

Jeep actually has a very good pair of twins in the Renegade and Wrangler that are sized similarly and priced within a distance of one another but which serve slightly different purposes well.

In contrast I recently I discovered the Toyota C-HR car-based small SUV on a dealer lot. I loved the styling and reviews of how well the chassis was designed. Then I discovered it's only available in a 144hp naturally aspirated FWD configuration with a CVT transmission in the U.S. Europe, Japan and other markets get AWD models, a manual transmission option and a 1.2L turbo engine option. Nice as it looks and nice as the chassis is there is no comparing a C-HR with a Renegade AWD model. Even if the Renegade's 9-speed automatic has so-so shift logic it's still better than any CVT. And... you can get one with a manual transmission if you wish. It's a shame because the C-HR *looks* great. Then again the boxy looks of the Renegade are great in a different way.

Mazda and Hyundai also make nice small SUV's with decent options for the money. Ford and GM have lots of great products and a far better reputation for reliability and quality but at the moment neither of them build any semi-off-road SUV that appeals in the same way the Renegade and Wrangler do. The upcoming Bronco will hopefully add another legitimate affordable offering into the mix.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-12-17 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very few people take a brand new 4-wheeler offroad. A lot of the "trail rated" goodies are there for bragging rights because you have a big investment there . . . and some questionable insurance claims in your near future should you indulge in serious rockhopping. That's why "soft-roading" has become popular. Running the fire trails of the West, or the backroads of 2-lane America, provides a lot of "content" for your wanderlust - without endangering a whole lot of money or destroying your ride to work on Monday.

If you must go bushwhacking, do so in a reliable used vehicle, and install a few mods for the purpose: belly pans for the whirly bits and fuel tank, roll bars, auxiliary fuel tanks or a couple of jerry cans, a lift kit, serious springs and shocks, locking diff and a couple of other goodies, plus a tool kit, shovel, tow straps, etc. THEN head out into the boonies. Finally, as an experienced "swamper" friend down in the everglades once told me, "Then try not to do anything stupid." He should know, he paid his way through engineering school dragging idiots out of the swamp.

If that's too serious for you, even my AWD Lexus RX could do some pretty decent scenic soft-roading, if you get some good instruction and take it easy while learning your limits and those of your mount. First, it's not a tank . . . it won't just go where you point it - there are limitations. Learn them well before starting out - then understand there's no shame in getting out and walking the trail ahead of you to be sure there aren't any surprises like cliffs, deep holes, soft ground, or streams that are a lot deeper than they look. Stomping around on the trail ahead to ensure it's solid enough for passage can save a lot of anguish when you're buried up to the axles. When in doubt, turn around. Finally take your GPS and cell phone. If you're really out in the outback, consider renting a sat phone for the weekend. It sure beats walking through 50 miles of snakes and 'gators for help.
Old 06-12-17, 11:49 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

For a GM, Ford or FCA branded vehicle, have you considered the Durango? You can get them with a "LIfetime Maxcare" warranty (additional cost obviously but covers lifetime for a ton of parts!), I did like the Durango but wife ruled it out due to the cramped 3rd row seats....which I assume is something you probably won't need. Comes with a highly respected infotainment system, powertrain is decent, ride is pretty good. That or a Grand Jeep Cherokee would be my options depending on your budget, or holding out another 6 months to see what new vehicles are available in the Jeep stable.
You could also explore the Ford Explorer (see what I did there? haha) and the new 2018 Equinox seems to be a respectable option as well.
Old 06-12-17, 11:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd go for ....(if you're concerned about reliability you can pick up extended warranties for CHEAP!)

Last edited by bagwell; 06-12-17 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:36 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude that is a SMOKING deal on those Grand Cherokees. Even in base, kind of cheap feeling cloth seat version, the Grand Cherokee about a 1,000 times nicer car than the Renegade. Lots more refinement, better off-road ability, good power with the V6, you can tow stuff with it, lots more room inside. I know loaded Renegades are about the same price, IMO its no contest on which car is nicer, the frosting like heated leather seats, sunroof, etc can't hide the fact that you're basically buying an el-cheapo Fiat city car with a bit of ground clearance and AWD.

I also know this is purely subjective, but the Renegade looks like a toy. It just screams "daddy's money", aka you are that spoiled rich chick sorostitute, daddy bought you a new car to go to college type of car, you chose the Renegade because its "cute". The Grand Cherokee looks great IMO, out of college a few years, starting to make some decent money, and this is the first new car, the first NICE car you've ever owned. I know that's a pretty strongly subjective, but I have a hard time taking anybody who bought a Renegade(or a Fiat 500) seriously.
Old 06-13-17, 06:06 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Thank you for everyone's advice and opinions. We made our purchase yesterday. We bought a new Buick Encore. A big change from the lr3. My wife is happy not to have to climb to get in. I said to my wife on the way home " I can't go off-roading anymore now" her " thank goodness " lol. I'm good with our choice, and my wife is really happy with it. You gotta love the four year fifty thousand mile bumper to bumper. Here's a picture of the new and out going together.
Old 06-13-17, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coleroad

Thank you for everyone's advice and opinions. We made our purchase yesterday. We bought a new Buick Encore. A big change from the lr3. My wife is happy not to have to climb to get in. I said to my wife on the way home " I can't go off-roading anymore now" her " thank goodness " lol. I'm good with our choice, and my wife is really happy with it. You gotta love the four year fifty thousand mile bumper to bumper. Here's a picture of the new and out going together.

Congratulations. I generally like Buicks myself, for several reasons. Not only do you get the 4/50 Bumper-to Bumper coverage you mentioned, but also 6/70 on the drivetrain.....same as with Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, and Lincoln. Although it's possible to get a lemon from almost any brand, you should find the Encore considerably more reliable then a typical Land Rover product....and less-expensive to service. One reason for its generally good reliability (as with other smaller Buicks) is that it is essentially a redone German Opel....in this case, the Opel Mokka (recent Opels, unlike older ones, have an excellent reputation for quality). Other small Buicks are also re-done Opels, although in some cases with American GM drivetrains....the soon-to-be-discontinued Verano is an Opel Astra, the Regal is an Opel Insignia, and the Cascada an Opel Cascada.....all with Buick's noted Quiet Tuning sound insulation.

The Encore is a nice little runabout SUV with a very plush and quiet interior for its class...but don't expect much power out of the small engine....a 1.4L turbo four. In return, it will give generally good MPG for an SUV....the new 2017 version has a start/stop system for the engine at idle. Ride comfort, being a relatively softly-sprung Buick, is good for its class, but the tall stance and short wheelbase can, in some instances, produce some mild pitching.

Did you get a new 2017?.......the picture you posted is of the last-generation version (2013-2016). The 2017 has a new front grille/headlights and dash design for the interior, more or less in line from what we are seeing with other new Buicks. I'd also assume you got AWD.....Kansas can get some nasty weather. (base versions, of course, are FWD).

Last, it is to be noted that the huge success of this vehicle in the American market is the primary reason the Verano sedan is being discontinued here...Buick simply needs more factory space to produce Encores.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-17 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: New car shopping, thoughts on jeep renegade